PDA

View Full Version : Sealing threads (petrol)

Paul in NZ
25th October 2006, 10:30
Hmmm....

One of my older gas tanks has a slightly dodgy thread where the fuel
tap screws in. It's OK with my older fuel taps but sadly - one of the weeps
just enough to be damned annoying.

So I purchased new taps....

garg.... They leak too but from the outside... Yes, I have the little sealing washer etc etc etc but they just seem a little looser in the threads which is
not surprising as I'll bet a hat full of rancid weasel guts that they were made in some place with far too many X's in it's name.

Anywho - it's just a weep, not a gush so I was wondering if there is a
pertol friendly method of thread sealing?? Some tape that won't dissolve???

Paul N

MSTRS
25th October 2006, 11:23
I don't suppose plumbers thread tape is robust enough in the presence of petrol? You could pop into a signwriter and get a little offcut strip of HP vinyl - it is thin and resistant to petrol.

Motu
25th October 2006, 11:43
You can use a liquid pipe sealer,more a paste really - Loctite is 567,or in a lipstick applicator it's 561.Permatex do a rebadged version but I have none here to check.This will fill more gaps than thread tape.Then there's good old ''maiden hair.....''

scumdog
25th October 2006, 12:29
Wot Motu sed.

And yes, teflon tape will do the trick, just make sure you don't put on too much and risk a bit breaking off and clogging something, I've used it heaps with no problems.

Paul in NZ
25th October 2006, 13:56
I sold a child (don't worry - not one of mine) to raise the $$ for the loctite - gleep - $34 for a BIG tube but I suppose it's a lifetimes supply....

Motu
27th October 2006, 08:25
I wonder if they are still watching?

Paul in NZ
27th October 2006, 09:08
Dunno - but the Loctite worked a treat on the fuel tap threads - thanks Motu.

I just have to fit the lash caps and check the oil feed to that rocker and we should be good to go.. Until the next little 'issue'....

Cheers