PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions?

baldrick
2nd November 2006, 02:15
just wondering if anyone can reccommend any product out there to help save my fairings? i have a 05 triumph sprint st in immaculate condition, and want to keep it that way if i can. i have some 3M scuff stuff, which is ok - but it's terrible on anything other than a flat surface. has anyone got something better that can be more easily molded around the curves easier?
thanks.

98tls
2nd November 2006, 05:36
My TLs has the clear stuff on it....dont know wether its 3m scuff stuff or not as it was on fairings etc when i bought it....after 40000 kms theres still not even a stone chip on the fairing.....whoever put it on did an amazing job as its around corners/curves etc...i think theres a real knack to putting the clear stuff on....hopefully someone who knows will chime in.....

Kendog
2nd November 2006, 05:59
Put it on wet is all I can suggest.

Kflasher
2nd November 2006, 06:06
I took my bike to a jet-ski outfit they applied a thin clear film (0.5mm thick) over areas likely to be scuffed. Ensure it is an outfit that will make templates rather that cutting on the bike. I am happy with the job I got and is holding up well.

Titanium
2nd November 2006, 06:09
Th pro's use a heat gun or at a pinch a hair dryer to mould it around curves .......

Blackbird
2nd November 2006, 06:31
just wondering if anyone can reccommend any product out there to help save my fairings? i have a 05 triumph sprint st in immaculate condition, and want to keep it that way if i can. i have some 3M scuff stuff, which is ok - but it's terrible on anything other than a flat surface. has anyone got something better that can be more easily molded around the curves easier?
thanks.

I had it done on my Blackbird by a company that does pinstriping, tinted windows etc for cars. They use a thin film which doesn't seem to shrink appreciably. Seeing them put it on is amazing, using water to slide the sheet into position. Looks a bit grotty for a day then pulls down beautifully - quite hard to see actually. I had mine done in Hamilton so you'll need to ask around in your area. Good luck!

98tls
2nd November 2006, 06:38
Just an afterthought...i put some on my fork legs and its done a great job of protecting them from stone chips.................

mooks
3rd November 2006, 17:54
I used an isopropyl alcohol and water mix in a spray gun - hair dryer and do it when the bike has been sitting in the hot sun ..... you can smooth and stretch the 3m stuff quite a bit when its warm. It will conform to the surface with some heat and encouragement....
the alcohol in the water activates the sticky and stops the air bubbles you get under it ...