PDA

View Full Version : Rotorua Road Trip on the ginnys...

judecatmad
23rd October 2006, 20:36
.....or as it shall hereafter be known - "The road trip to hell and back"

We took a trip from Wellington to Rotorua this weekend, yup, this is despite the severe weather warnings...!

Bikes were all gassed up, tyres checked, oil checked, chains oiled..you know, all the usual stuff before a long trip.

Started off well enough - the sun was shining as we went over the Rimutakas :sunny: and I was really pleased with how my cornering has evolved :D It was hubby's first time over the hill and he did really well - especially since it was his first time back on his bike since he busted his elbow after coming off about 6 weeks ago.

Got petrol in Masterton (keep an eye on these petrol stops...).

The front that was working its way up the north island was behind us and we had stunning weather all the way to Napier (we took the long route to Rotovegas). I had a hissy fit at a picnic area just before Hastings cos I was so sore and so tired (think I need to harden up...)! Anyhoo....we finally got to Napier after about 6 hours (the ginnys really are not terribly fast OR comfortable, LOL) and it was so hot that we stripped off to t-shirts and took the woolly liner out of the bike pants.

Stopped for a spot of lunch and a cold drink and then it was petrol stop #2 and onto the Napier-Taupo road.

And this is where the front caught up with us :( Now, remembering that we have by now stripped down to summer gear and there's nowhere to stop on this road, it starts p!ssing down and gets very cold indeed :cold:

I swore that goddamn road was never going to end!!! Dave almost got caught up in an accident when a car decided to overtake us both going into a corner only to find another car coming the other way :eek5: Luckily it was all OK, but Dave almost needed new trousers....

Now, I've never been all that keen on Taupo, but oh my! I could have gotten off my bike and kissed the tarmac when I saw that wonderful town! Civilization once more...what a relief!

We scooted on through Taupo to try and get to Rotorua before dark. We'd been going about 9 hours at this point :blink:

And then all of a sudden, there was no Dave.....

(remember those petrol stops? Well, we've not had one since just outside Napier if you'll remember...)

It would appear that someone went onto reserve on the Napier-Taupo road but didn't think to stop at the very next gas station he saw and didn't tell wifey so that wifey might remember to stop!

It would also appear that my ginny is more economical than his ginny since I was not yet on reserve. So, once I had gone back to find him (my bad for not keeping an eye on whether I could see him behind me), we took me pretty much down to reserve (thank goodness we had a water bottle with us) to give him enough petrol to get to Rotorua, or so we hoped.

But no, he puttered to a stop 8kms outside Rotorua. So off I went to the BP at the top of Rotorua to get a full tank of fuel to share with him! Here's to travelling with 2 bikes!

We finally landed in Rotorua at about 7.30pm and soon realised, to our horror, that EVERY motel in town was full. As was EVERY hotel we came across.

We stopped outside the (closed) tourist information office. And this was when I really threw teddy out of the cot! Dave got pissed off and rode off. I followed.

To his credit, he found us a room. He's a patient man!

We got into the room and I burst into tears I was so cold, sore and tired!

The room was dreadful but it was a bed for the night (tip: Don't stay at the Princes Gate Hotel if you can avoid it)

Got up the next morning, gave feedback to the hotel before brekkie, went off to find us another room for the next night - nice and early this time! Found a great place (Fenton Court Motel [Best Western] - lovely chap running the place, LOVELY spa pool, parks right outside the room - perfect!).

Brekkie at Valentines - nothing special but we were hungry and it was cheap. Got talking to a lady from Pinehaven whose partner, Aaron, rides a bike. He looked at me like I was crazy when I said we'd ridden from UH on the ginnys - I don't blame him for thinking that! Checked out of hell-hole and into new lovely place then went off for a ride around the blue and green lakes. Was a lovely day.

Bottle of wine and a spa later we were ready to take on dinner and the Polynesian Pools :D

Got scalded at the Polynesian Pools cos one of their pools was playing up and the temp was 46 instead of the expected 36! Ouch!

Finally made it back to the motel and crashed! Sooooooooooooo tired!

Got up this morning (VERY unwillingly....so comfy...) to torrential rain. Oh dear.

And that's pretty much how it was ALL the way home.

Was a better ride home for me cos we bungy-corded my backpack to my seat which meant I wasn't so tired when we (finally) got home. But the rain...oh god the rain.

