PDA

View Full Version : LED Indicators flashing too fast, a fix

thehollowmen
25th October 2006, 20:43
I've got wiggly LED indicators on the front and this made them flash at somewhere between 3-4 Hz. I got a telling off by the WOF guy but he gave me the WOF and told me to fix them. I've got OEM ones on the back.

To fix this, you can get a new flasher unit( >$40 in most cases) or a new relay (impossible on the Vstrom) or wire in resistors to ballance the load. I had trouble wiring in resistors and the wire kept snapping by vibrations, and it was hard to get the exact resistance I required.

Most motorcycles use 21W indicator bulbs. There is a 50W halogen bulb on the market that fits in indicator sockets.

You can get them at a trade auto-electrical store.

Nobody will be able to claim they didn't see me signal. They light up the street behind me something crazy. :rockon:

Falconer
25th October 2006, 22:37
Solder joints on vehicles always brake due to vibration. I solder the joint but then put hot melt glue around it. I think the solder goes up the wire and it fractures where the solder stops. Hot melt is cheap and quick and works for me.:done:

scumdog
25th October 2006, 22:50
Solder joints on vehicles always brake due to vibration. I solder the joint but then put hot melt glue around it. I think the solder goes up the wire and it fractures where the solder stops. Hot melt is cheap and quick and works for me.:done:

Shouldn't be a problem if wires are taped together and supported - but I use shrink-tube over soldered joints anyway.

imdying
26th October 2006, 07:11
or a new relay (impossible on the Vstrom) Yep, non load sensitive electronic relays are the way to go. Why impossible on the Vstrom? I assume because like the SV the sidestand switch is wired through the same relay? Apparently it's a pretty trivial task to change two wires to allow you to change the indicator flasher relay on an SV, perhaps the same on a Vstrom?

Morcs
26th October 2006, 12:34
well my new front fairing with built in indicators has 5W wedge type bulbs... the stock rear blinkers are 15W each... try and find some 15W wedge bulbs.. im still looking :mellow:

bernardf
26th October 2006, 13:17
i put small cateye indicators on the rear and led on the front had to wire in a load equalizer to make them flash at all
got the load equalizer from Ebay

wysper
24th August 2008, 19:18
is there a good place in NZ to buy this sort of thing?
I mean the led indicators and brake lights etc.

CookMySock
24th August 2008, 21:01
trademe, dick smith electronics

DB

AllanB
24th August 2008, 21:28
Goodies here - USA site.

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/Signals.html

The wire connectors are a great idea with aftermarket indicators - I used them on my Hornet and it saves cutting or splicing stock wires so you can easily change back when selling if desired. Plug and play baby ;)

jono035
5th June 2009, 17:30
Instead of soldering you can also use normal crimp butt-splices to connect resistors to wire, we've done this plenty in high-vibe environments.

Sorry for the thread dredge, forgot to check the date...