PDA

View Full Version : ZXR900 top clamps on ZXR250???

R6_kid
5th July 2004, 20:19
does anyone know if this will work alright? Im assuming i will need to do some measuring to find out, but does anyone know first hand if i can fit ZXR900 top clamps and handles onto a ZXR250???

riffer
5th July 2004, 22:13
does anyone know if this will work alright? Im assuming i will need to do some measuring to find out, but does anyone know first hand if i can fit ZXR900 top clamps and handles onto a ZXR250???
Firstly Gareth,

fork dimensions. The ZXR900 is probably at least 41mm. The 250, probably 38mm.

If you can resolve these problems you might be in.

Why do you want to put the 900 triples and handlebars on?

R6_kid
6th July 2004, 08:38
there is a set on trademe going cheap, just wondering if it were possible before i went ahead and placed bid.

riffer
6th July 2004, 09:42
there is a set on trademe going cheap, just wondering if it were possible before i went ahead and placed bid.
I did a little bit of checking after posting the last message, and found out the ZXR900 has upside down forks with 46mm inverted telescopic forks.

I would check a couple of things.

Firstly, if your ZXR250 has 46mm inverted telescopic forks, they will fit.

The next thing to check is the spacing between the two forks. The ZXR250 will probably take a wider wheel, which means you need more space between the forks, which means you have trouble with your brakes and wheel. Not insurmountable, but a hassle.

The next thing would be if your switchgear can fit on the handlebars. They might be a bit bigger in diameter than the zxr250 ones, and your stuff won't fit on.

Of course if you bought a zxr900 front end it might fit. Check the bearing kit is the same, and if the bolt that comes up in the middle of the bottom triple clamp is the same length as the 250. Otherwise, you could have to put spacers in.

Also, the length of the zxr250 forks in the 900 triples could be different, which might affect steering.

Sounding like a bit of work now, isn't it?