PDA

View Full Version : Just another newbie (greenhorn)

greenhorn
6th July 2004, 13:02
Hi everyone
I guess i dont even qualify as a newbie as i dont even have a learners yet.
My Dad bought a 150cc chinese made bike. it looks like a Suzuki Intruder in style and i've been learning on that riding it round the cul de sac etc.
A mate also has given me a ride on his Yamaha FZR250
I'm getting set to get my basic handling skills cert and want to get a bike to commute into work and back. I like the FZR250 but i'm wondering if there is anyone out there like me who is tall? I am just over 6ft 5in (about 198cm) and weigh 125kg. After riding the fzr just for 5 minutes, i got off and felt sore and cramped round my hips. I wonder if that would dissapear once i got used to the bike?

I have another mate with a Harley Sportster 1200 whose coming round to give me a ride sometime (fool).
I guess the other option is to go with a bike that gives a more upright seating position but i'm not sure... i like the Yamaha virago's and the Intruders etc but they might be pretty useless for navigating the auckland peak hour motorway traffic to get to work and back, especially for a newbie.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

CHEERS!

Zed
6th July 2004, 13:09
Welcome to KB greenhorn - hope you enjoy your stay. :spudwave:

You are a big boy! I'm not sure that discomfort will go away on the 250cc? Sounds like you're too big for it, or for any 250 for that matter?? No doubt others will have some good suggestions for you.

Zed

vifferman
6th July 2004, 13:09
Hi everyoneWelcome, Greenhorn!

After riding the fzr just for 5 minutes, i got off and felt sore and cramped round my hips. I wonder if that would dissapear once i got used to the bike?It will get easier as you get used to the bike, BUT you are pretty big, so you'd be better off getting something that suits your size better, perhaps a trailie, or maybe a 'standard' (or 'naked') bike.

I guess the other option is to go with a bike that gives a more upright seating position but i'm not sure... i like the Yamaha virago's and the Intruders etc but they might be pretty useless for navigating the auckland peak hour motorway traffic to get to work and back, especially for a newbie.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

CHEERS!The cruiser bikes like you've mentioned would actually be good in traffic, as the way the steering's set up makes them more stable in a straight line and for trickling along. Also, the bars are wider than say a sportsbike, so they give more leverage = better for a newbie. Best thing is to go visit some bike shops and ask if you can sit on a few bikes to see what fits you well, then come up with a shortlist. Then hunt around for stuff on TradeMe or wherever that suits your list/price etc.
Maybe you can get a special dispensation to ride a bigger bike on medical grounds.:whistle:

Anyway, good luck. :niceone:

Motoracer
6th July 2004, 13:20
Welcome to the site Greenhorn,

Have you thought about trail bikes to commute in? You'll almost never break them if you drop it and even if the plastic bits break, they are piss cheap to replace. They should be great for tall guys too because they are really high off the ground and you wouldn't be bending your knees much.

greenhorn
6th July 2004, 14:06
Thanks for the advice. I was originally keen on a trail bike but was under the impression trail bikes were a bit unstable to ride on the road and not to great for cornering thus not a great idea to use as regular commuters??

Ms Piggy
6th July 2004, 14:38
Welcome, welcome greenhorn :2thumbsup You'll make some great friends here.

James Deuce
6th July 2004, 15:02
Thanks for the advice. I was originally keen on a trail bike but was under the impression trail bikes were a bit unstable to ride on the road and not to great for cornering thus not a great idea to use as regular commuters??

You could try a Motard if you aren't keen on a full traily.

http://www4.osk.3web.ne.jp/~vital/saisin-j/xr250-motard.jpg

This is an XR250 with 17" rims and street tyres.

Oh, and welcome :)

Motoracer
6th July 2004, 15:03

Na, me bro has had a 96 Kawasaki 'KLX650 and is now on a '95 Honda XR600 and reckons that they make the best commuting bikes. For one thing they are just so light, so you can move it around traffic with out any hassels. They have the relaxed seating position (specially for you tall fellas).

It's true about cornering in the wet with the knobbly tires. But I wouldn't call them dangerous. On dry roads, they are completly fine. I am not sure if you can get road tires for the original wheels on dirt bikes (Motu?) but if you could, you wouldn't have any worries after you change the tires. The wobbly feeling you get in the corners from the soft suspension just needs a bit of getting use to but once you do, it won't be a problem. Also, another thing is that if you have to commute long distances at motorway speeds, the bad aerodynamic body position can put stress on your arms when you are hanging on. I am assuming that you won't be going on the motorway anyway since you'll be on your learners though.

I'd advise a 4 stroke 250cc trail bike similar to a Honda XR 250. I am no expert on dirt bikes so I'll leave the rest to Motu or Merv or someone...

White trash
6th July 2004, 16:14
Welcome, greenhorn.

You want to have a crack on a new Suzuki GSX250. Biggest 250 on the market and a bloody good bike.

Not so good for wheelies

magnum
6th July 2004, 21:06
hello and welcome. :ride:

Motu
6th July 2004, 21:48
Dirt bikes make good commuters,back in the 80s everyone rode a dirt bike around town - XRs and TTs everywhere.They are certainly not unstable,they are made for stability at low speeds,big wide bars for leverage,sitting up tall for visability,feet under your bum so you can shift weight anywhere anytime.Good for a tall person,this coming from a short person.....Long travel soft suspn? yeah,you get used to it,infact you miss it when riding a street bike.You can get legal tyres that range from dirt to street - I can keep tabs on Two Smoker,so they can't be that bad eh?

