PDA

View Full Version : Whangamomona Road

Chrissie
23rd October 2006, 18:31
Me and Jeff were thinking of going up through the road from Stratford to Taumaranui over Xmas. I see there is an unsealed bit in the middle. Before I bravely agree to ride through there, does anyone know what this road is like, especially the unsealed bit? I will be taking my Bros (as usual).

I don't mind unsealed road, but don't like riding over that really chunky metal stuff.:scooter:

trumpy
23rd October 2006, 18:37
PM Nadroj, he knows this road well and should be able to give you up to date info.

Motu
23rd October 2006, 19:58
Depends on what sort of maintenance they do on the road.I've been through there when there was practically no metal on the road,just smooth clay....other times they have remetaled and even with a 21in front wheel it was hard work.

Sensei
23rd October 2006, 20:08
Not as well as I know it . The unsealed is as a rule hard pack gravel with light chip along it > if wet it would be abit shitty but dry not to much to worry a confident rider. Drop me or Kev / Nadroj as PM to see condition or we could come along for a blast with ya

DemonWolf
23rd October 2006, 20:11
Last time I rode it last summer, there were patches that were clay as Motu mentions, but hard packed.. also patches with generious amounts of metal. Rode through with the TL but in a respectable 2nd gear. Other than a few slight moments on the metal it was a very good ride .. Just take your time and be careful

Hitcher
24th October 2006, 17:17
Every time I've been through there it has been as Sensei described it. It can get a bit cobbled in places. Just take it quietly and you should be OK. Make sure you top up your gas in Stratford (or Taumarunui) before setting sail, as it over 150km between pumps.

Chrissie
24th October 2006, 20:34
Thanks guys, it sounds like as long as it isn't pi... ing down it should be fine.

Just thought I would check. Someone should ask Jeff about taking me down Underhill Road from Featherston to Greytown. He decided we could ride through there except the map he was looking at was about 20 years out of date and it looks like there was a road there once. It's really rough at the end and when we got to the big concrete blocks I turned round and told him to shove Underhill Road.:angry:

anoeldcx
18th November 2006, 22:53
Just a quick note on the Whangamomona Rd, I did it years ago and it certainly was worth it -scenery etc., but I remember a tunnel on part of the unsealed stretch that you may need to be prepared for. I rode in expecting it to be the same surface as the rest of the road and discovered pretty quickly that it wasn't! It was badly rutted and because it takes a couple of seconds for your eyes to adjust it caught me out. Fortunately I stayed upright, but if I had ridden in at a slight angle I may have ended up on my arse. Enjoy!

Skunk
18th November 2006, 23:39
It looked like this in May of 2005:

http://www.skunkworks.net.nz/gallery/N2S-pics?page=5

Here's one:

Lee Rusty
19th November 2006, 01:11
it is pretty easy to ride
taken everything thro there from a GB 400 to aYam Venture Tourer
(my sister lives in Te hora - no probs - the tunnel has had floor fixed up after a couple of complaints from bikers who live local -

The head roading guy from Stratfors is a biker ad he keeps an eye on it and takes complaints seriously

if going thru call in Kaioto Cafe at top of hill after tunnel it belongs to a couple of our Rusty Nuts club people and bikers are always welcome

Hitcher
19th November 2006, 14:50
It looked like this in May of 2005

Great photos! I'm all homesick now...

V Twin Raver
19th November 2006, 17:14
Hi, I went over it in a cage just over a week ago. it has just been re-metaled and I think by Christmas the surface will be fine - only 12km long. As said previously, word has it that it gets pretty hard packed almost like a sealed road when no harsh weather conditions have been through there so summer should be all good.

upshift
28th November 2006, 22:36
Looked like this

Another group of riders on these road bikes got through OK

you'll be fine

Lou Girardin
29th November 2006, 05:47
The main worry I had were trucks that wanted the whole road. I was in a cage, so there's more room for a bike. But it still gets the heart rate up.

pete376403
29th November 2006, 16:33
Twas ok when i went over it and the pub makes it worthwhile

zzrriders
13th January 2007, 16:01
Hi we are intending to rock over to NP via the whangam rd. Any up dates out there on the current condition?

Also re the round the mountain trip is the coast rd on the inner route better?

Will the wind ruin my hair when i take my helmet off.?

trumpy
13th January 2007, 16:20
Take a look at these threads:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41565

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41383

This is a great ride, not be missed.:first: The road is in very good condition and the dirt section no problem on a sprot bike.

