PDA

View Full Version : TDM850 or DL650?

jeff
29th October 2006, 16:37
We are looking for another bike to add to the fleet!

We want a bike we can take up the roads that turn to gravel (as in sealed roads with an unsealed section) with two up and with a comfortable seat and comfortable pillion riding position.

Any suggestions for other bikes. We don't want a BMW.

If anyone round the Wellington area has a TDM that we can have a close-up look at would be appreciated.

Not sure whether a Transalp 650 would be suitable two up (we don't come in economy size!) just regular sized people.:scooter:

Any suggestions!

topher
29th October 2006, 18:18
We are looking for another bike to add to the fleet!

We want a bike we can take up the roads that turn to gravel (as in sealed roads with an unsealed section) with two up and with a comfortable seat and comfortable pillion riding position.

Any suggestions for other bikes. We don't want a BMW.
!

I'm happy as a pig in poos with my 96 Triumph Tiger. Had a 93 Tiger before that. It copes with gravel no worries, has an adjustable rear shock and doesn't mind two-up at all. I sold my last one at 104,000Km and it was still going strong. Current ones up to 109,000km and with it's service history from new I should get 60,000 - 80,000 km more from it. It's a bit hard on fuel - about 8.5 litres per 100km riding hard but still gets through 6.5 - 7 l/100km even when I nana along when I'm out with mother on her bike.

There's one on tardme at the moment in the Naki- I paid $6500 for mine - had a few more Kms on it though, but also had full Givi hard luggage, new disks and pads and new chain and sprockets. Bought it off 1st owner who had i serviced VERY regularly and kept all his receipts.

If the pics uploaded OK, the blue bike's the '93, pic taken on the Waikaremoana Road (was a wet day, fantastic ride, unforgetable scenery) and the Black bike's my current ride, pic taken at a rocky outcrop half way up 90 mile beach.

Edbear
29th October 2006, 18:32
If doing a lot of two-up, the "Tedium" 850 would be the better choice. Apparently the Ambo guys in Aus just loved them for their versatility and comfort. The new 900's are a bit more sporty but still good for what you're considering. The DL650 for solo would have to be about the best bike for NZ touring.

Ruralman
29th October 2006, 18:33
Hi there
I've only done 1 trip with a pillion on my Transalp. I'm about 100kg and my pillion would have been around 60kg (wasn't brave enough to ask!!)
I was really impressed with how the bike handled this - easily in a word.
The handbook suggests a load limit of 180kg I think and with our luggage the total load would have been a bit over this.
Depends on how you want to ride - a bigger engined bike would have more power for passing which becomes more obvious with higher speed &/or more weight. At cruising speeds between 100-120 this wasn't an issue for me.
The other factor of course is how long you plan to spend on dirty roads - if you will be mostly on sealed roads then the V Stroms would come into their own but the exposed front oil cooler is something I'd be wary of for extended back road use. The V Strom's are fuel injected as well which helps both horsepower and fuel economy - I don't know anyone with a TDM so can't comment on those.
At some point the transalp must be due for a major update as the current model has been around for over 5 yrs now - talking with other owners the things we'd want would be fuel injection, a 6 speed box, no increase in cc's, retention on the 21inch front wheel, and an adjustable front screen with much reduced turbulence. That recipe is a modernisation rather than wholesale changes because they are a bloody tremendous bike that doesn't need wholesale changes and most owner, myself included, like these machines more the longer we have them.

Macktheknife
29th October 2006, 19:07
My money on the Vstrom, great bikes, after market cover for the oil cooler and off you go. My personal preferance is for the 1000 but the 650 is great too, if a little under powered with 2up + gear.
The new models come out with the oil cover standard now, and a couple of other bits of good kit.

Ruralman
29th October 2006, 19:16
My money on the Vstrom, great bikes, after market cover for the oil cooler and off you go. My personal preferance is for the 1000 but the 650 is great too, if a little under powered with 2up + gear.
The new models come out with the oil cover standard now, and a couple of other bits of good kit.

