PDA

View Full Version : Zxr

Mole_C
25th October 2006, 15:40
Hey, got a 1990 zxr250 A. I got the manual but it's from a different year or model and is different to my bike and having a few problems.

1. Drive chain is to loose. How do i adjust that? There is a bolt at end of swingarm. Would it be that or is it just tightning up the axle bolt.

2. Front compression dampning adjustment isn't where it is in the manual. Any idea where it is?

3. Anyone got a C/G spanner i can borrow to adjust the rear suspension.

4. How long does it take to do an engine rebuild? I probably won't try since i don't know to much mechanically and wont have all the tools needed but i might get bored these holidays so if anyone wants to help..... :yes:

Thanks

xwhatsit
25th October 2006, 15:59
I don't know about the rest, but to adjust the chain, there is usually a little bolt in a longitudinal orientation (i.e., it's pointing forwards or backwards, not pointing left or right) on the end of the swingarm (sounds like you've found it) that you just turn. To adjust it correctly, get the bike up on it's centre stand and leave it in neutral, then rotate the rear wheel until the chain is at it's tightest point (because you don't want to overtighten it on a slack part of the chain because it will strain the gearbox bearings). Then you just tighten that bolt until there is about 1-3cm (roughly) of free play in the low part of the chain (measuring in the centre of it). Lubricate it while you're at it.

If you can't tighten it anymore and it's still too loose, you obviously need a new chain. If it's really worn out, like if it has lots and lots of tight spots, chuck it out too. When I was replacing my rear tyre recently I had a look at the rear hub... believe me, you do not want to have a chain let go on you, by the looks of the rear hub it has happened to my bike with a previous owner, it's gouged to hell.

Good luck.

Mole_C
25th October 2006, 20:53
Cheers, got the chain done. Took a bit of playing and tightened far faster than i thought it would. Tried shifting it back one mark and realised it couldnt go back any further so ended up only about 1/4 of a mark back from where it was.

Anyone know the others?

xwhatsit
25th October 2006, 21:24
Well since nobody else is playing I'll chuck my 2c out for your last question. I have, by necessity, done a top-end rebuild, and will have to do another very shortly when the new cylinder head arrives (I cracked my old one, causing an exhaust valve to get stuck open when the valve seat fell out). I know NOTHING about mechanical stuff. I'm a computer/electronics nerd studying music and computer science at uni so I know shit all about engines. However by necessity (I have a 1984 bike, with plenty of kms on it) I'm having to learn quickly, and I'd say with a bit of reading of a workshop manual (there should be one on the forum somewhere) you'll be sweet. From Mitre 10 you can get socket wrench sets for like $30, spanner sets for less, so you can get the basic tools easily enough and they'll last you for a long time. Alternatively, there are plenty of KBers on the Norshor who can lend you tools or maybe even their time -- they are a super generous bunch around here.

If you give it a go I'm sure you'll learn heaps.

Animal
26th October 2006, 13:40
Hey Mole C,
If you need a ZXR manual I can send you a copy of mine. Pm me.

Mole_C
26th October 2006, 19:25
Hey CAD, i got one that was linked on these forums but its for the C model and is slightly different than my A model.

Has www.japi.com.ar all through it in the background.

You have the same one or a different one? If you have a different one that's closer to my model it would be great :yes: