PDA

View Full Version : MotoGp at Phillip Island

Marknz
7th July 2004, 11:08
Folks,

Saw a reference to Phillip Island in another posting this morning and it reminded me that any of us going to the island for the MotoGp this year should arrange to meet up somewhere either at the track or in Cowes for a couple of quiet ones.

I'll fly in on Thursday morning and depart Tuesday morning, so who else is in?

jimbo600
7th July 2004, 21:01
Folks,

Saw a reference to Phillip Island in another posting this morning and it reminded me that any of us going to the island for the MotoGp this year should arrange to meet up somewhere either at the track or in Cowes for a couple of quiet ones.

Cool, you shouting?

Marknz
7th July 2004, 21:05
Yea, I'll shout a round. You'll just have to get Mrs Jimbo to get a 2nd job to pay for your flights :whistle:

DEATH_INC.
7th July 2004, 21:17
Been last 2 years but can't go this year :crybaby:

LB
8th July 2004, 05:30
Sounds like you might be on exactly the same flights as us, and also 4skins and another mate.

Definitely keen to meet up over there (if not on the plane!)

Will keep in touch with you.

White trash
8th July 2004, 08:02
I can't go.

Spent my travell money on a set of 18's for the car. What a dickhead :Oops:

jimbo600
8th July 2004, 12:21
Yea, I'll shout a round. You'll just have to get Mrs Jimbo to get a 2nd job to pay for your flights :whistle:

I meant are you shouting the air fare!!

Marknz
8th July 2004, 14:47
I meant are you shouting the air fare!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... No!

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 15:49
Have fun, Cowes used to be a real hoot several years ago. They’d block off the streets & people would be milling around, loons naked pulling wheelies up the street on XR100s. Bands, people (again naked, odd Aussies :shake: ) climbing the taaall lamposts while people hiffed beercans at them –until the greased them the following years which was a mite funny.

All that racing should get you all inspired to come back & build a demon bucket huh? :yeah:

Marknz
8th July 2004, 15:53
Have fun, Cowes used to be a real hoot several years ago. They’d block off the streets & people would be milling around, loons naked pulling wheelies up the street on XR100s. Bands, people (again naked, odd Aussies :shake: ) climbing the taaall lamposts while people hiffed beercans at them –until the greased them the following years which was a mite funny.

All that racing should get you all inspired to come back & build a demon bucket huh? :yeah:

Yea, I've only had the pleasure of seeing Cowes on GP weekend in 2001 & '03. Still a bloody great place to be and to suck up the atmosphere even if there are too many cops and horses around.

My demon bucket is on the way to NZ. Just won't be able to race it here as it's overpowered, unless i under gear it for the "tracks". Will save it for the tail end of clubmans with the Vic club and ride/trackdays at manfield

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 16:10
Just turn up. In wgtn we are super informal. As long as the organisers don’t think you are ripping the field to shreds then they don’t really care or will just not score you in points events. Put it this way you wouldn’t have the only bike slightly over the 140 limit. The odd GL145 has been pressed into service.

Next event is just around a carpark (old general motors) in Upper Hutt on the 25th, bring your leathers & we’ll find a bike to have a go on if yours hasn't arrived yet.

Marknz
8th July 2004, 16:34
Just turn up. In wgtn we are super informal. As long as the organisers don’t think you are ripping the field to shreds then they don’t really care or will just not score you in points events. Put it this way you wouldn’t have the only bike slightly over the 140 limit. The odd GL145 has been pressed into service.

Next event is just around a carpark (old general motors) in Upper Hutt on the 25th, bring your leathers & we’ll find a bike to have a go on if yours hasn't arrived yet.

I did a few laps on a borrowed bike at the GM carpark a few months back. I spent all day flagging for you all and then someone was good enough to offer me a ride. You're all nuts racing on those "tracks", but then I guess you're used to it and it's not a problem. Me, I like to have a sandpit to go play in when I get tired of the nitty gritty :rolleyes:

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 16:58
Yeah I’m not too keen on GM for sure. Tawa is better (good surface) but the Go-kart tracks are perfect. Can’t wait to get back on.

Oh if you have your own sandpit I'll bring the dirtbike.

Marknz
8th July 2004, 17:05
Yeah I’m not too keen on GM for sure. Tawa is better (good surface) but the Go-kart tracks are perfect. Can’t wait to get back on.

Oh if you have your own sandpit I'll bring the dirtbike.

Now that's something I've never had a go at... dirtbike riding. Is there a group in Wgtn that goes out regularly and would be able to show an old prick the tricks of the trade? What would be the best learners bike for off-road?

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 17:11
Well we just go to the organised trail rides (ie: there’s one next week in Otaki) check Silver bullet website. Anything 200-250 XR/DRish would be a good choice, although being a stroker fiend a KDX is hard to pass up. If you get something I'd be pleased to show you around the Mungatuks (none of us are flash riders).

Eddieb
8th July 2004, 17:16
bring your leathers & we’ll find a bike to have a go on if yours hasn't arrived yet.

Yea Dave had a Demon machine spare in his van last time.

Dave, I've scored Richards old GS125 so pending getting my license sorted will be there for a bash. Also looking to add a trial bike to the stable later in the year so keen for a bit of off road in summer.

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 17:19
on ya. :spudbooge

Marknz
8th July 2004, 17:20
Thanks for the offer. I won't be looking for another bike till later in the year, but will definitely keep the idea in mind. I'll have to have a road bike regardless, but a trailly would be a good addition to the garage. Next I'll have to start learning how to do my own work on the damn things :brick:

Ms Piggy
8th July 2004, 17:45
Can someone fit me in their luggage? ;) Pleeeeeease.

Marknz
8th July 2004, 17:56
Can someone fit me in their luggage? ;) Pleeeeeease.

Yea, come on then...

dangerous
8th July 2004, 19:37
Folks,

any of us going to the island for the MotoGp this year should arrange to meet up somewhere either at the track or in Cowes for a couple of quiet ones.

Ohhh yeahhhhh............ I'm a going, but are still un sure of the arangments as my mate in Brissie is being a bit slack at the organising.

Well I'm one up on you lot that are just flying there cos I'm riding there....beat that :bleh:
Plan 'A' is to hire a bike in Brisbane and ride down for the w/e then ride back (10 day trip @ 4500km) Plan 'B' is to fly into Melbourne take position of a Cagiva (cos the owner neads to be back in Brissie for work) and ride up to Brisbane, after a couple of days at the GP.
Both plans are involving staying at Cowes and riding with a small group.

And yep it would be good to catch up for a :apint: with those KBers that are also going...... ohhh cant wait :rolleyes:

Skunk
9th July 2004, 21:24
We fly out Thurs morning (AirNZ) and back on Tues (AirNZ).
Keen to meet up at the track or in Cowes (or Wgtn Airport - look for the Kawasaki jackets and intro yourselves).

Pickle
11th July 2004, 19:10
We will be there yet again, fly into Brisbane 2 weeks earlier and driving down.
Fly out Monday afternoon, already organised somewhere to stay, camping trackside.

Catching up with a few Kiwis would be good as we are spending time with some Aussie mates so having a beer with people who talk Kiwi will be nice.

There is always a band area in Cowes down near the wharf so that could be a good place. Remember dont drink on the streets as there is alchol bans in place & you will get a $100 fine & that's a lot of drinking money.
Will talk to Linda & kiwizrx closer to the time. :beer: :drinknsin

LB
12th July 2004, 05:54
Sounds like there's a few of us on the same flights, and that Cowes will be 50% kiwis!!

Pickle
14th July 2004, 20:54
Have been in contact with Aussie mates who we are going to the Moto GP with, will be in Cowes Friday nite. If anything like last year will end up at the band area either before or after dinner would be good to see some kiwis there on Friday nite :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Pickle
19th August 2004, 21:01
Just a reminder that it is only 8 weeks to go for the Aussie Moto GP

Lynda your job is to organise everyone to meet up for a beer or two

LB
20th August 2004, 05:59
Just a reminder that it is only 8 weeks to go for the Aussie Moto GP

Lynda your job is to organise everyone to meet up for a beer or two
Bloody hell, what do you think I am - a bloody Executive Assistant or something?

Alright then, I'll get it sorted. :soon:

Pickle
20th August 2004, 15:33
OK Lynda we will just look out for you instead shouldnt be hard to find, just look for the shop with the most Ducati gear.

hondav2
20th August 2004, 21:53
50 sleeps to Malaysian MotoGP 57 till Aust Moto GP Cheers Toddy

svs
23rd August 2004, 11:41
OK folks,

IF I was going to go to the gp at Phillip Island -

Where to stay? Preferably not campsite (why? see later..)
Is it worth getting grandstand passes over general admission? If so - what area?
Are there any package deals from Wellington?

Me and the missus haven't been on a honeymoon yet (married back in feb) and a nice romanic trip to the GP might be just the thing.

F5 Dave
23rd August 2004, 12:25
Might be lucky to get flights at decent coin, but you never know these days.

First few times I went I never got grandstand seats, but raceday the fences are packed & it is hard to get a decent view. Get a grandstand for the extra few dollars, even if you only use it on raceday. Take a tarp in case it rains or the wind gets a bit bitter off the strait.

Lukey Heights is always popular, but I reckon Siberia is better + you can see the huge monitor.

Try Dave at http://getrouted.com.au/ he might still have some space. Tell him I said he is a homo.
Though most of his stuff is fairly communal living for cheapskate bikers (he hires holiday houses), so you might want to ask what digs he has arranged.

Pickle
23rd August 2004, 18:16
The wife & I have been going to Phillip Island now for at least 6 years and have never bought grandstand seats, If it is your first time to the GP then go the general admission so you can walk around the track & pick the area that suits you best. There are now huge monitors all around the track so you can view the racing from all round.
As far as accomadation is concerned Cowes is the main town on Phillip Island and most of the accomadation will now be booked out. e-mail kiwi ZRX as he has contacted a real estate agent on the island and he may be able to help you. Otherwise there is always the bus from Melbourne each day approx 140kms each way.
Be prepared for all weather as the Island backs on to Bass strait and can get very cold & wet, can also be very hot and nice.
web site to check www.grandprix.com.au
e-mail gpto@grandprix.com.au

The latest Australian Motor Cycle News has an article on the Grand prix

Hope all this helps