PDA

View Full Version : UK License question ...

Whynot
24th October 2006, 07:51
So i'm heading off to the UK for the big OE early next year ......
But at this stage i may only have my Restricted bike license. :scooter:

So I was just wondering if somewhere in the great pool of wisdom that is KB there was someone who knew what this would effectively turn into when i enter the UK.

i.e would it become a "learners" or a "full" as they don't seem to have a restricted stage over there ....

any help would be great :done:

ceebie13
24th October 2006, 09:48
i.e would it become a "learners" or a "full" as they don't seem to have a restricted stage over there ....

Fraid you're wrong there. Its a wee bit complicated to explain here. You should get all your answers here.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/bikes.asp

judecatmad
24th October 2006, 10:32
From the above website:

Outside Europe
If you hold a full driving licence issued outside the EEA it may be possible to exchange it for an equivalent British licence. You should contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to find out if you can exchange your foreign licence.

If you cannot exchange your foreign licence you will have to apply for a British provisional licence and take a theory and practical test.

For further information about licences within the European Community visit the Europa Transport website.

It looks like you can only exchange a full licence, otherwise you have to apply for and sit the appropriate tests - bugger eh? :(

Whynot
24th October 2006, 10:35
Fraid you're wrong there. Its a wee bit complicated to explain here. You should get all your answers here.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/bikes.asp

yea had a look at that, but it still doesn't really clear it up ...

McJim
24th October 2006, 10:36
You'll be starting from Scratch as a motorcyclist but there's none of this 'wait 6 months' that I'm currently going through (doing it all the other way round).

I've heard of people in the UK sitting their Learner's in the morning and their full licence in the afternoon. Costs a few bob though - I'm sure someone on here mentioned it but I'm buggered if I know what words they used so shan't do a search.

Whynot
24th October 2006, 10:44
You'll be starting from Scratch as a motorcyclist but there's none of this 'wait 6 months' that I'm currently going through (doing it all the other way round).

I've heard of people in the UK sitting their Learner's in the morning and their full licence in the afternoon. Costs a few bob though - I'm sure someone on here mentioned it but I'm buggered if I know what words they used so shan't do a search.

this may have been it ....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2263&highlight=UK+Licence

scracha
24th October 2006, 10:48
You'd be better sitting the full test here before you go. Riding on roads in the UK is nothing like New Zealand though. Enjoy and don't forget to visit Scotland.

McJim
24th October 2006, 10:55
Don't forget to visit Scotland.

Shit - you meant there's more of the UK south of Carlisle? Who'd of thought it? And the link you posted Whynot isn't it - it was an off-topic passing comment in a thread about something completely different.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
24th October 2006, 12:53
look into an international driving permit before you leave, its good for 12 months. whether its applicable to your application, yourll have to mind out yourself. ring your local AA or LTSA etc

boomer
24th October 2006, 13:11
you can do a w/e course for about (no fukin pund sign on this fukin taiwanese keyboard)500 i think; should get you through 'L' to Full

Dai
24th October 2006, 14:06
Is there any way you can get your full NZ bike licence before you go over.

It is valid for 1 year from date of entry.

The bonus is that if you get pulled by the police and present a forgien licence they usually give you a right bollocking and tell you to go on your way.

A mate of mine is a traffic cop in Sth Wales and he told me this, as to prosecute a non UK licence requires aboout 6 months paperwork that the average cop doesnt want to do.

All traffic offenses, except parking, in the UK are considered criminal offenses and are treated as such.

Whynot
24th October 2006, 15:22
Is there any way you can get your full NZ bike licence before you go over.

It is valid for 1 year from date of entry.

The bonus is that if you get pulled by the police and present a forgien licence they usually give you a right bollocking and tell you to go on your way.

A mate of mine is a traffic cop in Sth Wales and he told me this, as to prosecute a non UK licence requires aboout 6 months paperwork that the average cop doesnt want to do.

All traffic offenses, except parking, in the UK are considered criminal offenses and are treated as such.

yea i may be able to .... its going to be tight for timing though.

basically i was just wondering if i did take my 6R over whether i would be allowed to ride a 250 or not ?

and if i have to actually sit a license test within the first 12 months or if the license just gets transferred

Dai
24th October 2006, 15:33
yea i may be able to .... its going to be tight for timing though.

basically i was just wondering if i did take my 6R over whether i would be allowed to ride a 250 or not ?

and if i have to actually sit a license test within the first 12 months or if the license just gets transferred

They limit their learners to 33 hp bikes.

250 cc

Never transfered mine. I was there 25 years. Did the learner bitto get a Brit licence at one stage. Lost it 1 year later (speeding, 2 year ban and enough points to keep me offf the road for 7 years before they cleared). Insurance is complosory, as is road tax. MOT (WOF) only if the vehicle is over 3 years old.

Rode on my kiwi licence after loosing the Brit one for 6 years. Took day trips to Paris to keep it valid.

scracha
24th October 2006, 19:32
250 MY ARSE. Graduated license. Learners are limited to 125cc and 15bhp (used to be 12). After passing they can ride any size limited to 33bhp for 2 years unless they are over 21 and sit a direct access course (harder test). If a learner over 21 then they can ride bigger bikes restricted to 33bhp but only under supervision of a DSA approved instructor (i.e. taking lessons).

L plates front and back in the UK. Can't ride on motorways (A MAJOR PITA over there) either.

Strongly suspect you won't be able to ride feck all over there unless you pass your full test before you go. In any event, if you're under 21 you will be paying megabucks to insure anything (compulsory) bugger than a 125 unless you have significant NCB and at least 2 full license.

Dai
24th October 2006, 23:31
250 MY ARSE. Graduated license. Learners are limited to 125cc and 15bhp (used to be 12). After passing they can ride any size limited to 33bhp for 2 years unless they are over 21 and sit a direct access course (harder test). If a learner over 21 then they can ride bigger bikes restricted to 33bhp but only under supervision of a DSA approved instructor (i.e. taking lessons).

L plates front and back in the UK. Can't ride on motorways (A MAJOR PITA over there) either.

Strongly suspect you won't be able to ride feck all over there unless you pass your full test before you go. In any event, if you're under 21 you will be paying megabucks to insure anything (compulsory) bugger than a 125 unless you have significant NCB and at least 2 full license.

missed the learner bit myself. over 21 so i did the direct course. seem to remember that they used to restrict youngsters to mopeds till they were 17.

Bob
24th October 2006, 23:55
I suppose the closest to your licence would be the 33bhp restricted - as suggested by others - but I'd recommend asking the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) first:

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/OrganisationDetails.asp?id=SXB41A-A77FEB20&cat=223

The above doesn't have a contact email, but there is a long list of departments in the following link - emails are included in there:

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/OrganisationDetails.asp?id=SXB42E-A77FA826

It might also be worth contacting an insurance company - Motorcycle Direct insure my wife and always seem to be friendly and helpful:

http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/contact.php?int=3799

Otherwise, a few years ago I interviewed Bill Roughton at Bike Tours UK - he is very helpful and would probably be able to come up with useful information. I'd also recommend him as someone who could come up with an itinerary for you, look into places to stay etc:

http://www.biketours-uk.com/index.cms

Hope some of the above proves useful.

scracha
25th October 2006, 18:14
missed the learner bit myself. over 21 so i did the direct course. seem to remember that they used to restrict youngsters to mopeds till they were 17.
They did. I was a bad boy and had a GP100 registered as a 50cc at 16. Mind you, I had an X5 (200cc 2smoke twin) registered as a 125 when I was 17. 3rd party only insurance (no fire and theft) was a 4 digit sum in kiwi money.

m99dws
26th October 2006, 07:25
After passing they can ride any size limited to 33bhp for 2 years unless they are over 21 and sit a direct access course (harder test).

It's not a harder test, it's the same test but on a bike of 46bhp or more.

Whynot
26th October 2006, 07:28
just got this email reply ...

From: drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk [mailto:drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk]
Sent: Saturday, 21 October 2006 4:12 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Motorcycle license enquiry

Thank you for your email.

You may drive on the strength of a full valid 1F 6R New Zealand driving licence for 12 months from the last date of entry if here as a visitor or 12 months from date of residency if here as a resident.

If you are resident outside the UK, are temporarily in this country and hold full ordinary entitlement you can drive any category of vehicle, up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the date you last entered the UK whether or not you brought the vehicle into Great Britain.

If you also hold full entitlement to drive large lorries or buses you are only allowed to drive large vehicles registered outside of Great Britain, that you have driven into the country.

As a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time you became resident.

To ensure continuous driving entitlement a British licence must be obtained before this period elapses by exchanging your licence for a British one. If you do not do this you must stop driving. However, an application to exchange a full valid licence will be considered within 5 years of your date of residency.

New Residents must not drive medium or large vehicles or passenger carrying vehicles until they have passed the relevant British driving test(s).

If you wish to exchange your valid licence and be issued with a British driving licence you will need to obtain a D1 photocard application form (available from and main post office) and return the completed form to the DVLA along with the relevant enclosures, your valid driving licence and a fee of £38.00.

I am afraid we will be unable to return your licence as, according to the exchange agreement, it has to be returned to the Licensing Issuing Authorities.

You should be issued with a full car and motorcycle driving licence.

For more detailed information regarding foreign licence please obtain our information leaflet D100 (available from any main Post Office).

Regards

Mrs X XXXXXXX
www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20/10/2006 01:00:20
To: <drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk>
Subject: Motorcycle license enquiry

Sir/Madam,

I currently hold a 1F 6R New Zealand drivers license, class 1 is car and 6 is motorcycle.
I would like to find out how this license would transfer to the UK, especially with respect to the motorcycle license.
I recently graduated from a learners motorcycle license (6L) to the restriced by a practicle assessed riding test.
The restriced allows the use of up to a 250cc motorcycle but removes other restrictions placed on the learner license such
as display of an "L" plate and riding at only 70km/h on the open road.
Any help in this query is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXXX

Whynot
26th October 2006, 07:38
then this ....

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you will be able to drive in the UK on the strength of your New Zealand licence for the first 12 months of residency and you would also be able to exchange this for a full UK licence (car and motorcycle).

Regards

Mrs XXXXXXXXXXX
www.direct.gov.uk

[THREAD ID:1-DFH64]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 23/10/2006 20:19:00
To: <drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk>
Subject: RE: Motorcycle license enquiry

Thank you for the reply.

So to confirm a few points, will i be able to use my license for the first 12 months of entry as an effective "full" car and motorcycle license ?
and if i wish to exchange my NZ license for a British license will it be exchanged for a "full" car and motorcycle license ?

Thanks for your help,
XXXXXXXX

I'm not sure but i think i may have confused them ....

scracha
26th October 2006, 12:31
then this ....

I'm not sure but i think i may have confused them ....

Never mind the license. I'd be checking out insurance quotes first.

m99dws
26th October 2006, 15:51

I'd agree to that, make sure you call and don't accept an internet quote, as you can always play them off each other and get the cost down further.

Bob
28th October 2006, 07:59
If you need any details of UK Insurers, PM me and I'll have a quick look at the bike mags to come up with a few URLs for you.

I also think the more clued up ones (as I said earlier, Motorcycle Direct seem to know their stuff) will probably be able to give you some guidance re: your licence. But, of course, if you can get a letter from the DSA/DVLA saying your licence will be good for 12 months here as a full licence, then who are you to argue? :scooter:

Yep, I did it around 18 months ago, it's a little more involved than just taking two tests though.

you can do a w/e course for about (no fukin pund sign on this fukin taiwanese keyboard)500 i think; should get you through 'L' to Full

It's not a weekend course either, the one I did was five days, day 1 was the CBT, days 2-4 were training, and if the instructor thought you were good enough then day 5 was your full test.

Yeh insurance will kill you eh, it's been on the rise in the UK for a long time, and because you HAVE to have it, they can pretty much charge what they want.

Not sure if they're still running at the moment, but I found elephant.co.uk to be pretty good.

boomer
28th October 2006, 08:35
It's not a weekend course either, the one I did was five days, day 1 was the CBT, days 2-4 were training, and if the instructor thought you were good enough then day 5 was your full test.

you can do w/e courses.

