PDA

View Full Version : Pressure gauges and valve stems

MSTRS
26th October 2006, 16:19
Searched - can find lots of posts touching on subject - but nothing specific.
There are a number of gauge types out there, ranging from stick-type through needle/dial to digital.
What type/brand is accurate(ish), convenient to cart in a pocket and doesn't cost the earth?
I have heard that Accu-gauge is 'best' but they don't have a side-entry model that I can find, which is the age-old problem in getting easy access to the valve stems on bikes.
Which leads to the stem question - is there a right-angle adapter available (and where) either to use with above gauge or can be permanently fitted to both rims? If a permanent type, it would need to be very light so as not to upset the wheel balance.

Motu
26th October 2006, 16:47
Accu Gauge is the industry standard,and an absolute bargin for the price,the fact that the design has been around for decades and all costs absorbed means they can sell them for a bloody good price....so get one now before they realise that a well proven design made to be serviced with all costs amortised is a stupid thing to do in this day and age.Maybe you should buy a cheap digital Chinese unit if that is your preference.You can get an Accu Gauge with all sorts of fittings - my 25 year old low pressure gauge has a 45deg swivel head with release valve,but you can get them with a hose too,that might be what you want.

MSTRS
26th October 2006, 16:55
Only one I could find was in Repco, guage with a straight valve only, no accessories with it or available seperately. Super Cheap don't carry them at all, any other suggestions?

Blackbird
26th October 2006, 16:57
My Accu Gage has a 45 degree swivel head and I bought it through Motomail about 3 years ago so may still be available. Agree with Motu that they are the industry standard - Bourdon tube construction like a barometer.

Motu
26th October 2006, 17:00
Gosh - they have them in Auckland.....

MSTRS
26th October 2006, 17:08
Gosh - they have them in Auckland.....

Oh well - this is the provinces.....

SuperDave
26th October 2006, 17:17
I've just bought myself a guage virtually identical to an accu guage.
It's a DRC brand that's got a nice rubber sleave protecting the dial face as well as a 45 degree swivel head. Certainly looks and feels like a high quality item which I would assume also goes for it's accuracy.

Cost it $50, dunno if that was a bit steep or or not but I'm happy with it.

FROSTY
26th October 2006, 17:28
msstrs--try a kart shop or a race car supply shop
I got miner from a speed shop in glenfeild

MSTRS
26th October 2006, 17:38
Ta Frosty - will try tomorrow.

MSTRS
27th October 2006, 13:43
Damn it!! No-one has one here. One guy has an Accu-Gauge Digital with angled head - are they just as good as the needle-type??

vifferman
27th October 2006, 13:49
I bought my accu-whatsit gauge from Kerry at Motohaus. I'm verra pleased widdit, and access is good, which is often a problem with not much clearance between the front disks and valve stem.

:2thumbsup

Pat
28th October 2006, 06:39
There is an excellent article in the October isue of the Consumer mag regarding guages , your local library should have a copy.In brief it rates the best as being the accu-60xg but says the difference between the higher priced ones and the budget ampro pencil type at $7.45 is minimal.Have a look at the consumer test of 20 or so.
Pat

trumpy
28th October 2006, 07:16
I bought a digital gauge from Dick Smith a few years ago. Compact, lightweight and fits into my pocket. I use it on my motorcycle, our mountainbikes, cars etc. I used to have an Accu Guage for racing but ended up selling it with the car as the Dick Smith jobby gave the same readings.

topher
28th October 2006, 08:43
I'd like to find a right angled adapter for the valve stems. I've "improved" the shrader fitting for compressor at home so I can do the pressures on our Bikes here but most at the Gas Stations are too straight to fit past the disks and onto the valve. Anyone know anything?

Kickaha
28th October 2006, 13:39
Which leads to the stem question - is there a right-angle adapter available (and where)

Try either George Stocks or TWL, both supply stuff for the tyre industry and TWL used to stock Accu Guage

http://www.georgestock.co.nz/

http://www.twlnz.co.nz/index.cfm?F71FB7F8-3E37-4628-9E24-AA043ECF4BDE

MSTRS
28th October 2006, 14:06
Ordered the 45degree swivelhead AccuGage from Repco yesterday - arrived today, $33.00 - can't really complain I suppose. Those valvestem adaptors would still be a go, if anyone can track them down.

Lou Girardin
28th October 2006, 16:25
You can get right angle valve stem adaptors from Forbes and Davies via your friendly local bike shop. But I have doubts about their safety if used at very high speed, the extra weight under centrfugal force (die pedants) could twist the valve out of the wheel.