PDA

View Full Version : First Time on a Track Day

McJim
31st October 2006, 10:39
There's certainly a load of info about the track days to digest. This sunday (5th Nov) will be my first and I must admit I'm a bit aprehensive about the whole thing - I intend to use it as an opportunity to learn how to control my bike better (not just an excuse to twist the crap out of the throttle!).

I'd be keen to hear from other KBers about their first track experience so I can get an idea of what to expect - it's a bit unknown and therefore daunting - maybe I'm soft but I've always liked to go into things with both eyes open.

I definately intend on being in the Slowest Group on the day!

Maverick
31st October 2006, 10:50
maybe I'm soft .....

Im not sure if soft is the term, well padded maybe?.. :dodge:

MattRSK
31st October 2006, 10:55
Hey McJim.

I had my first track day a couple of weeks ago. I can honestly say its the best thing I have ever done. It helped me to have people there who supported me. I was quite aprehensive about the whole idea, but they kicked my butt and told me to get out there.

Just take it easy, if you think you going to be slow. Just let people get ahead of you. Try not to do anything crazy. But most of all have fun. I improved heaps throughout the whole day. I have never grinned so much in my life.

Rock on.

- Matt :Punk:

McJim
31st October 2006, 10:55
Im not sure if soft is the term, well padded maybe?.. :dodge:

As I've said before - if you have nothing nice to say...........post it on KB!:rofl:anyway - it's all muscle, not fat.:whistle:

Maverick
31st October 2006, 10:58
rofl:anyway - it's all muscle, not fat.:whistle:

Really? I've never seen muscle jiggle like that before... must be the strong V Twin Vibrations. :Punk:

MSTRS
31st October 2006, 11:02
McJim - fear not the TattyBogle for tis nothing mare than a cheeky wee besom. Oor Wullie wlill be fine. See you there.

McJim
31st October 2006, 11:04
Thanks Matt - both of you! :)

Str8 Jacket
31st October 2006, 11:04
I had my first track day at Manfeild about this time last year. It was awesome! I was sooo nervous I almost didnt register! But once I got out there I took it quite slow to start with as I found that there was alot to take in, especially other bikes flying past... By the 2nd or 3rd time I went out I had started scraping my pegs and my boots and I was so full of adrenaline, it was such a rush. By the time I got out for my last run around the track I noticed how much later I was braking into corners and it was then that I managed to find out the top speed of the KR. Since Ive been on the track my confidence improved immensly. Just get out there, have a blast and enjoy every moment of it. You WILL want to get back on a track after your first turn, I promise!! :D

McJim
31st October 2006, 11:26
Thanks for the encouragement folks. Hopefully some other first timers will see this and take encouragement too.

My main concern is having someone ride into my back wheel (no mirrors!) s'gonna be weird.

Keystone19
31st October 2006, 11:28
My first time on the track I'd had my license all of 6 weeks and Frosty offered me a spin on his SV650 - well a few things have happened since then and I blame him for all of it!

That aside, some good advice I was given and still follow:

1) Hold your line. You may not know you are about to be overtaken so don't do any sudden line changes or movements. The biker behind you wants you to be predictable.

2) Don't freak out when someone does go past you. You won't have your mirrors on and it will surprise you. It will continue to surprise you for a long time to come but don't let it put you off or change your line.

3) When entering the track wait until there is a clear space for you to pull out.

4) When leaving the track signal that you are doing so by raising your arm or waving your leg well before you get to the exit point. At Taupo short track you will want to take the last corner before the exit wide and to the right and indicate that you will be exiting well before the last corner.

5) If you are slowing down for some reason other than leaving the track, e.g. bike problems, signal in the same manner as above and move to the outside of the track.

6) If you fall off (heaven forbid but it can happen), stand up and move away from the track if possible - indicate that you are ok to the marshalls if you are ok. Do not attempt to cross the track until the session has ended and it is safe to do so - wait for a marshall if in doubt.

There are probably a few other things and others will add them.

Main thing is to:

HAVE FUN!

Str8 Jacket
31st October 2006, 11:28
My main concern is having someone ride into my back wheel (no mirrors!) s'gonna be weird.

Yeah, that was my main concern too! But I quickly learnt that all you have to worry about is yourself. Just look straight ahead and concentrate on what YOUR doing, everyone else will just go around you. Or flying off the track in front of you. Your gonna have a blast.... Im jealous!

Kinje
31st October 2006, 11:29
I had my first track day at Manfield and loved it. I too was pretty aprehensive, and the rain riding up made it worse. By the time I got there the track was drying up, and after a briefing and familiarisation session I was feeling pretty good.

I stayed in the slow group and learnt heaps through the course of the day. Makes ya feel pretty good braking late into a corner, blasting through and out quicker than some of the bigger bikes (but then they powered away down the straight! Let them pass)

What a buzz, I got really tired out after each session, but so much fun.

