PDA

View Full Version : Hanmer Springs

car
28th October 2006, 21:18
We're still on the grand tour of NZ, having made it from Whangarei to Christchurch. We popped by Hanmer Springs this lunchtime and, for some reason, the missus and I both got a really good buzz off the place. So good that we're seriously questioning whether we're going to continue the tour all the way down to Invercargill -- as we originally planned -- or just pop in to the bank on Monday and see if we can strongarm the manager into lending us the money to buy a business in HS.

Any of you guys live out that way? Used to live out that way? Informed and constructive opinion appreciated, and virtually indistinguishable from sterno-fuelled ravings, as ever.

Cheers,

Chris.

scumdog
28th October 2006, 21:21
Keep going sonny, there's a shitload of even better places to visit further down the country.:yes:

Not that there's too much wrong with HS imho.

98tls
28th October 2006, 21:24
Im with SD....HS is a awsome spot but theres plenty more of them as you travel around...bit like buying the first bike you see....mistake...

car
28th October 2006, 21:31
Keep going sonny, there's a shitload of even better places to visit further down the country.:yes:

Not that there's too much wrong with HS imho.

Heh. The problem with the question that we're asking ourselves, "where's the best place in New Zealand for us to stop and put down roots?", is that there is no one answer.

We've been on the road now since 4th September, me, the wife and two nippers, and we're getting tired of it to be honest. Beautiful as each new turn in the road is, I'm sick of unpacking the wagon every night and packing it back up every morning.

Plus, it's costing me many dollars per day. Dollars I could be putting to better use.

98tls
28th October 2006, 21:34
Fair enough.......for what its worth if it was me i would be settling on the west coast of the south island....awsome place.

car
28th October 2006, 21:35
Im with SD....HS is a awsome spot but theres plenty more of them as you travel around...bit like buying the first bike you see....mistake...

This isn't the first bike we've seen, though. It's the first one we've thought "screw the looking, this is found."

Without sounding like my mind's made up already, obviously.

;)

car
28th October 2006, 21:39
Fair enough.......for what its worth if it was me i would be settling on the west coast of the south island....awsome place.

See, I was all for going from Nelson down the west coast a bit and then over through Arthur's Pass, but the wife fancied Kaikoura. Nice place, that. You mean up Greymouth way, or further south? The travel books seem plenty down on the whole west coast, barring the sights of Milford Sound.

98tls
28th October 2006, 21:51
Was thinking GReymouth or there abouts....thing is theres heaps of little places around the big places if you get what i mean...was over there last weekend and on the sunday night my mate took us for a tiki tour around these little places..awsome indeed and on our travels came across 2 little businesses for sale..got me thinking...always comes back to money at the end of the day...thing with the coast is is still relatively cheap to buy something and its a real go ahead place when it comes to tourism...theres a $ dollar to be made...to top it off your living in one of the last bastions of the real new zealand.

MD
17th November 2006, 21:45
Let me get this straight Car. You are looking for a pleasant place to buy a business and settle down and raise your little nippers? So you need to tick 3 things off. 1. a place you and the Mrs like 2. with a business that is for sale and one you can run AND one that will make a $ and 3. suitable for your Kids. Big ask!
Hamner Springs is one of dozens of nice spots in the Sth island. Not as many good places in the Nth Island. If it wasn't where my work was I would exit Wellington faster than a speeding motorcyclist with no demerit points.
Hawkes Bay would be my pick in the North.
Forget the Sth Island West Coast. The wet weather would depress you and there is not much to select from as far as sucessful business goes. Saying that I was in Hokitika recently and it was a beaut day and the place was booming- surprised the hell out of me and I was born in Greymouth!
I had many mis-spent weekends as a teen-aboppa in Hamner Springs and can see why you like it. Bloody freezing in winter, you know that don't you?
What sort of business did you have in mind? If it's touristy based then check out further south like Wanaka, Queenstown, Otago, Chch etc..
Good luck anyway. I'm just jealous that you are putting happiness before work considerations in picking where you live. Ignore that last bit- just the ramblings of a frustrated rider suffering from hibernating all year because Wgtn is stuck in a never ending windy and wet winter. Wherever you settle will be better than here.

MyGSXF
17th November 2006, 22:08
Did you check out Motueka?????? An hours drive from Nelson. At the bottom of the infamous Takaka hill!! A gorgeous area.. heaps of seasonal fruit type work, & other stuff. An absolute boom town over the summer period. HEAPS of outdoors type stuff on ya back door step. The golden sands of Kaiteri beach, over the hill to Takaka, Collingwood & Fairwell Spit. Fantastic rivers & oodles of tramping tracks. Natures playground!! Brilliant weather! A gorgeous environment to bring the kids up in!!! I have recently moved from there over to Richmond (Nelson), but only to be closer to Polytech.. I went back there today & found I was really missing the place!!! :mellow:

give it a looksee before you decide!!!! :yes:

Jen :rockon:

scumdog
20th November 2006, 22:02
But don't forget the wasps, the dodgy itinerant workers, the slowly accelerating 'urban sprawl' etc up at the top end of the South Island though...

Pixie
20th November 2006, 22:38
...to top it off your living in one of the last bastions of the real new zealand.

That was largely settled by Australians.