PDA

View Full Version : Tools for wheel removal (ZX7R)

-df-
1st November 2006, 11:47
Hi all.

I've got to take my front and rear wheels off this weekend (friend of mine is shadow chroming the wheels and also removing the purple from the rear seat... no more purple :rockon: ) from my 97 ZX7R. Does anyone know the size of the alan key for the front? Also anyone know of a cheap place to get the alan key from?

Any funny things with taking off the front/rear wheels and all the bolt ons (rotors etc)? Resonably mechanically inclined, but haven't work on a bike much (only cages).

Thanks,
-df-

Kflasher
1st November 2006, 11:52
I stiil have the original tool kit from my ZX7, I think the allen key is in. I will check tonight for you..

Gremlin
1st November 2006, 11:53
hmmmm haven't had to take my wheels off yet, nor do I know the size, but depending on size, it can be tricky to find the allen key. I eventually found one for my previous bike at mitre 10 (needed a 12 or 14), but it cost me $40...

If you know the size, check the metal work places for hex bar, that they can bend into an L for you, it would be much cheaper.

I can consult my haynes manual when I get home tonight, if you want...

edit: kflasher, depending on your tool kit... I know my tool kit's 2 allen keys sure as hell wouldn't work, much too small. I would guess the key to be around 17ish

The Stranger
1st November 2006, 11:53
Hi all.

I've got to take my front and rear wheels off this weekend (friend of mine is shadow chroming the wheels and also removing the purple from the rear seat... no more purple :rockon: ) from my 97 ZX7R. Does anyone know the size of the alan key for the front? Also anyone know of a cheap place to get the alan key from?

Any funny things with taking off the front/rear wheels and all the bolt ons (rotors etc)? Resonably mechanically inclined, but haven't work on a bike much (only cages).

Thanks,
-df-

Not at all familiar with the ZX7R, but on the Suzuki it has a 24mm hex socket. I have a short bolt with a couple of nuts loctited onto it. That way I put the bolt into the hex socket and use a regular socket to remove the axle.

The Stranger
1st November 2006, 11:58
hmmmm haven't had to take my wheels off yet, nor do I know the size, but depending on size, it can be tricky to find the allen key. I eventually found one for my previous bike at mitre 10 (needed a 12 or 14), but it cost me $40...

Waitemata Hydraulics have a good range (were out of 24mm last time). They have expensive (Stahlwille for Ixion, Koken etc) and cheap stuff for me. The 17mm was only about $18.00.

-df-
1st November 2006, 12:05
I stiil have the original tool kit from my ZX7, I think the allen key is in. I will check tonight for you..

Let me know if you do have it, and if you are willing to sell the tool kit I'd be keen to take it off your hands (would be nice to have the original stuff the bike came with).

The alan key would have to be a 20 something + I'd say, its HUGE!! :gob:

Started taking the back off (why on earth do they have alan key for the front but normal for the rear?!?!?), checked out the front and went oh sh!t...so had to put every thing back on again.

-df-
1st November 2006, 12:10
Waitemata Hydraulics have a good range (were out of 24mm last time). They have expensive (Stahlwille for Ixion, Koken etc) and cheap stuff for me. The 17mm was only about $18.00.

Might have to check them out, where abouts are they? I'm in Glendene so guessing it wont be to much of a mission to get there.

Gremlin
1st November 2006, 12:14
http://www.ubd.co.nz/company-profiles/206719234/default.aspx

Have a look on the left hand side of the front wheel (as you sit on the bike), thats the key that would be undoing your front wheel... well, in my limited knowledge it would be :mellow:

The Stranger
1st November 2006, 12:32
Might have to check them out, where abouts are they? I'm in Glendene so guessing it wont be to much of a mission to get there.

They are by the big Testing station in Henderson, near the old council building, bit of a useless description but sorry I don't know the address.

They carry a good range of shit, heaps of bolts and fasteners etc. I am on my way over there now to get new wheel bearing and seals for the front of the GSXR. $14.00 a bearing (SKF) and $8.00 a seal, so may as well replace them whilst I have the wheel and rotors off.

-df-
1st November 2006, 13:43
http://www.ubd.co.nz/company-profiles/206719234/default.aspx

Have a look on the left hand side of the front wheel (as you sit on the bike), thats the key that would be undoing your front wheel... well, in my limited knowledge it would be :mellow:

Ahh, its the left hand one...that could save me some embarrisment as I was thinking it was the right :shit: I also would have gotten the wrong allen key (as both sides have allan key inserts I just guessed it was the larger one)!! Cheers for the heads up!!

They are by the big Testing station in Henderson, near the old council building, bit of a useless description but sorry I don't know the address.

Cheers, Gremlin had it. Got the rear wheel bearing done when I got the bike, and it was shot so prob should get the front done to.

Grumpy
1st November 2006, 14:02
Mine is 22". I guess they would be the same. Struck the same prob when I went to take mine off to get a new tyre fitted.

Gremlin
1st November 2006, 14:11
Mine is 22".
now that is a big mutha of an allen key :gob:

Kflasher
2nd November 2006, 06:15
Mine measured 22mm one end and 17mm the other, this allowed a standard socket to be used. I was made for me, simple milling job no great expence.

-df-
2nd November 2006, 06:52
Mine measured 22mm one end and 17mm the other, this allowed a standard socket to be used. I was made for me, simple milling job no great expence.

and you only need the 17mm one to take the wheel off?

Kflasher
2nd November 2006, 11:31
and you only need the 17mm one to take the wheel off?

You could hold the tool in a standard 17mm socket the other end to fit bike.
Check out file, measure bike to confirm sizing if you going to make one.