Enjoy it McJim :sunny:

MikeyG
31st October 2006, 11:32
Did my first track day last sat at Taupo, now I want to move there to be close to the track.

Being my first track day and riding a GN I was probably the slowest guy out there and was a bit worried beforehand, especially seeing 600 and 1000cc bikes in the slow group. Once on the track I just focussed on my riding and didn't think at all about the other bikes.

There were a couple of times when I felt like I was going into a corner a bit fast so stood the bike up and hit the brakes, this didn't seem to cause any problems.

Tips I would make are:
For the first session let everone in your group go out before you then for the first lap or two you know there is noone trying to pass you while you are learning the track

Don't think about the corner you've just been through too much, there is another corner coming up.

Loose Bruce has offered to help out with showing people lines etc. Fire him a PM and you can set up to do some laps with him leading to show you lines and following to look at how you are riding.

Strart stretching your cheek muscles now, on sunday they'll be sore from having a mile wide grin all day

SlowHand
31st October 2006, 12:06
My first time on the track I'd had my license all of 6 weeks

Pah, I was 4 weeks :p

Strart stretching your cheek muscles now, on sunday they'll be sore from having a mile wide grin all day

Gawd i hope you mean start, not strat, and cheeks on the face!

I'm hardly the expert, but from my mistakes and others I can say:

1. Don't go gung-ho on first lap, let them round things warm up.

2. Don't pass while in a corner unless you're sure where the rider in front is going to go.. :bye:

kiwifruit
31st October 2006, 12:26
You will love it McJim
All your anxiety will disappear when you get out there :yes:
Have fun! :sunny:

R6_kid
31st October 2006, 12:43
you'll love it scotty!

just go do your thing, you can always ask the 'faster' people to watch you for some free advice if you feel that your not learning enough yourself.

Leong
31st October 2006, 13:03
I did my first trackday in January this year with the Honda Riders Club. Have done another four since and am booked to do another four before the end of the year!! Um.... and I've done a couple of open days at Puke too.

Don't worry about it..... take the advice given by Jill above like everyone else has said, you'll enjoy it.

If you are wanting to improve your riding more, I have found the Honda Riders Club "Rider Development Days" to be very helpful. The help I got from Hayden Fitzgerald and Aaron Slight last time was invaluable. There is one of these on 28 November that I have registered for.... PM me if you're interested.

I wrote an essay about my first trackday (more a trip report)here.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23725

sugilite
31st October 2006, 14:11
You will have heaps of fun! Your nerves will be gone by 2nd gear replaced by excitement and adrenaline :Punk:

I'll add one thing to the list and from my point of view as a racer (not that there should be any racers in your group), it's a biggie. It's never look behind you. If a faster rider sees you looking at them, they think uh oh, what are they going to do now? As mentioned just look ahead and stick to your lines.
Don't forget to bring a crow bar, so you can "attempt" to get that grin off your face! :yes:

boomer
31st October 2006, 15:03
Nice post Jill, i'll add

find someone in your group who's able and knows the track ( or been on one before ) and follow them around, they can show you the lines and right speed for you.

like Jill said, once you've found the lines, try and stick to 'em, no irrate movements ( like the dick head on the blade at puke this weekend, .. i spent 2 laps sat behind him cos he was all over the bastard shop )

Ride at your own pace and don't worry what others think or say .. DO YOUR thing !

Ride at your own pace and ONLY look ahead.. thats where ALL your concentration should be ( unless your comin off the track ) ; if you hear someone behind you.. ignore it.. focus ahead; it's upto THEM to pass YOU SAFELY

If you get tired, come in for a rest, don't push it

HAVE FUN... thats a GIVEN !

:)

McJim
31st October 2006, 15:11
Good sage advice from you all - thanks - might bring the missus' RG150 down too for her to pootle round the streets of Taupo while I babysit the kids (I'll not be on the track all day) was toying with the idea of taking her bike for a blat on the track too (coz it's faster) but then thought that would defeat the purpose of the exercise which is for ME to get the hang of MY bike and not to fart around changing bikes while still a noob.:scooter:

Squeak the Rat
31st October 2006, 15:14
If you spent as much time riding as you do posting you wouldn't be a noob :killingme

Re the RG150 - you might change your mind after a session or two so keep it as an option. And don't worry you wont be the only track day noob assuming i can get my bike back together before the weekend.....

Regards, Pot.

McJim
31st October 2006, 15:36
If you spent as much time riding as you do posting you wouldn't be a noob :killingme

Re the RG150 - you might change your mind after a session or two so keep it as an option. And don't worry you wont be the only track day noob assuming i can get my bike back together before the weekend.....

Regards, Pot.

I've managed to rack up about 8,000 kms in 6 months which is more than I was doing in the cage - only posting when I'm stuck in one place.

All the best, Kettle.

Clivoris
31st October 2006, 17:18
I absolutely endorse what has gone before on this thread. Ride your own ride and treat it like the first hit of a long addiction. Save the Rossi impressions for the second track day and you will have fun for sure. See you there.

El Dopa
31st October 2006, 18:08
There's certainly a load of info about the track days to digest. This sunday (5th Nov) will be my first and I must admit I'm a bit aprehensive about the whole thing - I intend to use it as an opportunity to learn how to control my bike better (not just an excuse to twist the crap out of the throttle!).

I'd be keen to hear from other KBers about their first track experience so I can get an idea of what to expect - it's a bit unknown and therefore daunting - maybe I'm soft but I've always liked to go into things with both eyes open.

I definately intend on being in the Slowest Group on the day!

Apprehensive? you and me both. We can hang around at the back and keep each other company.

SuperDave
31st October 2006, 18:57
I didn't read everyone elses comments yet so I'm possibly gonna just repeat a lot of what has already been said.

Your first session will most probably be shit, well mine was but be assured it just gets better and better once you're in the zone of it all.

Don't worry about the other riders and stop thinking about keeping up or getting in anyones way. Once you get this right you'll find it a lot easier to get into the zone. Just ride the track as if it's only you out there. Work on your lines and don't over analyze stuff to the point that it puts you off.

Braking, entry speeds and acceleration out of corners are other things that the track provides a perfect place to work on. I started out thinking about each separately but after my 2nd Taupo trackday I've gained a better understanding of how they as well as many other aspects of riding are all interelated. But there's still so much to learn.

Another thing that worked wonders for me is working on my target fixation whilst negotiating a corner. I noticed a great improvement on my cornering between my first and second time at Taupo which I'm sure if most definately due to this.

yungatart
31st October 2006, 18:59
You'll be fine McJim, just relax and enjoy your ride... this from she who is far too chicken to even do the trackday...
Look forward to the t/d report

Croft
31st October 2006, 19:07
Some GREAT advise here, cheers!!! :yes:

:rockon: :rockon: WOOHOOOOOOOooo!!! Bring on Sunday!!! :rockon: :rockon:

duckaddict
31st October 2006, 19:36
See you there McJim!

This will be my third TD and am counting down the days. Like Leong said, you should consider the HRC Rider Development/Track Day, I learnt heaps from it.

Good luck and good fun!

FROSTY
31st October 2006, 21:48
mcjim---done worry dude Ill be kind to you.
best advice mate--RELAX --then go have a nervous piss
I do a riders breif before we start
There will be two sighting laps to sorta figure out which way the track goes.-sighting laps are at a VERY slow pace
Im going to ask each group to sort themselves into fastest out first slowest last
I make it really clear right from the get go that its not a RACE meeting

McJim
31st October 2006, 21:59
mcjim---done worry dude Ill be kind to you.
best advice mate--RELAX --then go have a nervous piss
I do a riders breif before we start
There will be two sighting laps to sorta figure out which way the track goes.-sighting laps are at a VERY slow pace
Im going to ask each group to sort themselves into fastest out first slowest last
I make it really clear right from the get go that its not a RACE meeting

Thanks Frosty.

gijoe1313
1st November 2006, 12:31
Ahhh - now it turns out I can pootle down to Taupo, even though I'm not entered can I still watch as an interested spectator?

Loads of bikers doing their thing on a track ... would be awesome just to watch!

Leong
1st November 2006, 18:47
Ahhh - now it turns out I can pootle down to Taupo, even though I'm not entered can I still watch as an interested spectator?

Of course you can!! Be good to catch up with yer fellow KBers, see lots of bikes, and watching the "riding" is pretty interesting too, especially when you know the people out there on the track!

McJim
6th November 2006, 11:48
Just in case any other 1st timers on a track re-visit this thread here's my thoughts:

Fan fookin tastic day!

People were very helpful and supportive and the track was a lot wider and grippier than I'd expected.

Went round Real Slow behind the van for a couple of laps and checked out the angles of corners and cambers etc.

Then went out in a session and took it fairly easy until I'd learnt what gear was best for what corner and where the braking points were. Mentor then told me I wasn't showing enough confidence in the corners - started focussing properly and surprised myself with how quickly I could catch up with some of the other riders in the Slow Group through the twisties. (even though they shot past me on the Back-Straight!).

I still maintain that I ride like a nana - just a slightly more confident and better educated one!

Until the next track day that the missus allows me to go on....

Mental Trousers
6th November 2006, 13:44
Didn't get to meet you unfortunately McJim. Maybe next time. Glad you enjoyed your 1st track day experience. They're tons of fun eh.