PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor problems

SEAGULL
6th July 2004, 21:03
Had a problem with starting my 1986 FXSTC hog. When pushing the start button the s/motor just clicks, had to get AA to help push start. Any ideas whats causing the motor to clic? Is it the bushes or is the s/motor clapped out totally, are there any tests that can be done before spending megabucks on a new motor

MikeL
6th July 2004, 21:10
I assume you have ruled out a flat battery??

speedpro
6th July 2004, 21:49
It sounds more like a flat battery sort of problem. You push the starter button which pulls in a relay - "click" - the started motor draws mega current and the battery voltage drops and the relay drops out - "click" - so now the starter motor isn't connected and no current is being drawn so the voltage goes back up and the relay pulls in - "click" - and so on and so on.

pete376403
6th July 2004, 22:05
In line with the battery problem - the battery might be charged ok but have bad connections. Especially look at a poor earth connection - where the earth lead bolts to the frame needs to be shiny clean bare metal under the connector. If the engine is rubber mounted check for an earth lead between the frame and the engine block somewhere.

Jackrat
6th July 2004, 22:18
This is common as with HDs.
90% of the time it is a poor earth connection.
The other 10% will be the battery even if it seems ok.
Iv'e had the same thing and so have heaps of other HD owners I know.
You could also just get hard an put a kicker on it. <_<

Motu
6th July 2004, 22:42
Seagull??? maybe he's got rope to start it with?

maybe
7th July 2004, 21:15
My XJ did this it was the brushes in the starter motor.

Holy Roller
7th July 2004, 21:43
I had a problem with starting it turned out to be a loose terminal in the battery itself, another battery sorted the problem.

Paul in NZ
8th July 2004, 11:30
Do you have (or can you borrow) the use of a multimeter?

If you can and if you can sort of use one. Post here and we will go through a few basic checks.

If not. um... Well, it's just swap stuff and hope....

Cheers

A Toad 2
13th August 2004, 19:07
Had a problem with starting my 1986 FXSTC hog. When pushing the start button the s/motor just clicks, had to get AA to help push start. Any ideas whats causing the motor to clic? Is it the bushes or is the s/motor clapped out totally, are there any tests that can be done before spending megabucks on a new motor
click click click is indicative of not enough battery voltage and current available at the starter.could be flat or faulty battery, dirty cable connections(cables or connections will heat up while turning over and drawing too much load,if dirty)headlight will go very dim while cranking over if battery is flat or stuffed.cheers pete

scumdog
14th August 2004, 01:15
This is common as with HDs.
90% of the time it is a poor earth connection.
The other 10% will be the battery even if it seems ok.
Iv'e had the same thing and so have heaps of other HD owners I know.
You could also just get hard an put a kicker on it. <_<

Dead effing right, the only time I have had this problem it has been a poor battery connection, mainly the earth. :niceone: