PDA

View Full Version : Ben Townley still doing extremely well

merv
6th July 2004, 12:47
Our man is doing extremely well in the dirt - pulling 3 seconds a lap on some of the world's best. Next year he moves up to MX1 and that will be interesting if he does it with the MX2 championship in the bag.

Read about the latest races in Sweden on his site here http://www.bentownleymx.com/bt-news-Sweden04-press.htm

Ray Witham is not too pleased about the press coverage our man is getting while leading a world champs as posted here on Silver-Bullet http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3040

vifferman
6th July 2004, 12:52
Yeah, it's sad the lack of decent coverage here for motorsports in general (unless you like V8 racing [Yawnnnn....])

Cajun
6th July 2004, 13:11
v8 racing arn't to bad, its just the stupid f1 racing they show all the time even tho no a single kiwi is there racing, if ya gonna show something at least show something with a kiwi racing

vifferman
6th July 2004, 13:24
if ya gonna show something at least show something with a kiwi racingTrue - fair comment. And if there's some even with a Kiwi racing in it (esp. if they're doing well), at least mention the damned thing in the summary!
But apparently, all we're interested in is rugby and cricket:whistle:

James Deuce
6th July 2004, 14:02
True - fair comment. And if there's some even with a Kiwi racing in it (esp. if they're doing well), at least mention the damned thing in the summary!
But apparently, all we're interested in is rugby and cricket:whistle:

And Netball, and NBL Basketball, and Tennis, and Squash, and Lawn Bowls, and antiques, and rallying, and motogp. But not the biggest, best competitor supported motorsport event in the country. Motocross. I've been going along to watch my nephew, and I am astounded by the number and quality of entrants at the Masterton run meets. 50-70 bikes, from top level KTMs, to kids on 50cc Jingshengs.

And Ben Townley is a very nice, well spoken young man, and the whole "idol" thing could easily be milked for all it's worth by a PR company with the right approach, because Ben also happens to be athletic in appearance. Like most motocrossers actually.

Motu
6th July 2004, 15:08
Yep - falling numbers of people riding bikes....but go to a motocross meeting and you wouldn't think so,lot's of guys riding,lots of people suporting them - the lavish spending is a bit over the top...the bikes,the gear,tow cars,pit tents...not many appear to be on a shoestring budget,at least not to my poor eyes.

NordieBoy
6th July 2004, 17:02
...not many appear to be on a shoestring budget,at least not to my poor eyes.

They're drifting over to Vintage MX.

Where else can you pick up an old XL250 twin shocker and ride it to the meeeting, race and ride it home again :)

pete376403
6th July 2004, 22:42
Can mono shock bikes be used in vintage m/c? I have a really original 78 or thereabouts IT400 which I hardly ever use. To good to dump, I'd like to see it go somewhere where it could be useful. The IT was not that far removed from the YZ - it already has a YZ piston and forks