PDA

View Full Version : Riding down from Aucks to TD4?

Drunken Monkey
27th October 2006, 10:30
The usual deal. Pack ride down the day before, probably via 39 to Te Kuiti then across to Taupo via Mangakino. Probably in the rain if previous experience is anything to go by. Stopping at Camellia Court around 6ish. Irish pub for dinner, for those that are keen.

Who? Anyone heading down Saturday and staying at Taupo the night before TD4. If you live somewhere on the way, i.e. Tha 'Tron, and would like to join us, please post in this thread.

What? The ride, dummy. Ya know, down to Taupo for TD4.

Where? Meet at Autobahn, Papakura. Anywhere else on the way as required.

When? Saturday 4th November @ 1:30pm, leaving by 2pm at the latest.

How? On two wheels, of course. I'm going to open this to all abilities, with one caveat (see below). Stopping every 15 for ciggies (not).

Special Instructions? Don't forget your rain dance, it's just not the same without the rain...

The caveat: If you don't know the way, please make sure you have the ability to keep up. Please, please, please, if you leave the pack for whatever reason, let someone know. As funny as it sounds, we don't want to send Doug half way back to Auckland only to find you've been sitting at the pub in Taupo all afternoon. If you're slow AND you don't know the way, buddy up with someone who does or consider taking the route down the big SH1 instead.

No need to register your intent, just make sure you're at the meeting point BEFORE 2.

changes: Meeting at whatawhata, taking route as described below.

Questions?

Mental Trousers
29th October 2006, 12:43
Meet at Whatawhata and I shall accompany you lot. But I'd suggest a different route which is quicker, not as boring and has less traffic.

Big image clicky clicky (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32970&d=1148367178)

Zapf
30th October 2006, 00:48
might be there 2 up or we might leave earlier so you might catch us on the way

NinjaBoy
30th October 2006, 18:45
Meet at Whatawhata and I shall accompany you lot. But I'd suggest a different route which is quicker, not as boring and has less traffic.

Big image clicky clicky (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32970&d=1148367178)

Did the route last weekend and there were some roadworks/traffic lights in the twisties to Mangakino. Don't mention the R.... word and you should be OK

Zapf
31st October 2006, 02:23
Did the route last weekend and there were some roadworks/traffic lights in the twisties to Mangakino. Don't mention the R.... word and you should be OK

R?

10 char...

NinjaBoy
31st October 2006, 22:06
R?

10 char...

R= Rain ..... had enuff of that on rides to Taupo

SlowHand
31st October 2006, 22:39
R= Rain ..... had enuff of that on rides to Taupo

Oh gawd, now we are doomed. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

NinjaBoy
1st November 2006, 17:48
Oh bugger.... Zapf tricked me into saying it :gob:

Zapf
1st November 2006, 21:56
Oh bugger.... Zapf tricked me into saying it :gob:

tricks? oh master trickes us :P

Arven
2nd November 2006, 17:14
Sweet me and some mates will meet up with yous. Hope the weather lasts like it is today! MEEEAN! :sunny:

Mental Trousers
2nd November 2006, 17:31
There some patches of new seal climbing up from Whakapapa dam heading south for about 5k. There wasn't anything bad there but I'm still going to be taking it easy through there because it was new seal. Is that what you're talking about or is there more roadworks??

trumpy
2nd November 2006, 19:10
There some patches of new seal climbing up from Whakapapa dam heading south for about 5k. There wasn't anything bad there but I'm still going to be taking it easy through there because it was new seal. Is that what you're talking about or is there more roadworks??

Roadworks on that stretch still going. Little hard to see the gravel in the dark:eek5: , otherwise ok.

Mental Trousers
2nd November 2006, 19:18
Ta Trumpy

NinjaBoy
2nd November 2006, 19:46

there were patches of gravel as you say. But last friday they put in traffic lights and had a single lane in a section where they were digging out a trench. Otherwise I think we should be OK.

boomer
2nd November 2006, 19:54
but I'm still going to be taking it easy through there

your a slow poke, you don't have to slow down any more for a bit of gravel grandma:innocent:

Mental Trousers
2nd November 2006, 20:05
Hey I don't lie down in sandpits or anything like that mate. When I crash I do it properly and break bones heh

boomer
2nd November 2006, 20:07
thats because unlike my cat like reactions and instincts you're an old bugga and sneezing is likely to break bones!!!

See you on saturday fella :rockon:

Mental Trousers
2nd November 2006, 20:12
Roger that.

Drunken Monkey
3rd November 2006, 15:24
This is still on. Meeting up with Hamilton crew (or maybe just crazy-pants if he's a nigel-no-mates) at whatawhatawhatawhatwhatathingamajiggy around 3 - 3:30...

my cell, for emergencies, "don't leave yet I'm running late" TXTs, "please wait I fell in a ditch" TXTs, or whateva = oh two one, five five six, double-oh eight.

Arven
3rd November 2006, 15:30
oh two one, five five six, double-oh eight.

Is this like trademe or something? not alowed to give your contact info out eh?? :P :innocent:

The Stranger
3rd November 2006, 15:36
We (3 bikes so far) are meeting at the Autobahn at 10:00 on Saturday and will be off to Taupo shortly thereafter. Just another option.

Motoracer
3rd November 2006, 20:31
Anyone leaving on Sunday morning? Other than me obviously.

I'll be heading down tomorrow with my bro, probably leave auckland around 10:30... we'll be diverting via Rotorua though, gotta get some luge time in when you can eh :D

boomer
3rd November 2006, 21:32
Weasel, bring a 20 note with ya bro :) good on ya :yes:

Sure thing man, but just make sure you swallow this time, saves on the clean up ;)

boomer
3rd November 2006, 21:36
Sure thing man, but just make sure you swallow this time, saves on the clean up ;)

I will as long as you wash, this time ..deal? and remember to wash 'under' ya beer gut.. thats the shizniz that made my eyes water :(

The_Dover
3rd November 2006, 21:42
I'll be heading down tomorrow with my bro, probably leave auckland around 10:30... we'll be diverting via Rotorua though, gotta get some luge time in when you can eh :D

aren't you taking your mum too bro?

aren't you taking your mum too bro?

Not on the bike... she'll be driving the car ;)

Motoracer
3rd November 2006, 22:25
Fugg it. Just saw the starting time for this thing.

I can't leave any earlier so there's only one way to do this.

Solo mission.

See you guys there.

Qkchk
6th November 2006, 14:36
So did you guys find your way across from Te Awamutu? :dodge: The 3 of us decided to split and ended up doing 450kms that day......... went down to Taumaranui and over the saddle thro to Kinloch. By the time we got down there we were stuffed but had the most awesome ride! Bloody sweet road over the saddle, a road not explored enough.

NinjaBoy
6th November 2006, 18:50
So did you guys find your way across from Te Awamutu? :dodge: The 3 of us decided to split and ended up doing 450kms that day......... went down to Taumaranui and over the saddle thro to Kinloch. By the time we got down there we were stuffed but had the most awesome ride! Bloody sweet road over the saddle, a road not explored enough.

Of course we did, didn't you see us at the track ? :dodge:

I have to admit considering the size of the group and the number of unscheduled stops :shutup: etc... we still got there inside 3.5 hours.

Mental Trousers
6th November 2006, 19:34
I have to admit considering the size of the group and the number of unscheduled stops :shutup: etc... we still got there inside 3.5 hours.

The ride down was like herding cats. We only managed to lose 1 (the guy on the CBR250 who ended up riding down SH1) and really only had the 1 incident (dude's bag popped open).

Drunken Monkey
7th November 2006, 18:50
The ride down was like herding cats.

Herding cats indeed = Quite appropriate. I'm not all for big pre-ride speeches, people are usually grown up enough and ugly enough to look after themselves.

I would like to make a couple of general requests for anyone who goes on a pack ride with me in future:

1. If you need to pull over for something minor, e.g. to scratch your nuts, adjust your undies, whatever, please do so while making a motion waving any other riders on so they know they can keep going.

2. If someone infront of you stops, please don't all haul the anchors in and stop in a bunch in the middle of the road. Instead, why don't you try slowing down slowly, then pull over in single file and an orderly fashion i.e. let the guy in front of you pull over and stop, then stop infront of him, the person behind you should do the same and come to a stop in front of you, so on and so forth...

justsomeguy
7th November 2006, 19:00
Herding cats indeed = Quite appropriate. I'm not all for big pre-ride speeches, people are usually grown up enough and ugly enough to look after themselves. (Who gave you that wacky idea??)

I would like to make a couple of general requests for anyone who goes on a pack ride with me in future:

1. If you need to pull over for something minor, e.g. to scratch your nuts, adjust your undies, whatever, please do so while making a motion waving any other riders on so they know they can keep going.

2. If someone infront of you stops, please don't all haul the anchors in and stop in a bunch in the middle of the road. Instead, why don't you try slowing down slowly, then pull over in single file and an orderly fashion i.e. let the guy in front of you pull over and stop, then stop infront of him, the person behind you should do the same and come to a stop in front of you, so on and so forth...

:lol: ...... :killingme:........:lol: ...... :killingme:........:lol: ...... :killingme:........:lol: ...... :killingme:........

WTF are you complaing about - large KB rides have been a comedy of errors since the day they started!!!

You know this - every large ride is the same.

Remember the post you made.... some time ago.... I can't find the bloody thing..

But it was just as funny and echoed the above post exactly in subject matter.

Drunken Monkey
7th November 2006, 19:06
OMG Really?! I'm old and repeating myself already! OMG Really?!

*scratches nuts*

justsomeguy
7th November 2006, 19:12
OMG Really?! I'm old and repeating myself already! OMG Really?!

*scratches nuts*

Mate - I'm laughing my head off cos you reminded me how pissed off I used to get with the constant stopping, talking about the weather, frigging loooooong lunches.......

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=806268&postcount=9