P.S. It's Taranaki, it's windy and of course it'll mess up yer hair! Wear some hair gel and go anyway.................

pritch
13th January 2007, 18:22
Also re the round the mountain trip is the coast rd on the inner route better?

If you want to do the scenic thing use the coast road "Surf Highway 45" or whatever. If you are in a hurry you could use the inland (Wiremu) Road.

Will the wind ruin my hair when i take my helmet off.?

No, your helmet will have already done that.

peanuteater
14th January 2007, 06:29
Hi we are intending to rock over to NP via the whangam rd. Any up dates out there on the current condition?

Did the new plymouth to taumranui ride on monday (8th jan) via whanga, road is in pretty good condition, the unsealed bit is ok, was doing an ave off 50 ks on it, could have comfortably done a bit faster, but was by myself and didnt want to push it to much, worst bit to me was the tunnel, and getting the eyes used to the change of light :)-best i can rem, there was mesh all the way thru... if youre lucky and and its a fine hot day, and youre really getting into the twisties, theres a couple of places to watch for melting tar on the saddles, front wheel slid slightly a couple of times.

nadroj
14th January 2007, 06:47
20Th January is republic day at Whanga so whether or not you want to join in the festivities or not you may want to avoid the traffic etc.

zzrriders
14th January 2007, 16:34
thanks guys, thats good information. Biggest question is should i clean the brutess before going? Yeh- but just because inhaling metal polish is good for the testorone levels .

Goblin
14th January 2007, 16:42
thanks guys, thats good information. Biggest question is should i clean the brutess before going? Yeh- but just because inhaling metal polish is good for the testorone levels .
Only if you have nothing better to do...ya bike will be filthy when you get home, mine still is after last weekend. Great ride though! Well worth it.

Hitcher
14th January 2007, 16:45
Question: Is the Inglewood Pohokura Saddle road fully sealed, or is there still a stretch of gravel after Matau?

Goblin
14th January 2007, 16:50
Question: Is the Inglewood Pohokura Saddle road fully sealed, or is there still a stretch of gravel after Matau?

The only stretch of gravel is after the tunnel for about 10 kms. All the saddle parts are sealed....although some bits were melted already.

Hitcher
14th January 2007, 16:54
The only stretch of gravel is after the tunnel for about 10 kms. All the saddle parts are sealed....although some bits were melted already.

That's the Tangarakau Gorge. I'm interested in the Inglewood to Pohokura Saddle stretch (the alternate way in to Whangamomona that avoids Stratford, Toko, Douglas, Strathmore and Te Wera).

nadroj
14th January 2007, 16:57

Lots of metal on that road from about 8km past Tarata to the end & quite rutty. (Goblin) That is the road we stopped at the end of on our way to Whanga.

Goblin
14th January 2007, 16:58
That's the Tangarakau Gorge. I'm interested in the Inglewood to Pohokura Saddle stretch (the alternate way in to Whangamomona that avoids Stratford, Toko, Douglas, Strathmore and Te Wera).
Sorry, can't help you there. Would be interested in that route too though.

edit: nadroj's onto it! ;)

pritch
18th January 2007, 14:25
I did that road years ago on a BMW 650 GS which is about the right tool for the job. I think the road is unsealed all the way from Purangi. I was at Purangi a few weeks ago and saw where the seal starts, I've seen where it ends lately too, so I guess the bit in the middle remains unsealed.

jeff
9th April 2007, 19:13
Yaay! finally got through the Whangamomona Road at Easter. We were going to go through after our trip away at Xmas, but the weather was horrible (took the two Honda Bros's)

We went up on Saturday to Opunake, left here at 1.30 and got to Hawera at 5.30. Stopped at a bar/restaurant at Hawera for tea, ordered the mixed bar snack for $20.00 and ended up feeding half the bar. They bought out this huge platter of food! People there were really friendly and chatty from the moment we walked into the place.

Stayed at the Motel & Backpackers at Opunake. The owner let us put our bikes in his garage and gave us the keys too. We stayed in the backpacker lodge - $20pp for a made up bed. Reminded me of flatting days. There was no food in the fridge, just alcohol. Felt like Mum and Dad, the average age staying there was about 20.

Went on to New Plymouth in the morning and took a look up the Mt Egmont Village Road. The road is a bit green in places. Saw a sign about the bike show in New Plymouth while passing through Inglewood (bugger!). Went across the Whangamomona Road (didn't fall off in the unsealed bit!) and finally got to Taumaranui. Went across to Turangi then down to the Rangipo Road and across to National Park Headquarters and then back across the Ohakune Road to Waiouru. Stayed at the motorcamp at Taihape last night and came home via Vinegar Hill, Feilding,Shannon etc.

