PDA

View Full Version : King of Ruapuna 29th Oct

Tim 39
1st November 2006, 19:39
I thought there would've been heaps of race reports on here already but since I can't see one, I'l have to start my own (bear with me it's my first one)
Well Saturday turned out to be a primo day, got to track about 8am for a day of coaching of the streetstockers. generaly had quite a good day, took plenty of time off people's laptimes so thats gota be good!!!! Well done to Shaun and John Lowther for the great job they did! was a huge success
Sunday turned out an overcast sort of day. Practice proved interesting, I hadn't noticed the day before how used to going slow I had become, so I had to back into the idea of riding a fast bike.
The races turned out to be much better I had some good dices with others out there and felt happy with what I was doing (settled back into the 125)
Then it rained!!!! arghh hmm what to do? wets? slicks? rain, sun, rain. We didnt get any time to change wheels, but I still hadn't decided wether I wanted to anyway, I made the decision to run slicks but as luck has it, it rained just before the previous race finished so should have gone for wets!!!

meh thats enough from me, I hope other's post some more interesting reports!!!

Sketchy_Racer
1st November 2006, 20:01
Short and to the point. Nice stuff Tim!!

Were you On the 150 when giving the 150 guys 'lessons'?

I hope to catch up with ya one day when i get a 125.... Will hopefully be doing the Manfeild nats.

I read somewhere that you were going to be doing the Full Nats ?

-Glen

212-Motorsport
1st November 2006, 20:07
Way to go Young Timothy:rockon:

Tim 39
1st November 2006, 20:13
Short and to the point. Nice stuff Tim!!

Were you On the 150 when giving the 150 guys 'lessons'?

yeah was on a 150 on the trainin day(forgot how much the pegs hit on those things!!!)

Way to go Young Timothy:rockon:

yea thanks mate

Tim 39
1st November 2006, 20:16
oops forgot to answer this one.. yes will be doing full nationals, would be good to catch up!

Sketchy_Racer
1st November 2006, 20:22
haha. Oh yes the 150 peg syndrome.... All i can say is I'm SO glad im off the crappy 150s... Gah they were so fustrating.

It looks like i could be in with a shout at getting a very nice tidy TZ125..

I'm Really looking foward to it!

Tim 39
1st November 2006, 20:27
haha. Oh yes the 150 peg syndrome.... All i can say is I'm SO glad im off the crappy 150s... Gah they were so fustrating.

It looks like i could be in with a shout at getting a very nice tidy TZ125..

I'm Really looking foward to it!
yeah despite the peg syndrome the 150's are awesome i reckon, theyre fun cos it doesnt take much skill to ride them hard (bit harder to get a peg down on a 125!!!)

is the TZ that number 21 on here for sale? that ones mint! Gregor will be on a TZ for the nats too

Sketchy_Racer
1st November 2006, 21:00
Yeah 21 is the one Im keen on.

Its very tidy.

The TZ that gregors been riding ( Maarty Van Boomas) is So cool. It looks awesome!!

I'm really looking foward to getting into the whole mechanical side of the 125 as well.

Shaun
2nd November 2006, 05:02
It is a shame the TZ 125 is a pile if junk compared to the RS though

Sketchy_Racer
2nd November 2006, 08:36
What makes you say that Shaun?

personal experience?

The TZs are know to handle better, and be just as quick as the honda when set up correctly.

The engineering side of them is Far superior to the Honda as well.

The worst part about the yamaha, Is the cost of spare parts. Like the Crank Cases on the honda cost 500US Vs 1200US for the Yamaha. But the yamaha one are supposed to last where the Honda ones start damaging bearing surfaces after around 3-4 rebuilds.

( All my info comes from people from the states who have raced both bikes )

Do you know where a good honda is for sale??

gav
2nd November 2006, 19:29
You should buy K14's spare bike!
Oh hang on, I see..."good".....as you were.....:gob:

Ivan
6th November 2006, 16:51

personal experience?

The TZs are know to handle better, and be just as quick as the honda when set up correctly.

The worst part about the yamaha, Is the cost of spare parts. Like the Crank Cases on the honda cost 500US Vs 1200US for the Yamaha. But the yamaha one are supposed to last where the Honda ones start damaging bearing surfaces after around 3-4 rebuilds.

Why do you buy crankscases you replace the crank before its blows through the cases mate!
And the TZ is ok but the RS is far more superior

Sketchy_Racer
6th November 2006, 17:54
Because Ivan,

Each time you press a bearing In and out of the case, It will slowly warp out of spec.

Thats why.

I thought you were a bike mechanic??

Ivan
6th November 2006, 18:01
i am and you do it properly so you dontdamage cases and if i remember right we never pressed myne out it popped out

Sketchy_Racer
6th November 2006, 18:19
Your main bearings fell out?

Ohhh god Ivan.

I find it very VERY hard to believe that Main bearings should just 'fall' out.

You will probably find your cases have eccentricised (sp) bearing Races....

Not 1 in any of my rebuilds have had a critical bearing just fallen out.

And no matter how proper you do it, You will still damage the cases eventually.

Kickaha
6th November 2006, 19:25
Because Ivan,

Each time you press a bearing In and out of the case, It will slowly warp out of spec.

Thats why.

I thought you were a bike mechanic??

Do it properly and you dont have to press them in or out, thats what ovens are for

Sketchy_Racer
6th November 2006, 19:45
Oh,

I tried the Oven approach to the mains on my KE125, but had nill effect....

So i ended up pressing them.

Do you still have to use some persuasion to get them out??

Kickaha
6th November 2006, 19:51
Oh,

I tried the Oven approach to the mains on my KE125, but had nill effect....

So i ended up pressing them.

Do you still have to use some persuasion to get them out??

normally I have just heated the cases, then given then a bang on something and they pop out

Sketchy_Racer
6th November 2006, 19:58
What happens when the engine heats up and the cases expand?? wouldn't the bearings start to spin in the races if the fit was too lose??

Ivan
6th November 2006, 20:43
no i remember i used a heat gun and heated the cases aluminum expnads quicker than steel and they just pop out

Ivan
6th November 2006, 20:44
What happens when the engine heats up and the cases expand?? wouldn't the bearings start to spin in the races if the fit was too lose??

the cases dont get that hot

Shaun
7th November 2006, 09:11

personal experience?

Yes Experience, I have raced both brands.

Show me any where in the world where a TZ 125 is as fast as the Honda RS125, and I will show you a team with a huge budget.

The Honda is the proven bench mark for 125's mate

Web sites can be a dangerous place to get your info from.

No I do not Sorry

Sketchy_Racer
7th November 2006, 09:32
Thanks for the advice.

After chatting to people face to face, they all agree on what you have said.

cheers for the heads up :yes:

Flyno
8th April 2007, 09:36
Shot glen lmao!
you and ivan are like a couple!