PDA

View Full Version : Techy computer geek question...

Colapop
26th October 2006, 16:41
I've recently spent $120 on getting my home PC formatted and reloaded with software. Now every time I go to view internet video or sound files the sound doesn't work. (So I don't reckon I got value for money) It works beforehand but not after for some reason? Anyone got any ideas - that don't assume I was viewing pron?

I only have a PIII 996 with 512Mg of RAM... (don't know what the HDD is on this one) - Is a P4 1600, with 512, 20 GB HDD better? I don't have any money anyone wanna help me for free (well, there will be beers in it for ya once I get paid)

Sniper
26th October 2006, 16:49
Sound card drivers or sound card has not been setup correctly. Volume set to off?

You got MSN messanger?

bounce
26th October 2006, 16:53
well the basic stuff to check will be volume levels and muted channels. Down by the time there's usually a speaker icon. Double click it and make sure that channels like WAV/MP3/Master etc aren't muted. If you have a flash soundcard like a creative there might be a seperate sound mixer for it on the start menu??

If it isn't one of these I'd guess either no sound drivers or the wrong ones were loaded. If you have a CD for the soundcard you could retry installing the software/drivers yourself..

good luck

Lias
26th October 2006, 16:57
If you paid $120 to a dodgy backyarder, caveat emptor.

If you paid a decent company like Infinite Technology, Atech, Quay etc then take it back and say Oi! its not fixed right!

Disco Dan
26th October 2006, 17:06
I've recently spent $120 on getting my home PC formatted and reloaded with software. Now every time I go to view internet video or sound files the sound doesn't work. (So I don't reckon I got value for money) It works beforehand but not after for some reason? Anyone got any ideas - that don't assume I was viewing pron?

I only have a PIII 996 with 512Mg of RAM... (don't know what the HDD is on this one) - Is a P4 1600, with 512, 20 GB HDD better? I don't have any money anyone wanna help me for free (well, there will be beers in it for ya once I get paid)

You can check if things are working as they should... go into your 'control panel' click on 'system' and then 'device drivers'. anything there with a yellow attention sign next to it and your pc techie did not do his job right!! :gob:

...find your sound hardware in the list, right click it and 'update driver' if that doesnt work let me know and will tell you next stage ! :innocent:

Colapop
26th October 2006, 18:06
Sound card drivers or sound card has not been setup correctly. Volume set to off?
You got MSN messanger?
Volume is not set to off.
Nope don't have messenger.

If you paid $120 to a dodgy backyarder, caveat emptor.
If you paid a decent company like Infinite Technology, Atech, Quay etc then take it back and say Oi! its not fixed right!
Yeah and I would have paid more... Aint that why backyarders are so handy?

You can check if things are working as they should... go into your 'control panel' click on 'system' and then 'device drivers'. anything there with a yellow attention sign next to it and your pc techie did not do his job right!! :gob:
...find your sound hardware in the list, right click it and 'update driver' if that doesnt work let me know and will tell you next stage ! :innocent:
I looked through the drivers list and there are no warning lights, exclamation marks, or smoke coming from the back of the monitor. I don't know what my sound hardware is.

dhunt
26th October 2006, 18:15
Volume is not set to off.
Nope don't have messenger.

I looked through the drivers list and there are no warning lights, exclamation marks, or smoke coming from the back of the monitor. I don't know what my sound hardware is.
I know this sounds dump but it does happen. You do have the speakers plugged into the right place? (It seems to be light green coloured connection these days or has a pictures of some headphones/speakers next to it)

Colapop
26th October 2006, 18:21
Yep sure do. The speakers work prior to logging on to the net. The kids have no problem listening to music already saved onto the system.

dhunt
26th October 2006, 18:40
Yep sure do. The speakers work prior to logging on to the net. The kids have no problem listening to music already saved onto the system.
So am I right in thinking it is just some things on the internet that doesn't have sound? If so do they look they are playing correctly or does it give you some sort of error messasge? What happens if you go look at something like youtube.com does that play ok?

onearmedbandit
26th October 2006, 18:53
Is it onboard (motherboard) sound or a seperate soundcard? (You might have to peek inside the box if you're not sure)

Disco Dan
26th October 2006, 20:12
So am I right in thinking it is just some things on the internet that doesn't have sound? If so do they look they are playing correctly or does it give you some sort of error messasge? What happens if you go look at something like youtube.com does that play ok?

if you can listen to music already on your computer then i'ts not a system driver issue. So if you have no sound on net, could be browser settings and/or plugin issue.

...need more info dude...

Colapop
26th October 2006, 20:21
A member is going to come up tomorrow and have a nosey at it...

The other box I've got currently sitting on the floor seems to be a better system (it's been cleaned/erased) so I might just load up XP on that and go from there...?

Wasp
26th October 2006, 20:40
sounds like a codec issue if its just the browser, what about video clips?

if i had the bike i'd offer to take a look but yea.... good luck anyway

$120 wow holy crap.... ahahhah.... guess that means ive saved ATLEAST $10k so far..........

Craig11
26th October 2006, 20:53
Yeh man, Just download the latest Div X codecs. most of them come with Audio codecs as well. If in the web browser its not showing video clips download 'quicktime' or update the version u have.

iwilde
26th October 2006, 21:45
It sounds like a similar spec computer to mine, I have to re-load the AC3 drivers after a format. Find out what mother board you have and go to their site and download the drivers from their.

MOTOXXX
26th October 2006, 21:47
download klite codec pack

it'll see ya right.

Transalper
26th October 2006, 22:13
Klite Codec pack is one of my favourates to install on new or reinstalled machines to get most videos working assuming it's only missing codecs.
Find it here (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm)... or an number of other places.

Lias
26th October 2006, 22:33
I used to work for both Infinite and Atech at various times, and $120 for a wipe and reinstall is in the ballpark you'd pay to them. Normally be about 1.5-2 hours labour... Its a hell of a lot for a backyard job at any rate.

Wasp
27th October 2006, 07:30
meh, my dads company has been known to do it free of charge on many occasions.... figures why my family is poor