Yeah those Suzi V twins are great engines - I'm not convinced the 90 degree set up is perfect if you want to do serious backroad stuff with the occasional large rock in a river crossing etc, but really this probably only affects a very small % of owners.
I look forwrad to having a look at the new Kawasaki versys (sp?) which is meant to be an adventure bike using the new 650 parellel twin engine which all the magazine testers seem to rave about.
I guess this all goes to highlight how much Honda need to get on and release a new updated Transalp

warewolf
29th October 2006, 19:41
Some info in this thread: Anyone here with a TDM? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36037)

scracha
29th October 2006, 20:04
TDM hands down. Superb bikes. There's a handful of "facelift" models in this country too.

thehollowmen
29th October 2006, 21:13
two up, especially if you're looking for a bit of "thrill" , look at another bike than the DL650.

I have fun on mine, but two up it slows down to more of a cruiser.

Have a good look at the tiger, or that TDM... But really, go for long test rides, two up.

jeff
31st October 2006, 20:21
Anyone got any idea how many TDMs are round the country, or are they like rocking horse sh..t! Are the parts interchangeable with another Yamaha model?

Is there a difference between years in the 850 model?:scooter:

Jantar
31st October 2006, 20:37
Have a look at comments on http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/ . The DL650 is probably the best all round bike available, but for 2 up riding you probably want something a tad bigger. The DL1000 perhaps?

warewolf
31st October 2006, 21:09
Are the parts interchangeable with another Yamaha model?

Is there a difference between years in the 850 model?:scooter:Most of the anciliaries were taken from other bikes. The TRX850 had essentially the same motor. It grew out of the Super Tenere, which was 750cc.

Early 850s were 180 or 360 deg cranks and 18L fuel tank. Later ones were 270 deg like the TRX850 and had a bigger tank. Can't remember if the 850s went EFI or if that only happened with the 900. IIRC there was a big revision of the 850.

Oscar
1st November 2006, 14:03
I really liked my TDM850, which I replaced with a V Strom 1000.
As the Strom is several generations ahead of the TDM, it's really a no-brainer (apart from price I suppose).

Then, if it comes down to a choice between the DL1000 or 650, and bearing in mind the have they same frame, if yer going two up - buy the big Strom.

jeff
3rd November 2006, 19:00
Question for someone who owns a TDM!

Is the TDM the same size as a Triumph Tiger or smaller? We still haven't come across a TDM to have a look at.:scooter:

Oscar
3rd November 2006, 19:17
Question for someone who owns a TDM!

Is the TDM the same size as a Triumph Tiger or smaller? We still haven't come across a TDM to have a look at.:scooter:

About the same, the TDM maybes a bit shorter...

scracha
4th November 2006, 00:38
Anyone got any idea how many TDMs are round the country, or are they like rocking horse sh..t! Are the parts interchangeable with another Yamaha model?

Is there a difference between years in the 850 model?:scooter:

Not many. Not even that many in the UK. They were only imported here and in the USA for a limited amount of years. Very very popular in Continental Europe. The French really seem to dig them. Main problem was that Yamaha priced them at almost FZR/ThunderAce/R1 prices but they only make about 80 ponies at the rear wheel (torqey tho').

Your local Yammy dealer should be able to get parts (consumables and things like calipers are the same as many other yams) no problems.

Engines last forever unless stupid people don't read the manual and adjust the oil level when the engine is cold (not a good idea as they're dry sump engines). Grunty and can rev with the 5 valve FZR style head. Get almost 60mpg (dunno what the hell that is in Km/l). Running costs were cheaper than my GPX600 and servicing is low. Cruises all day at 145Km/h and max out at 225km/h. Most comfortable bike I've ridden. Most comfortable pillion according to missus. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I IMPORT MINE :angry: .

Certainly much nicer on the gravel than any sportsbike but not up to serious mud plugging. Crazy people fit them with spoked wheels/dual sports tyres and go mud-plugging or cross deserts.

Mk1 model up to 1996. 180 deg crank I think. $hit 5 speed gearbox.
Mk2 model up to 2001(i think). 360 deg crack. Detuned TRX motor. Much better lights. More slipper bodywork with better wind protection. Slightly less $hit 5 speed transmition
Mk3 model. 900cc engine. Fuel injection. Aluminium frame. Lighter. R1 brakes. Good 6 speed trans.
Mk4 model. Rumour is Yamaha are bringing out a 1 litre version.

Try www.carpe-tdm.net

diggydog
4th November 2006, 04:16
nice looking bike that truimph tiger and very universal in the way on road ,off road.:yes:

Pixie
4th November 2006, 09:05
Kawasaki Versys
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/versys/
Simpler motor than a V-twin
Better suspension than a DL
17" front wheel bigger choice of tyres.
No can on either side-fit luggage easier