PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug lead has come apart

bert_is_evil
31st October 2006, 09:27
I've just been getting the 250 ready for track day this weekend (when I say getting ready, I mean trying to get started). I took the spark plugs out to change them and one of the leads came adrift from where it joins into the thing that actually plugs on to the spark plug. How firmly should it be joined on? I can push the two parts back together and pull the rubber cover back over and it stays together but a slight tug and it comes apart again, should it be like that? If not can I fix it myself or will I have to replace the whole lead?

onearmedbandit
31st October 2006, 09:32
From memory it should screw on. IE turn the spark plug cap onto the ht lead.

bert_is_evil
31st October 2006, 09:37
hmm, I wondered about that - gave it a try but couldn't get it to screw on. I will try again, failing that will bring it to the track and see if I can find someone who is big and tough to help me out :innocent: .

Ixion
31st October 2006, 10:40
There should be a pointy screw thingy sticking up in the middle of the hole that you stick the wire into. Which screws into the wire. But, I have on numerous occasions found that the screwy thingy has broken off. And remains screwed into the lead. Which is what i suspect has happened with yours. In which case you need a new cap.

bert_is_evil
31st October 2006, 11:03
I do remember seeing the screw thingee, but couldn't screw it in - maybe the inside of the lead is stripped on the end, should I trim it back a bit and then screw it in or would that be a bad idea?

MSTRS
31st October 2006, 11:07
I do remember seeing the screw thingee, but couldn't screw it in - maybe the inside of the lead is stripped on the end, should I trim it back a bit and then screw it in or would that be a bad idea?

If the screw-thingy is still inside the plugcap, then yes - it should be fine to cut 5-10mm off the end of the lead and screw the cap back on.
Warning - do not cut too much off or lead won't reach:bye:

bert_is_evil
31st October 2006, 15:29
Cool, thanks, will give it a conservative trim and try to screw it back on.

bert_is_evil
1st November 2006, 07:50
ok, trimmed back the lead and screwed the plug back on and it's all go - thanks for the help guys :cool: