PDA

View Full Version : Suspension experts

okill
23rd October 2006, 15:36
any1 know where to get your suspension done suited to your riding style?

kro
23rd October 2006, 16:19
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37446

Danger
23rd October 2006, 22:30
Okill, for down your way I sugest you give Robert Taylor from NorthWest Motorcycles Limited a call. He is in Hawera. Phone 06 278 4160.
Tell him Greg Morrison from ProRide Suspension Services sent you.

okill
24th October 2006, 08:19
cheers guys will check those guys out 07 kx450f arrives on friday wooooot

Danger
24th October 2006, 08:38
What sort of riding are you doing Okill? Its a good idea to break in the suspension for about 12hours, then have the oil changed and any problems sorted out after you have had some time on the bike. Set your sag, check your spring rates, the shocks from the factories tend not to have been bled of air all that well and the nitrogen charge is a bit hit and miss too. So after 12 hours break in its a good idea to have both ends serviced and any changes made. If you are a hard core racer I can understand the requirement to pull things apart and changes made before racing. But for most a little time spent is helpfull to pinpoint what issues you might be having with any particular bike.

Good luck!

okill
24th October 2006, 09:06
i only do trial rides mainly im only 173cm and about 220lbs not into jumps that much now, i find the bike is a little high and just want it lowered abit im not concerned in losing some travel but i think a heavier rear spring might be needed .

Danger
24th October 2006, 12:28
Yeah the back end of the '06 is a little high and the valving was light. Did you get a spacer put inside the shock or did you go with aftermarket linkage? The front springs will be close on the '07 but your right about needing to go up a rate on the rear. A spacer inside the shock is a cheaper option than a new linkage.

okill
24th October 2006, 19:00
i was looking at the pro circuit linkage arms they say it lowers bike slightly tell me bout this spacer thing do i get that and heavier spring?

Danger
24th October 2006, 22:36
I usually make a spacer for the KTM shocks which are long and raise the rear of the bike too high. KTM work alot better once they are lowered a little in the rear, it improves trail at the front wheel and the chassis is more stable particullaly on down hills and when transfering weight to the front. The spacer can be made to suit each individual shock when its apart and is not expensive. It simply prevents the shock extending to its maximum height.
I'm not sure if Kawasaki have changed the linkage on the '07s or not, but the '06's needed a revalve anyway and I doubt you would tell the difference between a '06 with an aftermarket linkage and a revalved and lowerd in the back bike with a spacer. I rode an '07 KX250F in the weekend that felt jacked up in the back but it should be noted that no setup had been done to this bike to date. If the bike is a little tall for you a spacer can go in the back and the forks raised in the clamps. At 173cms your not that short and are slightly taller than me. I ride a std height RM250 without trouble in the woods and a KTM200 which has had the rear lowered to correct the stinkbug attitude that these bikes come with. When I ride bikes lowered 25mm or more I find I'm always bashing my feet and pegs. A spacer should lower the rear of the KX450F about 12mm which would be a good figure for that bike.