Coming down the Nth Western this morning I saw a small cruiser and a dirt bike splitting together - I know who had a better idea of what was going on around him and on the bike that could react quicker.

greenhorn
7th July 2004, 09:45
Welcome, greenhorn.

You want to have a crack on a new Suzuki GSX250. Biggest 250 on the market and a bloody good bike.

Not so good for wheelies

A NEW Suzuki GSX250?? Are only the new ones big? I only got a limited budget...
Do you know the size difference? How significant is it?

BTW pardon my ignorance but what is a Motard? (Nice piccy Jim2)

James Deuce
7th July 2004, 10:09
A NEW Suzuki GSX250?? Are only the new ones big? I only got a limited budget...
Do you know the size difference? How significant is it?

BTW pardon my ignorance but what is a Motard? (Nice piccy Jim2)

Basically it's a trail bike or motor cross bike with road oriented suspension, rims, and tyres. The name is derived from a French race series that pitted road racers and motorcrossers against each other. The series was called the Guidon D'or (Golden Handlebar) and the bikes were called Super Motard. The US picked it up and called it Superbikers, but it faded for a while. It's back with a vengeance now though and is a class in the NZ Road Racing series.

toads
7th July 2004, 11:49
welcome greenhorn, I would think any cruiser would be more comfortable for you than a sports bike, but even better would be a motard or trailbike as you have a better seating position as well as being higher off the ground, good luck finding the right bike, I'm incredibly short and have trouble finding bikes small enough!!

greenhorn
7th July 2004, 12:25
I plan to take firestormer's advice and sit my bum on a few bikes at a bike shop.
Thanks for everyones replies I am finding them most helpful.
Anyone got any suggestions on a good place to go in Auckland? Somewhere helpful but not going to try and pester me too much into buying?

Also I wonder is there anyone out there who is maybe over 6 ft who can speak from experience?

Posh Tourer :P
7th July 2004, 17:54
Mt Eden motorcycles are great :) Always ready for a chat, and pretty relaxed... Lotsa bikes outside too, that you can look at... Also Another shop just across the road too (Haldanes?) so enough variety around. Barrys Pt Rd is the other centre for bike shops.. have a look at Cyclespot, they have heaps of bikes outside, so you can look closely at lots while hiding from the sales staff :P

maybe
7th July 2004, 21:00
Hi can never have enough members welcome

wari
9th July 2004, 05:24
JUst get an 1100 or somethingk bigger and put some 250 stickerrs onit ...

Those dum coppers will never know the differince .. :)

THInk outSIDE the square guys ... :spudwave:

dsweir
26th July 2004, 15:04
Contact the LTSA and there is a process you can follow to apply for an exemption to the 250cc ruling due to your size and weight. I am similar in both of these and have been told that I would most likely be granted an exemption on these grounds and that most 250cc are not designed with people of our dimensions in mind, thus making them unsafe to ride on.

However in saying that the Suzuki Intruder 250 is a lovely looking bike and the only crusier that I found which I felt comfortable on however when I was looking a few years ago there were none on the second hand market and a brand new one was around the $10,000 mark.

The Suzuki GSX250 however is retailing for about $6000 brand new and its frame is actually the same dimensions as they use in their 500cc version.

All the best with you biking.

crazy_phrog
21st March 2006, 13:03
Hows it? I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but I got this awesome GSX250 now. 4 stroke and all. Really awesome. But can't wait to get my full and get rid of it. You sound more like a fan of the uprights as I call them, but if ya want sporty, there may be one extreme option. Get one with double seat and foot pegs, replace the seat with a single, and extend the gear change lever to the back pegs. I have no idea if it will work, but I'm sure someone is crazy enough to try it.

Keep up the good work.

SwanTiger
21st March 2006, 13:07
Get a Hyosung GT 250R, biggest 250cc Motorcycle I have ever seen.

I'm quite big like you and it does me fine.

Wellyman
21st March 2006, 17:05
Hello.
Welcome aboard to Kiwibiker,
Hope you enjoy the stay and please don't feed the animals (White Trash,Mikey,Winja)
WM

BEAMER89
21st March 2006, 19:26
Welcome to KB Greenhorn! enjoy the site matey.:spudbooge

far queue
21st March 2006, 19:44
welcome aboard

Patrick
21st March 2006, 19:52
Gidday and welcome. Not quite as tall or heavy, but not too far off and I have no probs on either the naked 1995 Bandit 250 with 10,000kms on clock or the 2002 GSX with 8500kms on the clock...

BTW... did I mention I will be selling my Bandit and GSX soon?

Scorpygirl
21st March 2006, 20:03
Hi all

This post was started on the 6 July 2004. The last time Greenhorn posted was 19 September 2005!!! :eek5: :wacko: ;)

Patrick
22nd March 2006, 13:45
See??? Just goes to show we haven't forgotten him...oops:doh:

Edit: 5 others before me, another one after... but well spotted Scorpy

"D" FZ1
22nd March 2006, 14:42
Welcome. We have got a couple of road legal WR250F's in stock which would be perfect for your size. Give me a call if you like on 07 8505044 or 021 300425. Cheers. Dave.

Cookie
22nd March 2006, 15:32
And I would add "hahahahhahahaha" :)

[Edit] Refer to Scorpygirl's post above. ^

Kali
22nd March 2006, 16:08
hey there welcome to kb. enjoy