Steamed up visor all the way along the Desert Road was a bit of a worry. Especially with steamed up glasses too.

Found out that my jacket isn't as waterproof as it claims to be. In fact, you could say that it's not all that waterproof at all cos 2 jumpers and 1 t-shirt ended up soaked. As did my waterproof pants and their woolly liner. Oh, and my boots and socks! In fact, when we stopped at Waiouru I took off my boots and poured the water out of them!

We'd filled up with gas at Rotorua, Taupo, Taihape and then again at Bulls (lesson learned from the journey there, LOL) so no chance we'd get caught out......well, apart from the stop we had at Paraparam when Dave's bike decided to die and the nice policeman at the Refreshment Stop had to give him a push start!

And then there was the traffic just before Otaki. So much traffic! All I wanted to do was get home!!!

And of course piecock hill road is closed so we had to come across Haywards Hill - put my new found appreciation for corners into action and had some fun going past Whitby :D That was probably the only part of the journey home that I enjoyed!

Left Dave on the Whitby road cos his bike doesn't corner so well (needs new shocks) and waited for him at the Pauatahanui roundabout. Saw a bike coming round behind me so scooted off into the traffic again, only to realise just after Judgeford that the chap following me had 2 mirrors and Dave's bike only has one! :rofl: Pulled over and waited again. Dave came along eventually.....LOL

We got home at 4.30pm, 8 hours after we'd left Rotovegas. Cold, wet, hungry, sore, tired......

The cats are glad to have us home, I'm glad to have MADE it home!

PLEASE tell me this isn't what road trips are all about....cos if they are, then I don't think I'm really a biker :(

After this trip, the next time we do a bike trip, I'm taking the car!!!

Ixion
23rd October 2006, 20:47
Yup. Just part of the bikers rich tapestry of life. When you're old you'll look back with fond memories on that trip, and chuckle.

merv
23rd October 2006, 20:56
Sounds like fun and it can only be better next time.

Zapf
23rd October 2006, 21:58
Wow... you have done a good sized riding trip on some shit weather and came to tell the tale. And that is on 2 GN250's too. It is an achievement, now that you have experienced this anything else will be better :)

You go gal! :yes:

zuk
24th October 2006, 06:09
i,m pretty sure that it was me that passed you ,you pulled over just by the golf course ?
i'd just made the same trip on the 800,might have been a little more comfortable tho,lol
well done on the trip-been there,done that on a GN as well so know the feeling

Matt Bleck
24th October 2006, 07:26
Wow what trip, they can only get better aye?

slimjim
24th October 2006, 07:26
:yes: :rockon: yup and you can say you've :done: that, :yes: :yes: :mellow:

yungatart
24th October 2006, 07:33
Woohoo! Busa Pete saw you guys on the Napier Taupo road - you should have called in here- could have crashed our party and stayed here the night..
Well done on that ride!

Blackbird
24th October 2006, 07:42
I'm with Ixion - you'll look back on the ride with a great deal of fondness when the shock wears off. Top marks for doing the trip on Ginny's:rockon:

Having owned a couple of top brand textile jackets, I'm still a bit leery about their rainproof characteristics in really atrocious conditions and still use my Spool jacket and trousers over them for a really long run - solid plastic, no leaks and about $150!

Great to hear about your excellent trip!

MSTRS
24th October 2006, 07:54
Great story for the grandkids....you know, back in the old days before everyone had personal teleporters....
Brave peoples!!

skelstar
24th October 2006, 08:01
Excellent report. If anything the trip will steel you for the next one and provide good stories for grandchildren.

Paul in NZ
24th October 2006, 08:09
You will have better rides - and you will have worse ones and yet as time heals the pains you will remember them all with glee - memories.

Once you get a slightly larger pair of bikes you will find it a little 'easier' and never wear a backpack - panniers are cheap these days and well worth the $$. Probably cost less than the visit to the doctor afterwards.

One thing I have learnt is not to try and ride too far on any given day - yeah you can do it BUT is it fun? Not for me. If you are on a less capable bike (I include both mine in that class these days) it's important to start early and put the bulk of the daily trip under your wheels early. That gives you options should things go wrong later on. I'm also a great believer in flexible destinations, especially with the weather like it is now, your mileage may differ.