Did 500K yesterday. I felt a bit knackered, but Jeff was ready for some more. Maybe I will just kill the smart alec now! :angry: I can't help being old and tatty!

We had really good weather.:sunny: Pretty lucky really. (1,084k all up):done:

Chrissie

pritch
9th April 2007, 19:56
So which of the Hawera hostelries did you visit? You make it sound so good I'd better check it out myself...

I hope SH43 had enough twisty bits for you :-)

jeff
9th April 2007, 20:25
don't know what it was called. We turned off the main drag at the Shell and it was just past the Pak & Save on the right with tables and chairs out the front. The woman who works at the bar there told us her sister works at the Kaieto Cafe on the Whangamomona Road. There was a bunch of blokes treating their mate to his last night of freedom (he was wearing a very pretty pink dress and ball and chain).:love:

The truckie who joined us at our table informed us that it was just as well that we hadn't gone to the next pub up the road as the public bar was gang territory!:scooter:

Chrissie

oldrider
9th April 2007, 20:48
Me and Jeff were thinking of going up through the road from Stratford to Taumaranui over Xmas. I see there is an unsealed bit in the middle. Before I bravely agree to ride through there, does anyone know what this road is like, especially the unsealed bit? I will be taking my Bros (as usual).

I don't mind unsealed road, but don't like riding over that really chunky metal stuff.:scooter:

Re-think about what you have just said and take a proactive and positive approach.

Learn to handle it, there are always roadworks all over the country and that is where some of the real problems can be.

Make these conditions your friends and negotiate with confidence and skill, be not afraid, be prepared! :ride: Cheers John.

Bonez
9th April 2007, 21:09
Did the unsealed bit on a loaded up GB400 with a flat front tyre no worries after our trip around the East Cape last Queens B'day weekend - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30428&page=2

ynot slow
17th April 2007, 21:18
that cafe is 'barries',actually all in hawera are good,if the pub refered to was the white hart no probs there,very friendly folk,the trucky was being a dick,if you are an arsehole then most pubs will be unfriendly to newcomers,if you are friendly,the locals will be too. when driving through hawera and need drinks stop and enjoy,from north or south follow signs to town centre.

pritch
18th April 2007, 08:04
Used to do a fairly regular ride down to Rough Habits for brunch on the weekend. They had a brilliant weekend menu but sadly I discovered on my last visit that all has changed. Very ordinary. The staff are still friendly but the menu is crap.

So now I have to try Barry's and report my findings to the owner's wife :-)
Might combine that with a visit to Dr Robert?

Still, it's a shame about Roughies.

ynot slow
18th April 2007, 18:38
Used to do a fairly regular ride down to Rough Habits for brunch on the weekend. They had a brilliant weekend menu but sadly I discovered on my last visit that all has changed. Very ordinary. The staff are still friendly but the menu is crap.

try Morriesons as well for brunch,especially the steak sammy,bloody good.Roughy's meals /menu was good last time we were there,but doesn't it piss you off when they change all of it,maybe some seasonal items ok but majority sucks.in winter they used to do seafood chowder which was great,but not anymore.

nadroj
18th April 2007, 20:18
Morriesons is my choice especially their Cod Bites, however Rough Habits does a mean $20 platter - enough to feed 6.

Hitcher
18th April 2007, 20:45
Brunch in Hawera... Sounds like an excuse to roll one's Loyal Indian Companion out of bed early on a Saturday and head northwards before the first sparrow farts and the crack of dawn gets nervous.

ynot slow
19th April 2007, 19:46
great idea,todays weather was f..ken brilliant,was around the coast today for work,mountain clear as,even snow,thats why it's been chilly at night lol,watch out for the cops,went through eltham at 2.00pm today and doing breath tests in town,one cop in middle of road,couple of road cones and he was in his element,stopping cars either way.give us a pm if coming up,i'll be at work in morning so can zoom up for a beer or so.: :Punk:

ynot slow
19th April 2007, 19:53
Morriesons is my choice especially their Cod Bites, however Rough Habits does a mean $20 platter - enough to feed 6.
morriesons chicken n bacon kebabs were good to.
used to go to morriesons friday nights,usually a group of guys on piss,ex owners were great,we decided to make a new pizza one night.told the barstaff we wanted a steak n egg pizza,out it came pizza base all cheesy,couple hunks of steak about an inch thick,4 eggs cracked on top and onions.brilliant we called it the kiwi pizza(after nz and dairy co),then those ad guys from burger king used the name for a burger.roughies still do mean platter,but can be too filling as ya can't drink afterwards lol.