PDA

View Full Version : Round Trip - Auckland to Cape Reinga

S&S
25th October 2006, 16:15
Howdy,

Thought I might share with ya all our trip over the long weekend.

I don't normally post much up... but these roads were unbelievable and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell you all to do this trip some stage.

Saturday morning, 6:00am the three of us left Auckland for Cape Reinga (Very top of the North Island) There was me & my wife 2 up on the Buell & my mate on his VTR 1000.

I have attached a map showing where we went, we pretty much followed the red line all the way up then took the yellow line to the top of the Cape. On our way back we came down the other side of the north island to make a loop.

I have only had my Buell for 3 weeks, this was the first big trip on it. Damn it went well. Smooth riding the whole way. The buell has the perfect 5th gear for cruising; the handling was spot on & sharp, very comfy 2up, no aches & pains after 2 days continuous riding.

Either way, what ever bike you have.... what a ride. Took us 12 hrs to reach the top of the cape & 12 hrs return with a few stops in between. Really the trip should be done over 3 days but that’s up to you. The round trip was about 1000kms, 6 tanks of gas.

The place we stayed at up on the Cape was Waitiki Landing for the night. It's the last camp ground before the tip. Cost $65 for a nice little cabin for the 3 of us.

All & all... what a great trip, lovely roads especially on the way back.

Just a warning to anyone planning on heading up on the bikes, the last 20 kms of road before the tip of NZ is dirt roads. Damn worth the hassle though.

Maha
25th October 2006, 16:25
So you didnt bump into any of the other KBers up that way over the weekend?
Looks a tad wet, but its all good to go aye?.....:yes:

S&S
25th October 2006, 16:29
So you didnt bump into any of the other KBers up that way over the weekend?
Looks a tad wet, but its all good to go aye?.....:yes:

Didn't see many bikes on the way up, I guess the weather played a part in that. And yeah, typical NZ weather, we got it all, rain sun rain sun rain sun. Still... if ya have the right gears it dosn't bother ya to much.

S&S
25th October 2006, 19:16
Sounds good....:)

DMNTD
25th October 2006, 19:19
....will have it ready for a blat next weekend :scooter:
Mate,you misspelt PUTT!! :scooter:

Looks like y'all had a great time of it S&S....pity we didn't catch up whilst you were up here. Next time bring that slow short arsed mate of yours up here for a proper "tuning" :yes:

GR81
27th October 2006, 07:18
the little v-twin that could? haha :)