However, I'm impressed by your trip, the write up and the GN's ability. Perhaps you need to work on the toy throwing though? :shit: :shutup:

Cheers

dhtnz
24th October 2006, 10:31
I would point out (as I was the other half who had to put up with the toy throwing) that I was of the opinion that we should have stopped in Napier for the night. Someone (who shall remain un-named but is the person who started this thread) wouldn't have any of it and refused outright to stay in Napier and was going on to Rotorua regardless.

judecatmad
24th October 2006, 10:38
I would point out (as I was the other half who had to put up with the toy throwing) that I was of the opinion that we should have stopped in Napier for the night. Someone (who shall remain un-named but is the person who started this thread) wouldn't have any of it and refused outright to stay in Napier and was going on to Rotorua regardless.

Indeed I was - stubborn as a mule and just as unwilling to admit it at the time :innocent:

Would not have prevented a ride home in the pouring rain tho, would it dearest?! :love:

skelstar
24th October 2006, 10:46
Cat Fight!!!!

Kendog
24th October 2006, 11:00
Good on you guys!! And special brownie points for doing it on GNs and in the CRAP weather of the weekend!:scooter: (You mad buggers!)
Mrs KD.

judecatmad
24th October 2006, 11:07
Cat Fight!!!!

LOL, no, the cats at the homestead are perfectly happy :D

I'm a pain in the @rse when I'm cold, wet, tired and hungry (I'm English, I'm a pain in the @rse most of the time if truth be told :rofl:) so the poor boy has a lot to put up with!

But the next time I see 'severe weather warning' on the metservice website, I'm going to listen to the little voice inside my head (mostly I try to ignore them...) that's telling me to stay home in the warm as opposed to the little voice outside my head telling me to 'come on, it'll be fine and you'll really enjoy it'! LOL

:dodge:

It is something to giggle about in hindsight tho and like a few people have said - after this trip, every other one will seem REALLY easy! :scooter:

Colapop
24th October 2006, 11:13
After this trip you may not want to upgrade the Ginny's!! The same trip on different bikes will seem a whole world different. The weather factor may have played a little influence too. The big thing here is, you've learned so on this trip that you wouldn't have learned pootling around town. Gas mileage on trips is very different, wet weather gear is not always what it claims, weather forecasts for different parts of the country are really different sometimes... and the cats can live without you for a day or two...

judecatmad
24th October 2006, 12:36
i,m pretty sure that it was me that passed you ,you pulled over just by the golf course ?
i'd just made the same trip on the 800,might have been a little more comfortable tho,lol
well done on the trip-been there,done that on a GN as well so know the feeling

Nice blue bike with a cammo backpack on the back of it? Sorry if I startled you when I pulled out into the traffic just after the roundabout or held you up at all :D

It was a really funny moment when I realised you weren't Dave! :rofl:

Paul in NZ
24th October 2006, 13:11
It never pays to be too destination oriented when riding - some days, some rides are just not meant to be. You need to ask yourself why are you doing this? Fun? Um....

Bail to a nice warm motel room, order up a bottle and relax...

Mind you - this is mr ride home at 1pm in the rain talking so wtf do I know? :shutup:

Paul N

Wolf
31st October 2006, 14:57
Great ride report, judecatmad.

Welcome to KB, dhtnz.

Good on both of you for undertaking the ride on ginnies. I've ridden all sorts of bikes on long journeys and it's my opinion that you don't need a 600cc or larger bike to tour the countryside (though sometimes you have to work your plans around the limitations of your bike, like budgetting 2 days to take a 1954, 150cc Zundapp scooter up to Whangarei 2-up).

Lias frequently took his ginny to New Plymouth and back - often enough to demonstrate that the bike is reliable enough to clock up a lot of kms.

It's a bugger about the weather but you will look back on it fondly some day. I already look back on bloody-near freezing solid on Desert Road in the early hours of a sleety morning (and having metal bits snap off the CB360) with fondness and perhaps someday I'll come to look upon the long, painful ride from Palmerston North to Hamilton on my LS400 with fondness.

You've already found better ways to carry your gear than wearing a backpack (says the guy who spent four days riding the Zundapp to Whangarei and back wearing his backpack on his chest so his wife at the time could fit on the back of the bike).

You'll get good rides and bad rides, you'll learn what gear works best for you and the conditions you ride in, and you'll look back in years to come at the adventures you had and the lessons you learned and grin like bloody maniacs.

Happy riding!