Bob
28th October 2006, 21:55
The following link gives you details of further training:

http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/training.htm

What you're looking at doing is called Direct Access or Accellerated Access.

The following link is from a training school about their Accellerated Access course - standard 4 day course:

http://www.a1motorcycletraining.co.uk/direct.html

But I did find one that runs a two day course (and shows their prices):

http://www.lightningpass.com/jkcm/default.asp?pg=15&lang=1

Don't know where you will based, but this is a list of training schools:

http://bikesource.co.uk/index.php?viewCat=43

Posh Tourer :P
29th October 2006, 00:55
The UK's licencing system is very good at transferring your exact restrictions from your current licence to their system. For example, I got a B + E class car licence which means driving any vehicle up to 3.5t plus towing up to a combined 7.5t. A normal B class licence only allows you to drive a 3.5t combined weight. The B is the standard car full licence.
I guess that they will transfer the restriction to 250cc onto your UK licence as a special condition. They are pretty good at transferring things exactly, to the point of creating the almost unused B+E class just for overseas licence swapping.
I would sit your full here. Or just run on a NZ licence, as it is valid for 12 months from date of entry, and I'm sure you will do trips to Europe and come back...... I had to swap mine because I was working which involved a lot of driving round the country......

Anyhow you do it, have fun on your OE.... I'm about to come home now.... I've owned 3 bikes while I've been over here, and insurance for a 22yr old male, not living in London, is about 350-odd pounds TPO on a BMW R100S or a Yamaha XJ600. But then I have an address I can register them to outside of London, and it took a bit of chatting and talking to get to that level. They will tell you that they don't recognise your overseas insurance history or riding experience, but if you arent asked about where your history was, don't tell them. Also don't mention that you are on a visa and not a resident, because that puts the prices up a lot too.... If you do get asked, go ring someone else who doesnt ask silly questions.

Nick from the nick
30th October 2006, 10:36
I currently have a full uk licence and can ride anything as i have had it for 21 years just wondering if i'll be limited when i move to New Zealand ?
Just a quick point do it the day trip to france way as the bike test in the UK is difficult !
If you really want to do a UK test wait till your 21 and go direct access £500 or about $1400 but it will only take you 5 days to get through a test and most of the schools that do these will retest you 3 or 4 times which should be enough for you to pass.

Whynot
1st November 2006, 09:41
Thanks for all the help guys :)
Looks like i better get my full before i leave or else its going to be a bit of a nightmare ...

I currently have a full uk licence and can ride anything as i have had it for 21 years just wondering if i'll be limited when i move to New Zealand ?

Nope, you can ride whatever you want for up to a year from when you enter the country, then you'll have to sit a theory test for every licence you have, i.e. one for car, one for bike etc..., then pay $40 and they'll give you a brand spanking new New Zealand license.

If you really want to do a UK test wait till your 21 and go direct access £500 or about $1400 but it will only take you 5 days to get through a test and most of the schools that do these will retest you 3 or 4 times which should be enough for you to pass.

Exactly what I did, except I passed first time with 1 minor only :D

scracha
2nd November 2006, 08:36
i.e. one for car, one for bike etc..., then pay $40 and they'll give you a brand spanking new New Zealand license.

Sat mine 3 weeks ago, it's around 80 odd bucks PER license...COMPLETE RIP-OFF.
Even if you sit them on the same day one after another the retards will make you do the eyesight test twice. The motorcycle theory test is a complete shambles....quite why questions about "what to do if your car bonnet flies up" appear in the test are beyond me.

fliplid
2nd November 2006, 14:43
All I had to do was the bike theory test and the highest class of vehicle I wanted to drive, since that would cover the cage as well... Just a thought!

Now, since a class 6 is a higher one than a class 5... LOL!

Sat mine 3 weeks ago, it's around 80 odd bucks PER license...COMPLETE RIP-OFF.
Even if you sit them on the same day one after another the retards will make you do the eyesight test twice. The motorcycle theory test is a complete shambles....quite why questions about "what to do if your car bonnet flies up" appear in the test are beyond me.

I'm afraid you got ripped.

I did one eyesight test, and then sat two theory tests (one car, one bike) and paid $120 all up, that's $40 for each test, and $40 to apply for the license.