PDA

View Full Version : Forest Trail to Kaeo: Strike 2

CBobR
24th October 2006, 19:13
3 weeks into my adventure bike... adventure, I was very well pleased. Spending much more time below the speed limit, and only (relatively) minor ZX10R lust.

With Chipster unavailable with a wee baby, and Zebedee unavailable with a wee electrical fire, I was a bit Norman No-Mates puttering around the forest when I met a pig hunter who pointed me in the direction of a trail through the forest to Kaeo, about 20kms long he said, and perfect for my bike… so off I went.

Attempt 1:
All was going well, there was a little rain but my TKC80 was gripping well. I was picking my way through the ruts (some of them deep enough to have my pegs folded up), when I made the newb mistake of trying to change ruts….. Bike upside down in a puddle. 15minutes of exercise later I was up, and decided to call it a day as the sun was getting low. Made it about 4kms in.

Attempt 2:
Lesson from yesterday well learnt and Chipster's advice in mind, I was standing up and choosing ruts well in advance which made things much easier. About 10km in things were much more road like, heavy rain, I was sitting down and going slowly incase a 4wd or logging truck were to come around the corner at high speed, surface not ideal for emergency stopping I thought when suddenly the front wheel shot sideways in a small clay rut. Instead of lowsiding, the front wheel regained grip and I steered myself slowly into the ditch. 1 mirror, 2 indicators. I’m glad to report falling off offroad is more comfortable than a road bike crash. Time to go home (only making left turns).
I just added a fuzzy photo; light patch of clay where the front was sliding on the left of the road (I was travelling in the opposite direction to what the bike is pointing in in the pic), ditch on the left where I landed (see if you can spot the missing indicator amongst the foliage).

Yep feel like a right twat, but am keen to try again after the new bits arrive (am yet to find out if BMW parts prices are reasonable, or should have bought an XR650R :)).
If anyone in the area on a similarly heavy bike wants to join me on attempt 3 I should be ready to go within the week I hope.

Also after procrastinating myself out of the Kaipara 200 training course, I am now extra committed to making the next available.

chris
25th October 2006, 08:43
am yet to find out if BMW parts prices are reasonable, or should have bought an XR650R :)).
Do you really want me to answer that.....

CBobR
25th October 2006, 08:55
Not too bad:
-Brand new BMW front indicator $60 (slightly cheaper than my honda ones),
-New rear indicator $80
-"mirror clamping piece" $40.

Yep still happy with my softly sprung leccy started bike :)... except for the riding position which gives my back grief, not as comfy as a CBR250RR :).

Ruralman
25th October 2006, 21:49
There's a good lesson here - in tricky stuff, especially if wet and slippery, the front tyre is almost more important than the rear. From that photo I'm not surprised you had trouble.
A wee tip here though is to take a tyre pump with you and let the pressures down in the front one to help ride over the edges of those ruts. the same will also help at the rear. Make sure the bike has rim locks on the front though.

NotaGoth
25th October 2006, 22:05
Now...............2nd picture you posted I know exactly where you were.... What track up through that way did you follow..???

Not shitting you if you followed that whole road.. Be very very very careful of tourist buses...

CBobR
25th October 2006, 23:01
Thanks Ruralman, good advice, I'm still coming to grips with off street tyre pressures. Also interesting you say it looks tricky in the photo as I was caught by surprise, lack of experience again I guess.

Not sure where exactly I was Kittie, I haven't found it on a map yet. I'll remember to charge my camera batteries next time so I can take more than two photos. The second photo there was a little way down the road from the track entrance (and right by another random track into the forest where I met the hunter), the second day I had my bike, all indicators intact, good times, I got stuck for the first time 3m from that spot :o. I saw the signs warning about the buses, but luckily didn't meet any. You've had some close calls?

Just back from the shed having saved myself $80 with a bit of indicator re-engineering. Down to $100 total crash damage, happy :) (dropped my ZX6R with crash bungs at ~60kph and did over $2000 damage)

35tickets
26th October 2006, 09:58
Hey CBobR,

Just out of curiousity where did the trail start? 20km to Kaeo sounds like a bloody good ride. I've got a KLR650 which needs some forest air.

If you want a fellow KB'er to join ya let me know thanx cheers

CBobR
26th October 2006, 11:34
I think the trail starts as I've indicated on the attached picture, I'm not sure though, will have to get Zebedee up there with his GPS. I'm not sure which branches of the trail gets you to Kaeo either :o. Next time I'll start with a full tank and in the morning, might see where a few of them lead.

Sounds good 35tickets. I just found the parts in stock at a dealer and they are on the courier... Courier from auckland to keri overnight isn't guaranteed though I've been told. Will let you know if they arrive tomorrow. Keen for a ride almost anytime though after the bike is legal again.

NotaGoth
26th October 2006, 20:47
Not sure where exactly I was Kittie, I haven't found it on a map yet. I'll remember to charge my camera batteries next time so I can take more than two photos. The second photo there was a little way down the road from the track entrance (and right by another random track into the forest where I met the hunter), the second day I had my bike, all indicators intact, good times, I got stuck for the first time 3m from that spot :o. I saw the signs warning about the buses, but luckily didn't meet any. You've had some close calls?

2nd pictures just off a tarsealed road, you go down a weenie drive to get to the creek?? Just looking at it and I'm positive its 1 of the 3-4 creeks up the Waiare.... Into the forest..???? Did you go into the part of the forest where theres a gate at the beginning, and you go through numerous creek crossings...? I go up that way in summer to go swimming.. Awesome swimming spots.. I know all about.. And have been warned by others about the buses... They drive through there like maniacs.. Were you up top near the Puketi forest..?

CBobR
26th October 2006, 20:58
Hi Kittie, yep 2nd pic just a little track from the seal, could've got there on my CBR instead of the dakar :).

Not sure where you are with the gate and the creek crossings? There was a gate, but no crossings. I think I must have been higher up in the Puketi. I am a bit of a water crossing fan though, you'll have to tell us where the track is you are talking about.

NotaGoth
26th October 2006, 21:17
Hi Kittie, yep 2nd pic just a little track from the seal, could've got there on my CBR instead of the dakar :).

Not sure where you are with the gate and the creek crossings? There was a gate, but no crossings. I think I must have been higher up in the Puketi. I am a bit of a water crossing fan though, you'll have to tell us where the track is you are talking about.

haha.. Yeah.. 2nd one up off the seal... Got my car stuck down by the creek... No fun when you have no cellphone coverage in that area.. :shutup:

Gate but no crossings... Bit lost now.. Then again havent been in that area in years and years.... Gate, but with crossings.. Is just a metal road.. Goes up through the forestry... There are tracks.. Well were tracks.. Going off that road.. Right into the forestry and stuff.. But I wouldn't know what its like now cause I haven't been on the specific road in yonks... Will do.. Will find some maps sometime and mark it out for you..

35tickets
27th October 2006, 09:38
Thats great mate good luck with the parts and give me a post if you keen to try again I'll meet up with you somewhere.

Just done the rusty nuts grand challenge on the KLR so need a new back tire just to get me to the starting line but all good here

That map looks pretty interesting!

CBobR
28th October 2006, 16:42
It was too windy to fish and 35tickets is keen to come up for a ride next Saturday on his KLR (anyone else? No other details confirmed yet) so I thought I'd better do some scouting, good excuse for a ride. Took a few pics along the way.

Pic 1: Parts arrived, the bike was like new (apart from the increasingly intermittent starter button). This picture is also my view 8-5 mon-fri.

Pic 2: Quick stop to get some cash from the ATM.

Pic 3: Random track.. with an out of focus bike

Pic 4: Chipster and I found this boat in the forest one lunchtime

Pic 5: The stock hand guards don't have any metal in them, but at least keep the gorse out of your knuckles on narrow trails.

Pic 6: There were tyre tracks heading into this stream, but I thought I'd better wait for company before I went down. I had to push the bike out of this position because the flowing water buried the back tyre in stones.

CBobR
28th October 2006, 16:44
Pic 7: Same as pic 6. Possibly a good place to swim?

Pic 8: The start of /the/ trail with Waiare Rd in the foreground. Sorry about the quality.

Pics 9-11: About 1km into the trail

Pic 12: Heading back to the office. The Bay of Islands is in the background, but very very small.

NotaGoth
28th October 2006, 16:53
Pic 7: Same as pic 6. Possibly a good place to swim?

Pic 8: The start of /the/ trail with Waiare Rd in the foreground. Sorry about the quality.

Pics 9-11: About 1km into the trail

Pic 12: Heading back to the office. The Bay of Islands is in the background, but very very small.

Pic 6.. Think I was mistaken seeing that pic.. 3rd swimming hole.. Not 2nd.. Looks like floods never washed creek out this year round..Fuckit I'm going for a drive to have a look tomorrow...

Transalper
28th October 2006, 18:37
Nice pics. A quality adventure by the look af it.

CBobR
29th October 2006, 10:10
Cheers Transalper, and all within half an hour of Kerikeri, the Orewa of Northland.

Pic 6.. Think I was mistaken seeing that pic.. 3rd swimming hole.. Not 2nd.. Looks like floods never washed creek out this year round..Fuckit I'm going for a drive to have a look tomorrow...

Ah, I did think it was a bit shallow for swimming, but that explains it. Careful in your car, they have recently improved the track to the creek but it's still a bit low traction.... if you don't post in a while we'll know where to look.

CBobR
30th October 2006, 21:25
(not sure who asked as I don't have the postcount but..) The rock in the photo above is Taratara (on your left riding north past Kahoe). There is a fun, but very short trail to the base. Anyone climbed it? I didn't want to try walking up in bike boots... and was too excited about riding my new bike that day.
http://www.climb.co.nz/Places/Northland/Taratara/taratara-rock-climbing.htm

NotaGoth
30th October 2006, 22:12
(not sure who asked as I don't have the postcount but..) The rock in the photo above is Taratara (on your left riding north past Kahoe). There is a fun, but very short trail to the base. Anyone climbed it? I didn't want to try walking up in bike boots... and was too excited about riding my new bike that day.
http://www.climb.co.nz/Places/Northland/Taratara/taratara-rock-climbing.htm

Shit you get around don't you........... Tried St Pauls?

CBobR
30th October 2006, 22:21
Shit you get around don't you........... Tried St Pauls?

:), good old Dakar. Not an offroad champion, but goes heaps of places and has a decent tank range.

Yup someone dragged me up St Paul's a while back, nice spot. Been up Taratara? Doesn't look as big up close.

NotaGoth
30th October 2006, 22:27
:), good old Dakar. Not an offroad champion, but goes heaps of places and has a decent tank range.

Yup someone dragged me up St Paul's a while back, nice spot. Been up Taratara? Doesn't look as big up close.

Nicer on a clear day... Haven't been up Taratara yet... Heard stories bout it... So I avoid it...

CBobR
30th October 2006, 22:32
stories !?

Did you get to Waiare on Sunday btw?

NotaGoth
30th October 2006, 22:34
!?

Did you get to Waiare on Sunday btw?

Didn't end up going... Was raining alot... Will go on a nicer day... When its warm.... And swim worthy... May as well make the trip worth it eh...

CBobR
4th November 2006, 13:02
Sitting here with wet socks, but well pleased.

35tickets offered to follow me up the forest as a bit of backup, greatful acceptance by me,.. so off we went. He had a new KLR650 with a new Pirelli Scorpian.

A quick run through McIntyre Road to Kerikeri, then up to the forest. A bit of discussion over the KLRs rear tyre with regards to the wet clay track, but we were optimistic... and it was okay,.. sorta. Neither 35T or I dropped the bikes at all, but in some sections the KLR needed a push as the tyre was clogging badly, whereas the Dakar's TKC80 was just the thing for the job.

We dispatched the forest pretty easily (I'm not sure why it took me 3 attempts :o). We did have to stop at one point to scrape the clay out of the bikes foot controls with sticks because the ruts were deep enough that the pegs were just plowing.

The deep gravel on the other side of the forest caused some hairy moments for both bikes (the trail actually came out about 5kms north of Kaeo), sliding the front regularly was quite exciting :0.

Bit of a play in the stream to clean the bikes finished the day nicely.

I think we both enjoyed the trip, Gerry (35tickets) was smiling at the end, and have some ideas for future adventure bike type rides in the area.
Thanks very much to 35tickets for a great day.

dickytoo
4th November 2006, 14:41
That looks like fun. Some of the best bike trips I've had was on a KL250 riding around Fiji about 17 to 18 years ago. some of the main roads look like the stuff you were riding on!

Maybe I should invest in a KLR650 and do some adventure riding.

dickytoo
4th November 2006, 14:46
That looks like fun. Some of the best bike trips I've had was on a KL250 riding around Fiji about 17 to 18 years ago. some of the main roads look like the stuff you were riding on!

Maybe I should invest in a KLR650 and do some adventure riding.

I found some picture of some of the trips from when I was in Fiji. I didn't have a camera when I had my KL250 but the roads didn't change much when I had my GPz550! How do you like my balancing act on the GPz while repairing my puncture!

Laava
4th November 2006, 23:18
I climbed up Taratara when I was younger. It is very interesting and very sacred to the local iwi I believe. As far as I remember there is a flat rock section about halfway up with 'hallways' almost like cut into the rock. I am told there are many burial caves up there but didn't see any. If you go, it would be wise to stay out of the caves if you see them, I've heard the locals are not keen on explorers! But the view from the top is cool.:sunny:

CBobR
5th November 2006, 10:53
That's awesome dickytoo, I love the adjustable spanner centrestand. I've had some pretty hairy taxi rides in Fiji. You should definitely have a look at a KLR650, pretty much the same as my dakar (which I like), and cheaper (but not as good at wheelies :)).

Hrmm, very interesting LAV 750, Cheers. I might have to have a discreet climb up oneday, but definitely avoid the caves. Glad I have that piece of information now! thanks.

dickytoo
5th November 2006, 15:37
yeah, those older bikes could go anywhere. i took my 1990 GPz900 on one of the back roads to Raglan. I think theres a road that takes you to a hot spring near Ngarowhaia (?) on the way to Hamilton. You hang a right and head towards the coast. after you pass the hot springs, the road continues to Raglan and it turns to a dirt road with lots and lots of biggish stones. Very difficult on a road bike with a heavy pillion. I made it though without falling off but i miss my old Z650, KL250 or even the GPz550 in situations like that. the 900 was a handful.

the klr650 is a definite consideration. I also like the kle500 but don't like the look. the new adventure bike from kwaka looks really nice. called a versys, i think.