PDA

View Full Version : Hi and derestricting SJ50QT?

Matt1553
26th October 2006, 21:33
Hi everyone,
I've just got a new (2006) Suzuki SJ50QT :scooter:. Definitely fun to ride and sure beats walking / biking :Punk:. It's the first scooter or motorbike I've ever ridden. I'm really enjoying it, but it's a bit annoying being able to only just make 50km/h with a headwind. I stumbled across these forums about 2 days ago, and had a bit of a read in the background. Everyone here seems friendly and knows what they're talking about, so I thought I'd ask this question here:
I've looked everywhere on the net on how to derestrict this scooter, and the best thing I've found so far is a post by Ninja on these forums (December 2005), who said: "Loosen the exhaust outlet bolts near the engine and slide the silver plate out. No Need to remove the exhaust for this procedure." After lying on a rather hard concrete floor for 30mins grappling with the bolts he mentioned (Damn those buggers were on tight!) I managed to get the bolts undone, but I didn't find any silver plate to remove between the exhaust and the engine. Am I blind or isn't it there? Should I take the exhaust right off the bike and have a look inside it? Also are there any other restrictions that can be removed (Gearing, CDI, others in exhaust etc)? Sorry if this is a question that's already been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find any more info on it. Anything you can tell me about it at all would really be appreciated.

mad paddy
11th April 2007, 19:58
Hi did you find out how to restrict your scooter? Im searching also and got no luck

Let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Shane:scooter:

kro
13th April 2007, 20:31
There is a little plate between the exhaust header, and the engine, just loosen off the two exhaust bolts, and pull the little metal plate out, and she should be good for about 70kph with a 70kg person on it. This will invalidate any warranty on the bike, and possibly insurance, and cops will notice a 50cc scooter pulling 65 kmh.

You have been warned.

Spyke
13th April 2007, 21:09
just a little while ago a mate of mine was caught on his scooter doing 65 and the cops gave him the option of getting a motorcycle licence or the fines. he took the first option.

to be honest i thought the cops were quite resonable.

derestricting these makes a big difference in acceleration, you'll be suprised.

delusionz
13th April 2007, 22:25
Your scooter will probably have a rev limiter in the CDI unit, To remove this you find your CDI unit and it will have 5 wires - Two going to the ignition coil, Two going to the alternator power, The 5th one will go to a device in the engine which gives it a voltage depending on RPM, Cutting this wire will make it 0 volts and the CDI will not know to limit the revs. The extra RPM speed gained will get your top speed from 50ish to 70ish. A couple good mods for starters is iridium spark plug for improved throttle response and easier cold starting, light weight variator rollers to get you up to speed quicker, Heavy duty clutch springs will raise your rpm engage point to give you better launches and get you into power band sooner -- these are the cheap and easy to do mods. Other mods are removing your cold air box and replacing it with a pod filter but this will require a carburettor retune so leave this until you know what you're doing and ofcourse changing your exhaust and installing a performance CDI unit with more aggressive ignition timings. Then after all that to make good use of your improved torque you might install a high speed pulley which will increase your gearing ratios giving you a higher top speed. Check out scootling.co.nz for all this stuff, the dude down there can help you out with all of that.

Hope this helps

AVMAN
26th August 2013, 21:35

Thanks so much for the advice on removing the exhaust restriction plate
she went from 55kms MAX to OFF THE CLOCK

This forum ROCKS !