PDA

View Full Version : Bmw C1

Pogo2
23rd October 2006, 18:28
Saw one of these yesterday.

Anyone ridden one and what do they go like? I think they were about $10k? when they first came out. Not looking to buy one but just curious about peoples opinions.:scooter:

texmo
23rd October 2006, 22:20
they dont go with out the seat belt on. That says it all really.

Bob
23rd October 2006, 22:33
As Texmo says, you have to have the seatbelt on before they will go. Safety measure put in by BMW, I assume to allow for not wearing a helmet.

I've ridden one.. and they're odd. With the "roll-bar" over your head, at standing they feel very top-heavy. But this does disappear when on the move. That said, the need to keep the power on was felt when I went to ride it round a set of cones, as it just felt like it would turn top-heavy again. There is a definite powerband there though - not going to win any traffic-light GPs or anything, but once they're moving, they can nip along well enough.

It was a long time ago that I rode one, so the memory is a bit jaded, but I've always assumed they're for commuting - and personally I wouldn't really fancy commuting in a very busy environment on one. That said, I've watched people cheerfully filtering in one, so once you're used to them I guess you know how to handle the weight distribution.

I'm also assuming you'd want to get one so you didn't need to wear a helmet - no idea what the regulations are in NZ, but in the UK you still have to wear a helmet... which to me defeats having a roll-bar/protective frame in place.

sKilled
16th December 2006, 00:45
They were designed initially for the German market where a lot of scooterists were sick of having to wear a helmet whilst travelling 50km/h or less. Mainly a pain in the ass thing for couriers etc who constantly have to take their helmets off as it is a big security no-no (not just for Banks e.g. the Bulgari jewelery store in Hamburg - better bullet proof windows that the White House!). They were thus designed to eliminate the necessity for helmets.
The laws in Germany, however, are worded so that if one where to be in a vehicle which does not necessitate a helmet, then one must be restrained (hence the no belt - no start feature)
I agree that the C1 is silly if one must still wear a helmet, but if you can ride withut, it is supposedly quite nice. Especially as it has a windscreenwiper.
What's the situation here in NZ? Can a C1 driver go without a helmet?

Crasherfromwayback
16th December 2006, 00:58
But I think they're quite possibly the gayest invention since the BMW K1.:scooter:

HDTboy
16th December 2006, 08:10
To ride one in NZ, you must wear a helmet by law. BMW tried to get the law changed, but there's not a big enough market for them.
We had one as a service runabout for a while, I didn't like it very much. The roof was a distraction, A-pillars shouldn't tip in corners.

BMWC1
23rd February 2007, 14:48
Saw one of these yesterday.

Anyone ridden one and what do they go like? I think they were about $10k? when they first came out. Not looking to buy one but just curious about peoples opinions.:scooter:

Sold my R80-RT when a hoon nearly took me out in AKL. Bought two C1's, new, one for me and one for me mate (got a volume discount). Year later me mate's C1 crashed into a turning, stopped car at 40K, made a mess of the car, bounced all over the road in the C1 like a ping-pong ball. Every panel was scraped as it flipped on both sides, badly bent the bolt-on side crash bar. He came to a halt, unclipped the belts, climbed out, stood up, saw he had no injuries, just a small tear on the arm of his jacket, stood the bike up on the side of the road, called the dealer to haul it away, caught a taxi and went on to his meeting. On a normal scooter he would have been seriously injured or killed. He bought a replacement new C1 with the insurance.

That's the first benefit. Next is in heavy rain - you get a mild mist inside, and the windshield wipers are great, just like a car.

Driving is like in a small aeroplane, when you bank the horizon tilts. Takes a while to get used to. At first seems top heavy, but after a while it's normal. Fast enough for this country, 120 k top speed, automatic transmission (typical Italian), ABS brakes. Feels as heavy as the R80. The Italian engine noise is very un-BMW, noisy and not great mileage maybe 3.5 l per hundred in town, but it does have a catalytic converter so the greenies approve.

Perfect for in town and around local motorways - would imagine a sore butt on long trips. Especially good in local parking. Front row parking just like a scooter. Huge optional boot, big enough for a case of beer, according to German advertising. The kick stand is hand operated with a lever - very smart but if done wrong it shears a sheer pin to prevent serious damage. Most owners give up and drill a screw through the sheer pin.

It's not a car, and it really is not a motorscooter, it's something different, intended for a different market entirely. Thats why they stopped production, the BMW motorcycle boys hated it - sissy stuff. The car salesman didn't have a clue what to do with it. They should have opened a C1 cafe in Auckland's America's Cup Basin and in Parnell, paid the rent selling drinks and food, featured the bikes for the trendies wanting something Italo-sexy that goes through traffic like a hot knife in butter. Buyers tend either to be sexy young things in tight black dresses or 50's plus ex motorcycle guys who realise they are mortal and easily crunched in a crash. In the UK 50% of new buyers were women and 95% of new C1 buyers had never owned a motorcycle. There is a UK forum www.c1forum.co.uk as well as ones in Germany, Italy, etc.

They were $15,500 new, then they cleared at batch out at $10,000. No new ones left, but they come up for sale from time to time. Experience BMW in Newmarket has qualifed repair guys due to the volumes they sold. Three levels - basic (usually red), family friend (two tone) and executive (silver or black with fancy stuff like dome light, heated seats/handles, cellphone holder, extra netting and in some speakers for an IPOD. The optional boot (called a pizza delivery box or PDB) sells new for $1,100 here and £300 +/- on E-bay, but you have to collect it in the UK. You can put a second set of pegs for a passenger, but no safety and they sit outside the cockpit. Most of the NZ bikes are the C-200, some smaller engined C-125s around - not that much difference between the two, but given a choice go for the cubes.

A helmet is required in NZ, very bad idea as the bike cockpit is a helmet, just bigger. The UK did not approve the no-helmet rule because the C1 came out just as BMW was pulling out of its British car investments, and it was not flavour of the month.

Overall, it's an acquired taste, like a Smart Car.

avgas
23rd February 2007, 15:15
good for you.....haha

riffer
23rd February 2007, 15:17
But I think they're quite possibly the gayest invention since the BMW K1.:scooter:

What was so gay about the K1 (well, except for that colour scheme and the 18 inch rear wheel)?

Crasherfromwayback
23rd February 2007, 15:29
What was so gay about the K1 (well, except for that colour scheme and the 18 inch rear wheel)?

Everything except the colour and the 18" wheel!