PDA

View Full Version : joined AA

Redstar
16th May 2003, 22:40
:gob:
Yep finally did it too much wine and I signed up for AA to protect myself and my family from the possibility of a breakdown.
now I know what your thinking give it up. dont do it? control yourself? but fot $89 it seemed the right thing to do and they are such a nice bunch of people. they have a web site where you can share your problems. and get a map to lead you on the straight and narrow. they can assist you. with Financial problems and you get rewards for your efforts and thats good. It leads you to the place you need to go safely and they are an institution a kiwi institution, a brotherhood they have a web site and it has links to like everything you need to know.
So me I searched there site the AA and I used the word Motorcycle being that they the AA would give me the answer and the reply was..... no matches... is that true I thunk(past tence of thought) surely they will help me in my hour of need? surely the AA is a place where they will help me?
well I searched their membership form and their site and its like we don't exist. its the domain of the tin boxers.
no the Automobile Association is different from Alcoholics anonimous where I get tea and biscuits and and a free breakdown service:beer:

Slim
17th May 2003, 07:33
They do service motorcycles - I've been a member for 7 years or something silly like that & I've called them out a few times for the bike, without any problems.

I got my moneys worth out of them a couple of years ago when my bike broke down at the Wanganui Boxing Day racing: free hire car for 3 days so I could visit family in Masterton, while the local (and fantastic, btw) Honda shop could sort out the bike. :)

What?
17th May 2003, 09:45
I've been in the AA for over twenty years now. Have had a few calls, including one for a flat on a bike. No worries at all. And as it was a sunday, I would have been up crappers creek were I not a member, as nothing was open for many a mile.

I considered changing to State roadside assist, but they don't offer any services other than breakdown help. AA can help with all manner of things, which ,when the chips are down, is worth every cent of the membership fees.:niceone:

Redstar
19th May 2003, 19:28
well thats a relife!almost worth a breakdown to test the theory?
how do they give you a tow though if you only have basic cover not AA PLUS?:niceone:

Slim
19th May 2003, 22:50
That's a good question, Redstar, which I can't answer because I'm an AA Plus member.

I imagine they'd have to call out someone with a van, since their contract provides for transport to the closest service centre. Dunno.

ps. AA Plus is great when you've decided that the reserve on your newly acquired bike will get you all the way down the Southern Motorway to Bombay for a fill-up ...... but runs out on the Drury straights. :o

babyB
19th May 2003, 23:01
i been with AA 18 yrs and they been great..your right slim...Plus membership is worth the price when u concider what the normal chage is 4 towtruck. ( i had 4 call outs in one year):o

redstar...on AA standard , they sitll look after u so dont worry

Slim
21st May 2003, 15:46
Dear Mr Roadstar

I called the AA today & asked them what would happen if a Standard AA member had their motorcycle break down & it required a tow, given that towing motorcycles is a tricky business.

He assured me that where a tow applied, they would find a way, because AA Members were just as important as other members.

:)

But he did point out that AA Plus membership (which you've just payed for??) is definitely the better deal. :)

Goddess of Goof
4th June 2003, 02:47

About the AA and "towing" bikes, well they don't tow. You tell them it's for a bike, and they will send a vehicle that can put a bike up on the back. They'll winch the bike out of the ditch, and have it up on the deck before you can say "I lost the front end in the loose gravel".  

They put you in the front cab, where the towie will appall you with gruesome tales 

of Saturday nights on Auckland's roads - all the way home.

If you ask me how I know this, I will tell you that it happened to a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless.

denill
4th June 2003, 08:30
Yeah, I joined the AA when I considered the consequences of a breakdown or puncture while touring on our own, ie one bike. More than one is good insurance.

Yes, it was my understanding that they would truck or trailer the bike to the nearest repair facility. [Don`t forget that they can`t tow autos]

Worth noting; Use the AA card at BP and you get AA points that can be credited to your AA subs.

Aussie`s RACQ offer reciprocal benefits.

That is comforting as the bike is [hopefully] sitting in Brisbane now so that next month we will be riding to Cairns in glorious sub-tropical temperatures ? - the long way and then ride back to Brizzie the short way.

Getting the bike there is a bit of a `minefield` but fingers crossed it should be OK.

Any one contemplating that venture is invited to contact me. My mistakes and founderings may be of assitance to avoid the same. 

:rockon: