PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Clear & Wireless Router

m99dws
28th October 2006, 17:56
Anyone using TelstraClear Cable with Linksys WRT54G router? Have done as I'm supposed but to no avail. Starting to doubt my own skills as an IT professional! :angry:

James Deuce
28th October 2006, 18:23
Is this one you brought with you from the UK?

m99dws
28th October 2006, 18:44
Nope, from Dick Smiths yesterday. Followed documentation to the word but won't friggin connect!

James Deuce
28th October 2006, 19:01
Take it back mate. Make sure you get one that can do IPSEC passthrough. Hint, Hint.

MrMelon
28th October 2006, 19:12
What's the problem with it? I've got one set up for someone on cable. Is it that the router can't see the internet, or that your wireless devices can't talk to the router?

m99dws
28th October 2006, 19:54
If it's on DHCP is accepts an address but won't go any further. According to the Clear site it's supposed to run via PPPoE but won't respond to that either.

Might go back and get the Netgear one . . .

MrMelon
28th October 2006, 20:10
If it's on DHCP is accepts an address but won't go any further. According to the Clear site it's supposed to run via PPPoE but won't respond to that either.

Might go back and get the Netgear one . . .

Are you setting a static ip address on the interface the cable modem plugs in to? I think telstraclear cable modems just use static ip addresses unless they've changed it recently. If it was working with another router Maybe check the netgear's config to get the address for the cable modem out if you don't know it. Give it a go if you haven't already.

m99dws
28th October 2006, 20:25
Already set the static IP, but still doesn't play ball. Maybe I'll go back to Netgear

m99dws
29th October 2006, 08:51
Never mind, fixed now - thought I was going insane!

Fatjim
29th October 2006, 10:09
Prolly the cable connection. Always check the lights and do a ping test before you blame the wireless.

But I'd still rather have cable than DSL

m99dws
29th October 2006, 13:37
Connectivity was fine. This morning after the red wine mist had cleared I reset both boxes and setup again, worked fine.
Guess it might have been an alcohol induced fault hehe

I'll now also be using http://research.microsoft.com/netres/projects/virtualwifi/ to get some extra bandwidth from an unsecure neighbours house at the same time :)

scracha
29th October 2006, 16:33
Connectivity was fine. This morning after the red wine mist had cleared I reset both boxes and setup again, worked fine.
Guess it might have been an alcohol induced fault hehe

I'll now also be using http://research.microsoft.com/netres/projects/virtualwifi/ to get some extra bandwidth from an unsecure neighbours house at the same time :)

I've found the range of them Linksys routers seriously lacking compared to others.