PDA

View Full Version : KB Brains Trust

Maha
1st November 2006, 15:36
Thought i would try here first, see what bright arse ideas/solutions are made?
Problem: An odd noise coming form the front of my bike, a noise i would liken to, a stone in a hubcap (for those that remember hubcaps)....but not a loud, more of a ...wait for it....a 'Tinker'..:yes:
Now, tinker aint a blokes word i know, but if you heard this sound, you would agree.
My thoughts are, it coming from around the front wheel area, i havent check anything as yet, and probably should, i could also take it to the bike shop and get them to figure it out, thought i would try here first....:done:

cowboyz
1st November 2006, 15:44
my first thought would be wheel bearings. But if they are bad enough to tinker then you would think you would notice in the handling. Either that or brakes. Not alot else up there is there?

SPman
1st November 2006, 15:44
Brake pads or clips?

ManDownUnder
1st November 2006, 15:48
Lift the front wheel off the ground (mate leaning back on the bike while on side stand... or prop it up on centre stand).

Get big screwdriver and apply ear to handle...

Put sharp end on bearings... spin wheel and listen...

If the tinkel is there it'll be a lot louder (like a stethoscope being placed on it)... otherwise... it'll be faint.

Move sharp end anywhere you suspect it may be...

The Stranger
1st November 2006, 15:53
Problem: An odd noise coming form the front of my bike, a noise i would liken to, a stone in a hubcap (for those that remember hubcaps)....but not a loud, more of a ...wait for it....a 'Tinker'..:yes:

Just the normal sound of a Triumph engine isn't it?
Probably something caught on the rubber band.

Maha
1st November 2006, 15:55
Lift the front wheel off the ground (mate leaning back on the bike while on side stand... or prop it up on centre stand).

Get big screwdriver and apply ear to handle...

Put sharp end on bearings... spin wheel and listen...

If the tinkel is there it'll be a lot louder (like a stethoscope being placed on it)... otherwise... it'll be faint.

Move sharp end anywhere you suspect it may be...

Theres something i would have never thought to do, i knew there was a sensible bloke behind that RF... cheers MDU.

ManDownUnder
1st November 2006, 15:56
Theres something i would have never thought to do, i knew there was a sensible bloke behind that RF... cheers MDU.

Don't tell anyone - I have a bass ass rep to protect mofo (is that how you spell it?)

Maha
1st November 2006, 15:57
Just the normal sound of a Triumph engine isn't it?
Probably something caught on the rubber band.

I have upsized the rubber band.....so that should be fine, but worth a look...:yes:
Theres always one isnt there?.....:rolleyes:

Colapop
1st November 2006, 17:13
You'll find that RF riders are a sensible bunch - we all bought an RF! :yes:

Grahameeboy
1st November 2006, 17:17

and moved on to an SV......:rockon:

Colapop
1st November 2006, 17:20
No the ones that have moved are sellouts!

Grahameeboy
1st November 2006, 17:22
No the ones that have moved are sellouts!

Eh you.....had my RF for 7 years from new, suspension was sorted, KN and ignition advancer and it was sorted geezer but alas age and desire got better of me and a test ride on an 04 SV sucked me in.......

Grahameeboy
1st November 2006, 17:25
Sure it isn't your key fob vibrating in wind Ma Ha.......

Colapop
1st November 2006, 17:40
Eh you.....had my RF for 7 years from new, suspension was sorted, KN and ignition advancer and it was sorted geezer but alas age and desire got better of me and a test ride on an 04 SV sucked me in.......
...or off??

Maha
1st November 2006, 17:51

Yeah Yeah i know they are.....and some even owe me beer.......:yes: :Punk:

Grahameeboy
1st November 2006, 17:58
...or off??

RFOFF!!!!!!!!!:gob:

Grahameeboy
1st November 2006, 17:59
Yeah Yeah i know they are.....and some even owe me beer.......:yes: :Punk:

Well he had to save for his RF didn't he?

Colapop
1st November 2006, 19:21
Beer - I'll go you at least one better than that. I got some home distillation coming - 95 proof (twice condesed or summat) - farking rocket fuel! I can run my bike on it...

Maha
1st November 2006, 19:25
Beer - I'll go you at least one better than that. I got some home distillation coming - 95 proof (twice condesed or summat) - farking rocket fuel! I can run my bike on it...

It aint gonna fix my tinker is it?.......:lol:
Might make me forget about it for a while so, yeah ok.......:cool:

Colapop
1st November 2006, 19:27
Is it a tinker or a tinkle?

Maha
1st November 2006, 19:31
I have no idea what a tinkle is........:innocent:
But MDU had a great idea involving a screwdriver to find the 'tinker'....
Now wheres the Vodka?.......:yes:

Colapop
1st November 2006, 19:34
Replace the stone with a screwdriver?

diggydog
2nd November 2006, 21:07
you dont have anything on your keys, like other keys or clips, because i have one of clips which tinkers, could be but, then could be brakes or lose part.

merv
2nd November 2006, 21:15
So does the sound change with speed? What speed are you going when you hear the tinker or is it tinkle?

Now this might sound dumb but many a noise like that has been from crap inside a tyre - loose rubbery stuff even, but if it was that you'd only hear it as you push the bike along, any more speed and it goes away coz all the stuff is flung against the tyre.

KLOWN
2nd November 2006, 21:46
a stone caught in the tread of the front wheel can make an odd sound, check that there are no stones or a nails etc that might be caught in tyre.

Maha
3rd November 2006, 06:36
a stone caught in the tread of the front wheel can make an odd sound, check that there are no stones or a nails etc that might be caught in tyre.

My hearing direction is a little out of kilter, it was coming from the left hand side of the bike, took it tot the bike shop and they rode it at low speed and said where they thought it was coming from and what it was. It was the Chain, only heard on opposing throttle, had a tight spot, which is odd cos its was loose, so i learnt something yesterday....:yes:

aff-man
3rd November 2006, 08:56
My hearing direction is a little out of kilter, it was coming from the left hand side of the bike, took it tot the bike shop and they rode it at low speed and said where they thought it was coming from and what it was. It was the Chain, only heard on opposing throttle, had a tight spot, which is odd cos its was loose, so i learnt something yesterday....:yes:

If your chain is loose then the extra pressure on it when acclereating causes it to strench and hence causes tight spots. Which in turn wreck your sprockets. So it wasn't really the front end then:dodge: :dodge:

Fatjim
3rd November 2006, 10:33
simple answer, your ear plugs have fallen out.

Maha
3rd November 2006, 16:17
If your chain is loose then the extra pressure on it when acclereating causes it to strench and hence causes tight spots. Which in turn wreck your sprockets. So it wasn't really the front end then:dodge: :dodge:

Thanks for clearing that up Jonno, no it wasnt the front end it was the side end...:yes:

Bonez
4th November 2006, 06:32
While we are in a fault finding mood sometimes a loose exhaust flange is the reason for a "tink tink" noise, quite mechanical sounding, caused by exhaust gases bypassing the seal.

End of lesson.

Grahameeboy
4th November 2006, 07:06
While we are in a fault finding mood sometimes a loose exhaust flange is the reason for a "tink tink" noise, quite mechanical sounding, caused by exhaust gases bypassing the seal.

End of lesson.

I am still in favour of the keys.................is it just me?

moko
4th November 2006, 10:23
I am still in favour of the keys.................is it just me?

You`re 100% right.......it`s just you ;-)