PDA

View Full Version : He F-ing Hates me :(

Kwaka-Kid
16th May 2003, 19:54
He took my reason to live... again... :(

Okay..  iditch my ZXR400 and life turns to shit... then i find out that i have a great opportunity to buy a RVF400 @ a unbeleivable price (as ive now found out, literally) and then that turns to shit sa it gets stolen off who i was going to buy it from... and i only had 2 more weeks to wait b4 getting it :(  i swaer he hates me! everytime i find a new reason to live.. hope.. to save.. he rips it out from within my grasp :(  it sarks hard, aswell as ive just sold my Red 750 which once i found out i wasnt getting RVF i didnt feel very keen on selling :(  down to 3 bikes... and no real hope left on anything... however i am trying to find new hope... i must race...  Was actually hoping Dave could help me...

What does it cost generally to race an RS125 for a season? (clubman level sorta thing) mostly comparitivly.. i know crap all about 2strokes but within days will learn and will make myself do self-rebuilds etc.. but compared to say a 400cc 4stroke 4cyl in a season would a RS125 be cheaper? - and generally what would i pay 2nd hand as a nice deal? all i know is i must get into racing :angry2: and i want it this year..  someone tell me there is hope?  its so frustrating about the RVF.. i had started saving for all those dream mods i had planned... :(   cest la vie.

bluninja
17th May 2003, 10:17
Wow, down to 3 bikes...soon you'll be able to affoird some half decent tyres and chains:rockon:

So that means you won't be racing at Manfeild next week? Shame you would have been in the same class as me.

TTFN

wkid_one
17th May 2003, 10:33
Manfield?  Where and when - I will come up for a look-see

bluninja
17th May 2003, 10:56
1st round of the Sawyer Winter series, and last round of the North Island cup takes place next weekend on Sat 24th, and is on the long circuit (haven't done the long circuit). I'm entered in the clubmans class, as I'm so slow. I just need to sort some Friday night accomodation and see if I can share the cost of transport down.....and fix the minor damage from Puke on the bike.

TTFN

wkid_one
17th May 2003, 12:42
Make sure you reverse your gear pattern - the left hander coming on to the new section is fecken long - and without the reversed pattern you won't be able to get your toes under the level to change up........just something to think about...

I will come up for a look on the 24th - see you there

Hoon
17th May 2003, 15:13
Yeah while on the subject,  Like KK I'm wanting to get into racing too.  After writing off my TL1000, I've invested in a cheap race ready RGV250.  Got all my gear sorted.  Lots of spares and 3 set of rims with slicks/street/wets.  I went halfs on a van with my mechanic which we will use to get to races (hes just ditched the diesel, fitted a petrol motor and got it recertified).

I've also been working a lot on my riding technique, doing track days every week or two and reading everything I can get my hands on and now I can do 1:15s at Puke with still more room for improvement.

Based on the results from the NZTT last year (http://www.amcc.org.nz/results_nztt/250gp_02.html), my current times should at least let me mix it up with tail end of the field hopefully.

I formulated my plan for World Motorcycle Racing Dominance mid/late last year when there was the Suzuki series which looked real cool and had lots of classes to suit new riders (based on what I saw on the website and in Bike Trader) but now I'm a little lost.

I had hoped to race clubman level at Puke and once I got comfortable would start travelling to Taupo/Manfield etc but there doesn't seem to be many Puke meets this year.  I'm not too keen on making my race debut anywhere else but Puke as this is my home and only track so far.  I was all set for Apr 6th but it pissed down that day so I pulled out because I wasn't confident racing in the wet for the first time ever so now my master plan isn't going so well.

So what should I do??  Is the Sawyer series my only hope this year?  Or should I just be content with Puke track days and see what happens next summer?

Dave
17th May 2003, 16:30
Finally,everyones talking my language.
I'll send you guys some answers when i get back into the office-i'm out on the road at the moment.

Kwaka-Kid
17th May 2003, 22:37
shot cheers dave! btw my mums hubbie apparently worked with ur mrs, and so got u to work on car that way, i thin ki even member u in person when u worked on the old corolla :P  mind you i woulda been a widdle boy :D as i am now still.. haha

babyB
18th May 2003, 02:47
count me in for the racing info too

i brought CBR400 in january this year to race. im slow but hay im learning:o

i too have found it hard getting to track days. looking at taupo race in june. dont think im ready for it but been told to go for it so ill be the one that gets lapped 10 times:othought about manfield but dont thing that track is vary kind.lol

now there a thought ..where the learners gide to racing forum

bluninja
18th May 2003, 10:06
Babyb, just go for it. I will be at Taupo on 15th June as will Mitch. Mitch races in F3 on her 400, I race in Clubmans, on my SV650 as I am also pretty slow. Luckily there are only 6 laps, so you are unlikely to get lapped in Clubmans. Last time out there were just 7 in the class, including 2 post classics so it's not too daunting.

I'm at Manfield next week for the first time since crashing at practice for the last round of the previous winter series. This will be my 2nd meeting at Manfeild I've actually raced at, and the first time on the long circuit, so it will be interesting. Best advice I would give anyone is to go and do a trackday the day before the race, so you can learn the track at your pace.....sadly I won't get to do this so I will have to listen to other riders and learn at practice.

I want a learners guide on how to ride around hairpins without falling off, or having everybody pass me.

What would be great would be someone who could do a basic guide to the lines around the NZ tracks.

TTFN

Dave
19th May 2003, 08:49
Hi Guys,
Firstly the RS125's.You can get a reasonable early model one for about $2000 This should be good enough to teach you to race,Learn about set up,etc.Also can get them going very well.I have done 1.10's at puke on my old '92 and i've only been racing for 2 years.If you only want to do club stuff,You can run old/second hand tyres without any problems.We are changing our tyres atr each round at national level-so theres always plenty of second handys.Budget for one clutch kit $80,three pistons (for a year) $600.A crank/engine rebuild once a year $1000.On top of that,Change your gearbox oil after every meeting,Fuel and twostroke oil.Plus allow money for crash damage.
That covers the basics-Don't fall off and it will be even cheaper!

Dave
19th May 2003, 09:08
Secondly-Beginners guide to racing.
The club meeting at manfield will be very good for anyone wanting to start racing.The track is interesting and fairly easy-Most corners open out on the exits so they're quite forgiving.It's also very wide.There will be a class to suit almost anyone.If you can get there for the friday practice-make use of it.
If your intimidated by the pace in a particular class-start in clubmans,You can always switch during the day.My second race meeting ever-I was running o.k. in the novice class, so switched to the 125 class-I came last by sooo much,it was embarrassing.Two race meetings later-I got a sixth in the national at ruapuna.So don't despare,the learning curve is very steep.
The faster guys are use to passing people,so ride your own race and they will negotiate you.Make sure you HOLD YOUR LINE.
The most dangerous thing on the track is a slower rider that cuts across infront of someone going into a corner.-we can go around the outside or inside another rider,But cant change halfway through.
When you start racing remember to concentrate on the track-not the other bikes.The first corner crashes are almost always caused by people watching the other bikes instead of looking at where to brake/turn in.
"Racing is all the good things aboud roadriding-with none of the bad stuff-You can go as fast as you can
-You dont have to ride for 45 min's to find decent roads
-You dont have to make the tedious trip home after a thrash
-if you take a break for a while-it doesn't cost anything (rego's,etc)
-If you crash theres always an ambulance right there(no laying in a drain in eketahuna for 2days)

Good luck and have fun.
P.S.If you are at manfield-come and say gidday-me and duckman will be at the BIG elf trailer-cant miss us.

Mitch
19th May 2003, 09:54
Heya KK Depending on how mechanically minded you are a 4 stroke may be a better place to start.  Have a chat to Dave (wealth of knowledge on the subject) about humidity, rejeting and "other on the day" things that need to be done.  There are a few of us that race old 400's, all pretty much standard.  Most meetings the most we have to do to our bike's are check tyre pressures and put in fuel.  Well having said that you can usually find me fixing my bike after my latest crash :D

Si all I can say is if you ever find that hairpin manual PLEASE pass it my way :eek:  I would never have crashed on a race track if hairpins didn't exist.

Baby B Taupo is a great place to start and so is the back :cool:  I spent a LONG TIME getting lapped at the back of the field.  That's just part of it for some of us (others just seem to win from the word go)  The excitement and adrenalin of it all makes it worth it and you can't get quicker if your not out there doing it. 

:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
20th May 2003, 16:50
well, i consider myself (for my age) fucking well mechanically minded :) - my old man more.. but just not on 2 strokes.. i learn fast and i reckon it wudnt take much.. aswell as my dads good mate/mine being 2 stroke dude (mainly setting up race super/motorcross bikes tho) im sure he could help me out a bit...  Im not sure.. also am i too heavy to race 2 strokes? thats what my old man says about 125cc 2 strokes especially.. what should i weigh? atm i weigh 68kg, and reckon itd b piss easy to get near 60kg as i eat heaps and heaps of shit food and heaps and heaps of it :P   -but i eally aint sure? also im exactly 6foot, is that too tall? god i found on my zxr400 i ran outta room when i hung my ass off edge of seat.. only way i could get lower was to sit more on hte bike.. but i always hung off bike heaps coz if i stay upright and lean more my t yres would prolly let go :P

Also mainfeild is ages for me to go from auckland.. im really keen on doing pukekohe over and over.. i worked it out and so far i think ive had 60laps approx worth of riding on puke, between '84 GPZ750 and 89 ZXR400.. its funy coz i have heaps to say about comparing the bikes and how it certain things surprised me.. (the main one being the 750 felt like i had to do less, like lean not as low, to get thru the same corner, and it was WAY more stable over that bump despite no fork oil in left fork and shotty suspension :P) but yeh.. hmm, argh such a hard decision.. well if i do weigh in right enuf for a fat 2 stroke rider, i am leaning towards that.. but yeah..

actually somthing nice would be - how often do u rebuild the gsxr400? etc.. what does that cost u in a season? and on puke backstreight what do u get to? and just general stuff like that ta mitch :)

wkid_one
20th May 2003, 19:34
Just sell every thing you own - buy an R1 and race F1 - go for it-----why piss around....

bluninja
20th May 2003, 19:56
ROFLMAOWPMP at WKID:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
20th May 2003, 20:12
NOOOOOO!!! he loves me he loves me he loves me!   *looks upawrd* THANKYOU! :D

im so happy happy happy... unuaually happy as it is not just in pants.. happy happy

I GET MY RVF400 tomorrow! :P ahahaha sorry for asking about 2 strokes.. very interesting but back to origonal plan! the good man from above gave me back my bike!! :D  if u buy into that stuf...

otherwise. :rockon: the world is good again! :D

Coldkiwi
20th May 2003, 21:34
I don't buy it as such... it comes for free :D

Just promise us you won't go trying to drop such a nice bike on its ear into corners ok?

SPman
20th May 2003, 22:11
This thread has all the drama of a TV soap

Despair,anguish at losing a loved one, toying with the idea of wanton 2 stroke hussies, until, finally, being reunited with his first true love:love:

Altogether now.........

I'm H-A-P-P-Y,

I'm H-A-P-P-Y,

..........:p:niceone:

bikerboy
20th May 2003, 23:13
:) Now that he has "seen the light" is there a chance that the" hardass"
attitude will soften?:o

Kwaka-Kid
21st May 2003, 05:33
hahhaa not a chance :)

i pick it up today... gotta go to work first.. thyen pickup... then go to other work. full on day but hey! all good :D

Dave
21st May 2003, 09:29
I'm 6' weigh 75kgs,I can do 220k/hr at puke on my 125, and lap in sub 1.07's
If you learn how to ride properly, and tune the bike right,you wont have any problems.
Manfield is a better track to learn at than puke,there are more corners and they are more technical-there is more run off and it is a safer track.

Dave
21st May 2003, 09:36
four strokes pah,real bikes don't have valves

Coldkiwi
21st May 2003, 12:33
1.07s!?

:argh: you suck!!!

or maybe I do! :)(or are you running slicks and other assorted tricks too?)

hrmm... time for more tracktime:niceone: (my best yet is 1:12 on the 600 but definitely room for improvement in the braking dept).

'real bikes don't have valves'

I dunno... I know sewing machines don't have valves! :done:

Dave
21st May 2003, 12:39
or are you running slicks and other assorted tricks too?)

-More tricks than you can point a tricky pointed thing at!
And yes-slicks

Hoon
21st May 2003, 13:10
Hey Dave, I have a few questions about riding technique that is holding back my progress which you may be able to advise me on. Also the bike is starting to do some strange things now that I can carry some speed into the corners.

Ummm actually I'll start a new thread in the racing forum.

Great news KK....Look forward to seeing you at a Track day sometime soon - it gets lonely at the back of the pack!

bluninja
21st May 2003, 14:03
So if I go, I'll be right at the back HH. Still last time was my first time at Puke.....I'll have to see if I'm faster next time. But first surviving Manfeild...and learning the long track.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
21st May 2003, 20:45
YAY I GOT MY RVF400 TODAY!

now the questions... never been rego'd in NZ.. not toing to be.. howdo i figue out what year it is? (just for my own interest) and what should i do to it first to prep it for racing.. its all there but taillight = cracked around htere.. i can plastic weld it tho - and take out brake light.. and small crack in front fairing.. oh and missing one mirror.. and missing hte 2 big side panels.. hmm.. i might put full lightweight TZ250 fairing on if i can fit..

eitehr way anybody wanna buy a whole load of rvf parts? like indicators and headlights and brake lights etc.. ?  - oh but yeah, main thing wanting to know is how to figure out the year from frame/engine number?

*edit - and its done 19,000 km... is that too much to serve as a cheap entry level racebike? - and its got std exhaust from first look.. 4into1 std muffler

Yamahamaman
21st May 2003, 22:01
Most motorcycle dealers rely on serial numbers when ordering parts rather than the year of manufacture and so that would be a really good place to start. Note the serial number and try your local dealer or email the manufacturer.

SPman
22nd May 2003, 00:09
KK, tried this link

- the VFR/RVF homepage

http://www.motorcyclelane.com/mainpage.html

So we can expect this sometime soon at a racetrack near us?????

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2003, 04:07
yep! but ill have indicators and lights taken out etc :) and it doesnt have hte big side peices to fairing.. ill either buy rough ones 2nd hand or just put a whole new front/side fairing o.. depends what i got here and if it fits...

duckman
22nd May 2003, 10:00
Hey there KWaka Kid,

I started racing RS125 with Dave this year and have been at approx 6 race meets. I had no previous experience with 2 strokes (riding or mechanics) and would say "Go for it".

The bikes are cheap to buy, dead easy to work on, (they're like mechano sets), and a blast to ride.

I'm 75kg and 6ft and although I do get a little cramped at times there is enough room - Just.

The expense can be a little hard to swallow but you can determine how much you spend by how competitive you want to be. I would be surprised if 4 strokes were much cheaper to run.

The 125 feild are a fantastic group of people who are always keen to help with info, tools, and even parts at the drop of a hat.

My bike is a '92 (with a few mods) and although I still have a lot (and I mean a hell of a lot) to learn, I'm already riding with the middle of the pack.

Like Dave mentioned, if you see us at the track (just look for the biggie size black trailer) come on over and say hi.

Kwaka-Kid
22nd May 2003, 16:04
ahh k ta for that man

altho i bought my RVF400 yesterday... its done 19,000km as i think ive said.. thats not too high to learn to race on right? and i think im putting a TZR250 fairing on it as its mising the side peices and this fairing is very lightweight

babyB
22nd May 2003, 20:55
hay kk.... na i dont reckon the 400 is too much to learn on (im doing it too)..just dont her opener right up:gob:

& remember to wire lock every thing,etc befor u get the fairings wired up:D

can someone please tell me what the number background colour is for the clubmans class? (i got black on at moment), cheers

Kwaka-Kid
23rd May 2003, 05:46
i thought i read all F3 was black back and white numbers? whichh would be good for me as ive already got hte bkack bacground bits in graphics of rear tail etc :)

what do u mean dont let her opener right up? or whatever? does that make sense or is it just me?

so the K's arnt too high? - if u mean have throttle wide open on track then pissoff :P its the only way im gunna try and ride :) - 400cc = good class i reckon. bikes dont pull wheelies etc :P or at least my ZXR400 even to redline in 1st gear wide open wudnt lift the front wheel... so i doubt my RVF would ey? - next thing.. exhaust... what to do? apparently stock they have good large sized headers.. just do muffler.. so what/where to go?

Racey Rider
2nd June 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
so the K's arnt too high?

19000km! To me thats fine for a first race bike to learn on. I'ld race it for a year, and then think about new rings and "GO FAST" bits.
I might have brought a 400 too, but thought a 250 2 stroke would be easyer for me to work on. Change rings myself and spend that saved money on good tyres! :niceone:

Goddess of Goof
2nd June 2003, 23:43
Ahhh, dosen't the Auckland Motorcycle Club run race training evenings

for racers  http://www.amcc.org.nz (http://www.amcc.org.nz/)  and will provide specific answers to your questions about racetrack technique.

See yas at Taupo, I'm probably flagging. Hope don't have to wave to you.

:)

Kwaka-Kid
3rd June 2003, 20:56
cheers!

yeah i think thats what ill do, have a fairly cheap first year to see how i like it(which i know ill LOVE it, as i do love tracktimes etc) and then see if bike/self is good enuf to actually spend more time/money on to go faster/be in better classes