PDA

View Full Version : Restricted?

Morcs
27th October 2006, 16:17
Bought a 97 bandit from Red baron, a direct import from Japan.

She cant push past 145 (on a private road of course) and not that i want to go any faster, im thinking its restricted - as all Japanese models after 1989 had speed restrictions.

Ive found a box that will fool the ECU, from http://www.apexleisure.co.uk/m-max.htm

These boxes WILL NOT add more power to your bike as such. Their primary purpose is to remove the top end speed restriction that was imposed on Japanese domestic models made from 1989 onwards. They do this by fooling the ECU into thinking the bike is in a lower gear than it really is and therefore allowing the bike to rev out cleanly at the top end all the way through the red line. If you are after more power from your bike this can only be achieved through the fitment of such items as aftermarket exhausts, jet kits, air filters etc as well as engine tuning. Once these areas have been addressed then the use of an M-Max will allow your now unrestricted engine to rev cleanly all the way through to the red line and take full advantage of all the other tuning work that you have done.

They are like $150+, just wondering if anyone knows its something that a shop can do?

Many thanks in advance.

James Deuce
27th October 2006, 16:21
The restriction was to stop bikes exceeding 180km/hr. I don't think the mod will help, UNLESS of course someone has tampered with stock ECU. I know it's a wildly different bike, but 180km/hr on my old TRX was 7krpm in top. If you cut the wrong wire it limited you to 7krpm in ALL gears.

Also you may find it will go faster in 5th gear than top. What revs are you pulling in 6th at 145?

xwhatsit
27th October 2006, 16:29
How much quicker will a 250 Bandit go than 145kph? Can't be too much. 4 stroke 250cc is 4 stroke 250cc... can't be that quick. If they are supposed to go a bit faster than that then perhaps the engine is just in need of some work to get it up to condition. It's probably been sitting in a container for months glugging up, and if Red Baron is anything like KB posts have said they are then Red Baron are unlikely to have done much to fix it.

Wasp
27th October 2006, 17:13
might get by buying a '90 ecu box

yes your bike IS restricted to 40hp, flying 1/4 speed for my bandit is 176 km/h speedo ends at 180 and ive had it past :innocent:

Drum
27th October 2006, 18:13
might get by buying a '90 ecu box

yes your bike IS restricted to 40hp, flying 1/4 speed for my bandit is 176 km/h speedo ends at 180 and ive had it past :innocent:

was 176 km/h?

Sorry Wasp, couldnt resist:Pokey:

James Deuce
27th October 2006, 19:04
It's not the ECU restricting your bike then Morcs. Probably needs a carb clean.

Morcs
28th October 2006, 08:54
Could be, im going to get it setup on a dyno next week as its quite obviously not set up right.

Not sure what revs in pushing in 6th at that speed, I only look at the speedo when going that fast - never tried red lining in 5th, usually just straight into 6th as the top 3 gears are quite close together.

I shall have to do some more practical research :whistle:

James Deuce
28th October 2006, 09:04
I shall have to do some more practical research :whistle:

Good man :)

Wasp
28th October 2006, 09:50
actually, i remember reading somewhere (bandtialley forums?) that they made the carbs not open fully or something?

Morcs
30th October 2006, 13:13
Right, heres the guts:

Rang Red Baron service dept, said I wanted it put on the dyno, get it setup spot bollock (bogging in midrange due to pipe), and also confirm whether restricted.
Guy pretty much told me to get stuffed and insulted me by saying its only a Bandit 250, not a cbr. So never using there service dept ever again.

Rang Colemans, spoke to Dan the parts guy (who is really helpful), asked him if they derestrict them - he said they are restricted in the carbs and electronically - but no they wont do it, 'buy a bigger bike'...

I just dont understand it, im willing to pay money to get shit done (even if they advise is not really worth it) and they still wont do what i want to pay them to do?

If they knew i spent over $3k last year tuning a scooter, they'd be more than happy to assist me...

Wasp
30th October 2006, 13:27
lol, yea this sort of thing happens. one time I was told my bike "was a peice of shit" to my face - I dont go to that shop anymore.

I only get about 15km/L thats roughy half of what it should get, its not worth it - get a bigger bike.

p.s. if you ever have your muffler off the header pipes start your bike, sounds beautiful :yes: