PDA

View Full Version : Star Insurance - Track Days

Star Insurance
27th October 2006, 10:19
For a final clarification regarding bikes insured with Star Insurance who will be participating on any track day.

You are insured under the standard terms and conditions of the policy, provided that on the track day the motorcycle is not being used for any racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, hill climbing or speed tests, motorcross, trail riding or off road recreational activity, or being ridden in preparation for one of these activities.

A qualified training instructor is not compulsory, but recommended on track/training days.

Philip Newall
General Manager
Star Insurance

kiwifruit
27th October 2006, 10:30
thanks for clearing that up

emaN
27th October 2006, 10:34
How's that?!
Pretty cool that a GM takes the time to join up & post that!

Wonder if GM whats-his-face of AA will?
Prob too busy memorising his latest speech/policy the LTSA emailed thru' to him more like...

Cibby
27th October 2006, 10:42
Wicked.. Cheers Phil!!

Str8 Jacket
27th October 2006, 10:49
How's that?!
Pretty cool that a GM takes the time to join up & post that!

Wonder if GM whats-his-face of AA will?
Prob too busy memorising his latest speech/policy the LTSA emailed thru' to him more like...

Yeah, im with Star Insurance, they have been excellent and Phil is great to deal with! Not that im going on the track or anything, just thought id put in a good word for Star (and Phil)

The_Dover
27th October 2006, 10:53
cheers Phil, I promise not to crash.

Squeak the Rat
27th October 2006, 10:53
A marketing genius at work.

(not you dover)

The Pastor
27th October 2006, 11:28
For a final clarification regarding bikes insured with Star Insurance who will be participating on any track day.

You are insured under the standard terms and conditions of the policy, provided that on the track day the motorcycle is not being used for any racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, hill climbing or speed tests, motorcross, trail riding or off road recreational activity, or being ridden in preparation for one of these activities.

A qualified training instructor is not compulsory, but recommended on track/training days.

Philip Newall
General Manager
Star Insurance

So what your saying is your insured for the track, as long as you don't go on it and crash?

Postie
27th October 2006, 11:39
So what your saying is your insured for the track, as long as you don't go on it and crash?

English is not one of your strongs points is it mate?

kiwifruit
27th October 2006, 12:01

How did you fathom that man?

R6_kid
27th October 2006, 12:13
How did you fathom that man?

look through his post history and you'll struggle to understand how god fathomed him!

Just one question, is there an age restriction applied to this particular clause? I remember a friend being insured in such circumstances but at the time it was only for 25yr+ or something similar.

kiwifruit
27th October 2006, 12:17
look through his post history and you'll struggle to understand how god fathomed him!

Yeah, i know he is probably just shit stirring, but i still try to give him the benefit of the doubt... ya never know, maybe its a serious post? heh

Ixion
27th October 2006, 12:38
A marketing genius at work.

(not you dover)
Yes. Well done, that man.

sAsLEX
27th October 2006, 13:02
thanks for clearing that up

Umm one post from a new member and you believe that?!

Would personally want it emailed/ in writing rather than an uncofirmed post in a public forum

SpankMe
27th October 2006, 13:07
provided that on the track day the motorcycle is not being used for any racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, hill climbing or speed tests, motorcross, trail riding or off road recreational activity, or being ridden in preparation for one of these activities.

speed tests? Sounds a little vague. Even an open day could be considered as testing the speed (top speed) of your bike on the track.

kiwifruit
27th October 2006, 13:10

Would personally want it emailed/ in writing rather than an uncofirmed post in a public forum

i have it writing

cheers :)

sAsLEX
27th October 2006, 13:31
speed tests? Sounds a little vague. Even an open day could be considered as testing the speed (top speed) of your bike on the track.

To test speed you generally use external measuring equipment, such as the wiarapapa flying 1/4 etc , else put some tape over your speedo if you bin it

jetboy
27th October 2006, 14:55

If you are insured with Star Insurance just read your policy wording.

scott2ride
7th November 2006, 12:23
I'm an insurance Broker and use Star plus several other Bike insurers.

I can vouch for STAR 100%. They pay out promptly and with minimum fuss. Several recent claims have seen the owners into brand new bikes in a very short space of time, with one into his new bike within the week. Thats not always the norm, but shows how efficient they are when the claim forms and all info required is supplied promptly by the person making the claim.

If you need a competitive quote, contact me via a PM, email scott@force10.co.nz or 021740222

I also attend many of these track days so can chat there too.

Cheers

Scott

Cajun
7th November 2006, 16:52
i have a question.

How about running bike with track day fairing, bikes are not being used for racing or prepartion in racing, have just picked up 2nd hand race fairing cheap?

Would they still be covered?

jetboy
8th November 2006, 11:38
Check with your insurer as they all have different opinions on the matter.

scott2ride
8th November 2006, 14:55
i have a question.

How about running bike with track day fairing, bikes are not being used for racing or prepartion in racing, have just picked up 2nd hand race fairing cheap?

Would they still be covered?

The Fairing you have on your bike should have no bearing on your policy. Just as long as it is not a race bike and is your normal road bike then you should be ok. Obviously check your policy wording, however I would doubt VERY much the policy would exclude you or decline you based on you having an after market fairing. Just as long as you were not racing or undergoing competitive testing etc. So you should be covered as long as you were at an instructional day, were having tuition or instruction or were generally doing rider training.

Each company is different and tar or Classic Cover should be ok, but I really do recommend you check your wordings and be very cautious with Protector or Swan insurance..

jetboy
10th November 2006, 12:22
The Fairing you have on your bike should have no bearing on your policy. Just as long as it is not a race bike and is your normal road bike then you should be ok. Obviously check your policy wording, however I would doubt VERY much the policy would exclude you or decline you based on you having an after market fairing. Just as long as you were not racing or undergoing competitive testing etc. So you should be covered as long as you were at an instructional day, were having tuition or instruction or were generally doing rider training.

Each company is different and tar or Classic Cover should be ok, but I really do recommend you check your wordings and be very cautious with Protector or Swan insurance..
Even though the policy may not exclude or decline you if you fit aftermarket parts, tell your insurer you have them fitted, because if you don't and you need to make a claim they can decline you for non-disclosure.

Insurer's dont use this information to "judge", they just need to assess the risk and apply terms as appropriate. This goes for convictions aswell.

scott2ride
11th November 2006, 14:42
No need to notify your insurance company if you have general aftermarket parts such as a fairing or even an exhaust system. I have seen many claims over the vears and no-one was ever declined due to things like that.

However if you have significant performance mods such as a turbo on your bike, then I do suggest you notify them about that.

The bike companys almost expect a sports bike to have aftermarket cans or stearing Dampers or rearsets etc, so they are not an issue. But nitrus or a turbo is pretty significant with respect to liklyhood of impending accidents and general risk.

YellowDuke
25th November 2006, 12:49
I had been talking to Baker Insurance offering Star Insurance regarding track days. I got a verbal yes but when I asked them to put it in writing they came back (in writing) and said that they dont cover track days anymore. This was 6 weeks ago.

Star Insurance
25th November 2006, 19:57
Trackdays are still covered under our policy and if you want that in writing call me on Monday on 0800 96 8000 or send a pm

Philip

FROSTY
3rd December 2006, 04:06
there ya go folks--from the horses mouth

Croft
3rd December 2006, 07:32
there ya go folks--from the horses mouth
Whoza Frosty.... you up early or what???!!! :zzzz: :zzzz: :sunny:

Heard about the early bird n all but browsing KB at 5am on a SUNDAY!!! ha!! :gob:

DEATH_INC.
2nd January 2007, 06:37
I wonder if any of you guys are brave enough to give me insurance????

Shaun
3rd January 2007, 13:35
I wonder if any of you guys are brave enough to give me insurance????

hahaha Doubt it mate, you have started a RUMOUR that you are a bad risk, and you would be VERY surprised how many of the Insurance people are on here all the time reading all the RUMOURS and acting purelly on RUMOUR

I used to think that facts matter

eviltwin
27th January 2007, 22:09
Unfortunately I wrote my bike off at the Pukekohe track day last weekend.

I spent a lot of money on my bike...it was my baby, and to see it like that was very sad indeed. What was sadder was the thought that I'd be off the road for weeks on end.

I rang Star on Monday, they assessed the damage, wrote it off, found a new replacement bike and I'm now back on the road again inside a week.

Obviously i had no intention of binning my bike, but if i had to have an accident anywhere this was the safest place to do it, no oncoming traffic, ambo's on site etc.

For every trackday i invest in, i become a better rider, i walk away knowing have been given the learn by someone more experienced than me...and to have my insurance company support my quest to become a better rider, that's bloody awesome!

I'm so unbelievably impressed with your service Star, thank you!

kiwifruit
27th January 2007, 22:21
impressive!:yes:

Devil
7th February 2007, 07:33
Awesome to hear it! I am with Star too, through John Baker and do like to do the occasional trackday!

Glad that pretty ZX10 got sorted.

moT
23rd April 2007, 14:04
so if you were not using the motorcycle for any racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, hill climbing or speed tests, motorcross, trail riding or off road recreational activity, or being ridden in preparation for one of these activities.
if you do crash what the hell do you say you were doing

FROSTY
27th April 2007, 14:44
tom --you them the truth -the WHOLE truth
Ive been contacted by 3 insurance assessors over the last few years- the ONLY time there was an issue was when the guy concerned blatently bullshitted.

jetboy
27th April 2007, 14:49
tom --you them the truth -the WHOLE truth
Ive been contacted by 3 insurance assessors over the last few years- the ONLY time there was an issue was when the guy concerned blatently bullshitted.
yeah mate no use fibbing because if you get found out your claim will be declined, and if it is serious enough you may even have a fraud conviction against your name. it does happen.

Actually - this is one of the reasons why premiums go up sometimes. People claiming on their contents for a 52" plasma tv and cinema quality surround sound when all they had was a warehouse stereo and a black and white tv.

R6_kid
2nd May 2007, 21:30
so if you were not using the motorcycle for any racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, hill climbing or speed tests, motorcross, trail riding or off road recreational activity, or being ridden in preparation for one of these activities.
if you do crash what the hell do you say you were doing

i think it basically says that the bike isnt a dedicated 'race bike', i see trackday's a means to improve my riding, and to enjoy the challenge of riding fast without having a cop on my tail (or trying to be as it may be)... if you are treating it as a day to improve your skills and enjoy riding your bike then you are all good.

Brett
2nd May 2007, 21:44
As Star wont insure me as I am under 25, I am forced to run with State...who to be fair have not been difficult for me yet. However I have yet to lodge a claim where I am at fault.

Has anyone here had dealing with State with regard to track days. I have checked my policy and it has the standard ' not being used for time trials, up-hill racing blah blah - no mention of rider training days or trackdays.

FROSTY
3rd May 2007, 22:42
Brett---talk to them--and refer them to post er-5 in the Kb trackday thread
on that basis they will be able to give you a definative answer.

slinky
9th May 2007, 08:30
As Star wont insure me as I am under 25, I am forced to run with State...who to be fair have not been difficult for me yet. However I have yet to lodge a claim where I am at fault.

Has anyone here had dealing with State with regard to track days. I have checked my policy and it has the standard ' not being used for time trials, up-hill racing blah blah - no mention of rider training days or trackdays.

oh! so star won't do under 25 at all?? how much is full cover with state for you??

Wasp
9th May 2007, 12:13

oh! so star won't do under 25 at all?? how much is full cover with state for you??
um..... I'm 18 and have my 02 636 insured with them.....decent price too....

slinky
9th May 2007, 18:13
um..... I'm 18 and have my 02 636 insured with them.....decent price too....

im sold! star it is

Brett was it because you don't have a full licence?? or do ya have one of those?

Wasp
10th May 2007, 13:17
im sold! star it is

Brett was it because you don't have a full licence?? or do ya have one of those?
They insured me on the 636 even when i didnt have my full - special deal cos im through dave@kiwibike though

jetboy
14th May 2007, 08:25
see me if you are under 25.....

CHOPPA
7th April 2008, 14:43
i cant say enough for this insurance company! i scored a cheap bike off them they had written off and my old man just had an accident on his zx14 and they have written that off no hassles at all!

my sis and mum have insurance with them as well, its good to support these guys so they can afford to keep payin for our crashed bikes :)

boomer
7th April 2008, 14:46
i cant say enough for this insurance company! i scored a cheap bike off them they had written off and my old man just had an accident on his zx14 and they have written that off no hassles at all!

my sis and mum have insurance with them as well, its good to support these guys so they can afford to keep payin for our crashed bikes :)

BLOODY KWAKA RIDERS...... STOP crashing man !!!:Pokey:

Be Smooooooth bro... Smooooooth :spanking:

Cajun
7th April 2008, 15:13
BLOODY KWAKA RIDERS...... STOP crashing man !!!:Pokey:

Be Smooooooth bro... Smooooooth :spanking:

His father brought a gsxr 1000k8 so he learnt something

CHOPPA
7th April 2008, 21:17
haha yeah i no! He wont let me go near it either! maybe he has learnt?

Biggles08
27th April 2008, 12:25
Haven't read through the whole thread but Star Insurance don't insure bikes on Kiwitrackdays...they told me when I rang up to check.