PDA

View Full Version : GRex RD1 helmet - where?

Wolf
1st November 2006, 11:54
Where do I find a GRex RD1 (http://www.grex.it/a/casco.asp?c=r&id=RD1500001&f=7&colore=6&tipo=0) helmet to try on for size and fit?

I have not found them at Road and Sport, Hamilton Motorcycles or Bikes 'n' Bits (aka Supacross) here in Hamilton.

I want to know if there is anywhere "local" (Waikato, Auckland, Tauranga, Rotorua, Te Awamutu areas) that stocks them so I can go and see if they are suitable and, perchance, buy one or at the very least cross them off my Christmas "Wish List".

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Kwaka14
1st November 2006, 11:57
You could try Kerry at Motohaus 8158384 and see if he has one in stock....

Wolf
1st November 2006, 12:23
Cheers, I've sent him an email (work is fairly OK with me reading kiwibiker but frowns on using the work phone for personal reasons, especially when it's a toll call...)

merv
1st November 2006, 13:18
We find our GRex helmets pretty good, just the ear pockets aren't big enough as I've commented on this site a few times, but as long as you really wiggle the helmet on and get your ears all straight they are great. Bought ours at Sawyers in Wellington but that's not much help to you.

clint640
1st November 2006, 13:22
Bike Torque in Rotorua were more than happy to get one of those in for me to try a while back, hit up your local retailer to do the same.

I found it to have no ear room, but others have 'em & like 'em.

Cheers
Clint

Wolf
2nd November 2006, 20:00
Stopped in at Boyd Honda while I was taking strayjuliet to "The Base" to get some stuff for the kids, and they had a Grex RD1 in large size which I tried on. It was a bit too big but the bloke there was quite happy to order a medium for me to try - he measured my cranium and it came out as medium sized.

Impressions of the helmet so far: it's a Hell of a lot lighter than my HJC. The ear space was fine on the large sized helmet - it remains to be seen how the medium fits. I'll aim for the full wander-around-for-10-minutes when it arrives and see if I get a head/ear ache etc. I hope it does fit me well - it's a trifle dearer than the HJCs they had in stock but more in line with my requirements.

Not only did they stock the Grex RD1, they have a fantastic range of Alpinestar, EVS and a couple of other brands of "pressure suit", so guess what else I'll be trying on for size this weekend.

Their range of apparel is better than Road and Sport's - shit-loads of on-road and off-road gear: Gaerne boots (and Oxtar and Fox as well), crap-loads of MX roost protectors, leather and textile jackets and leggings as well as a staggering range of MX pants and jerseys, fricking helmets galore - more brands and styles than you can shake a stick at - and I got dizzy at the array of gloves on offer.

I thought R&S had an impressive range (and they do have quite a bit) but Boyd has more.

I think that between Boyds and Road and Sport I should be able to find most of my gear.

Wolf
4th November 2006, 18:49
Well, the Grex RD1 arrived yesterday as they promised but unfortunately it wasn't until today that I could get to Boyd Honda and try it out.

It was a bit firm getting it on but once in place the ear cavities were quite sufficient to house my shell-likes and it fitted snuggly around my jaw, cheeks and cranium. Not too tight and no obvious pressure anywhere.

I was able to slip my glasses on without gouging furrows in my temples and my ears weren't jammed against the stems once they were in place so I told the bloke I'll take it. I have to pay it off before I can pick it up but that's no problem.

While I was there I tried out the medium and small sizes of the EVS Ballistic Jacket (I had borrowed the large off a friend) - the medium was slightly too big, the small was too small. The large sized Alpinestar "Bionic" armour fit me quite well, as did the medium-sized O'Neal Azonic.

I also had a look at the gloves, shin/knee protectors, boots, jackets and leggings.

I tried on a MOBIG jacket and a Spool jacket at Road and Sport and found the Spool rather tight around the upper arms (made for Pee-wee Herman, maybe?) but the MOBIG was OK.

robin_biggles
23rd June 2008, 18:03
Can anyone who's got one, throw it on the kitchen scales and tell me how much it weights. Amongst other things, Ive a broken disk in my neck & weight is a bit of a comfort issue on long runs.

I've been considering an open face, based on weight, but it gets a bit chilly in Melbourne & there's no substitute for a full face re: safety. I've had a few spills over the years.

Anyway I like the look of the GREX RD1 but would be interested to know exactly how much it weighs.

Edbear
23rd June 2008, 18:20
Can anyone who's got one, throw it on the kitchen scales and tell me how much it weights. Amongst other things, Ive a broken disk in my neck & weight is a bit of a comfort issue on long runs.

I've been considering an open face, based on weight, but it gets a bit chilly in Melbourne & there's no substitute for a full face re: safety. I've had a few spills over the years.

Anyway I like the look of the GREX RD1 but would be interested to know exactly how much it weighs.

Hope my email came through okay, but for the record, we have matching RD1's with Blueant Intercoms and I found them a lot lighter than the Zeus flip-front I had previously.

It's quieter, fits well and looks good! They're a Nolan.

Wolf
23rd June 2008, 19:33
In this forum at least, Edbear and I can agree :devil2:

My RD1 is a lot lighter than the HJC full-face I used to have. Only disadvantage I've found with it is that it's a trifle short front-to-back so my chin scrapes on the inside of the helmet - especially around the full moon...

Sorry, don't own kitchen scales so I can't give you an actual weight in grams.

Edbear
23rd June 2008, 20:13
In this forum at least, Edbear and I can agree :devil2:

My RD1 is a lot lighter than the HJC full-face I used to have. Only disadvantage I've found with it is that it's a trifle short front-to-back so my chin scrapes on the inside of the helmet - especially around the full moon...

Sorry, don't own kitchen scales so I can't give you an actual weight in grams.

Whew!!! :sweatdrop

The mic's for the intercom's do mean the chin is close and I can adjust the boom easily with my chin..

My scales show about 1200gms with the Blueant's installed, maybe 1300gms.

Wolf
23rd June 2008, 20:50
My scales show about 1200gms with the Blueant's installed, maybe 1300gms.
Now, that's what I mean by "evidence for"... :devil2: