PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front tyre

Donor
1st November 2006, 22:27
Would any clever person perusing these boards, have a rough idea of what it might cost to replace a front tyre on me beastie?

From what I can fathom, it's a 3xS18 tyre - I haven't looked closely, as I am still depressed about the WOF check.

I just need a rough estimate, so's I can start grovelling to SWMBO to loosen the purse strings.

I figure if a decent car tyre costs me around 85 squids, then surely a smallish(?) bike tyre can't be that much worse?

Cheers.

Ixion
1st November 2006, 23:01
Uh, brace yourself mate. try sticking a 1 in the front if you want just a competant touring tyre (something like a Bridgestone BT45). Or a 2 in front if you want a fancy one .

There ARE cheaper tyres available. On a 250cc two smoker choosing such a cheap tyre might be a decision that you would regret (or, your widow would regret).

WRT
2nd November 2006, 09:14
But as a Donor, he has the opportunity to really make someone elses day!

Donor
4th November 2006, 14:15
Let my fingers do the walking, wound up going to Haldane in Mt Eden - got a good price on a Metzler 90/90 18 for $139

Out of interest, and remembering I am still a semi stupid newbie, what is the deal with having a front tyre of smaller width to the front? Is it a handling/braking thing as I assume?

Ixion
4th November 2006, 21:41
Eh? You mean why is the front tyre smaller than the rear?

On a bike you want the tyres as narrow as possible (sigh. Yes, I know, It's not like a car, OK. It's DIFFERENT). Smaller tyre means better handling (other factors being equal of course). But the rear tyre, you are in how narrow it can be, because it has to be able to handle the torque of the engine. Front doesn't have that to deal with, so it can be narrower. Limitation being the weight of the bike, heavier it is wider the tyre has to be (obviously). Hence light small bike shandle better than big heavy ones, a 125 will always have the edge over a 1000 in corners (other things equal, again).

Donor
5th November 2006, 19:54
Eh? You mean why is the front tyre smaller than the rear?

*MOST EXCELLENT EXPLANATION REMOVED - IT'S UP THERE PEOPLE, READ IT YOUR BLOODY SELVES!*

Thanks Ixion, that was exactly what I was asking - appreciate the simplistic reply, makes it easier for dumbass newbies like me who don't think so good... :wacko: