PDA

View Full Version : My forks are here...

riffer
8th July 2004, 13:50
and those dirty bastards at customs want $60 GST off me...

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

James Deuce
8th July 2004, 13:57
Woot!!

And typical.

Who are you dealing with at Customs?

Paul in NZ
8th July 2004, 14:03
Check that they have been properly described and priced...

That sounds a bit high!

Not much point in arguing with them.... Success rate is about the same as if you got pulled doing a 200kph wheelie past a school for the blind at 3pm on the friday before a holiday...

Cheers

riffer
8th July 2004, 14:19
Anything over NZD$400 will set you back a minimum charge of $50 GST. :)

James Deuce
8th July 2004, 14:33
Anything over NZD$400 will set you back a minimum charge of $50 GST. :)
Who are you dealing with at Customs, and what is you reference number.

k14
8th July 2004, 14:40
Yeah that is normal, you have to pay 12.5% gst for any goods over $400. Sucks but they have the power. Sometimes you can get right through unnoticed. Take for instance my $700 or so leathers, didn't have to pay any gst for them, just went straight though.

DEATH_INC.
8th July 2004, 14:51
Yeh,I walked thru customs with about $2500 of ZX12 parts last time I went to aus.....
I thought the limit was $700?

Cajun
8th July 2004, 15:04
went i brought my lether suit back from aussie at xmas, got 10% discount at store, then claimed the gst back leaving aussie, and i just about got pulled up at hammy airport, but i got it thru with out paying a dime extra, all good

vifferman
8th July 2004, 15:07
went i brought my lether suit back from aussie at xmas, claimed the gst back leaving aussie, I took Mrs FS shopping in Melbourne the year before last; we kept all the GST receipts, but couldn't find out where to claim it back at the airport. Missed out on at least $100 of refund.
It's not like they have a big neon sign "GST REFUNDS OVER HERE!" of even any info about it.
Last time I looked up the Customs site for info about duty on bike parts, I'm sure it said there was none. Mebbe I looked in the wrong place. Mebbe I've lost the plot..:wacko:

k14
8th July 2004, 15:43
It isn't duty they are charging him (which is 0 on bike parts) it is the GST. They are completly different things.

Hope you get it all sorted celtic.

F5 Dave
8th July 2004, 16:03
In Melbourne the GST thingy is well hidden, I almost missed it. From memory you turn to the right 180 deg as you come down the escalator.

Seems to depend how busy as to whether customs sting you. Christmas time is a great time for getting stuff through. Make sure the Aussies don’t charge you gst (they don’t understand that often but are becoming more savy) & ask them to not add the freight to the invoice. Sometimes they will write the invoice down, but of course this might be considered immoral? :whistle:

shandawg
8th July 2004, 17:14
Glad to hear you have your bits mate, hopefully you'll be on the road in the next week or two?

Cajun
9th July 2004, 07:46
I took Mrs FS shopping in Melbourne the year before last; we kept all the GST receipts, but couldn't find out where to claim it back at the airport. Missed out on at least $100 of refund.
It's not like they have a big neon sign "GST REFUNDS OVER HERE!" of even any info about it.
Last time I looked up the Customs site for info about duty on bike parts, I'm sure it said there was none. Mebbe I looked in the wrong place. Mebbe I've lost the plot..:wacko:
Only reason we knew about it saw it in a tourist booklet thing, it was straight after customs, before duty free, so you would have had you eyes set on the piss, once thru customs, thats why you not see it

What?
10th July 2004, 19:15
and those dirty bastards at customs want $60 GST off me...

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
Their own website states quite plainly, there is no gst/duty on motorcycle parts. Get angry...

NordieBoy
10th July 2004, 19:54
Their own website states quite plainly, there is no gst/duty on motorcycle parts. Get angry...

The Customs Website (http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/arriving+in+new+zealand/customs+charges.asp) says (search for "motorcycle") 12.5 duty/gst for baggage and free (http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp) if just imported.

:sneaky2:

riffer
10th July 2004, 22:03
The Customs Website (http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/arriving+in+new+zealand/customs+charges.asp) says (search for "motorcycle") 12.5 duty/gst for baggage and free (http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp) if just imported.

:sneaky2:
I'd love this to be true, but their website just doesn't agree with you.

I've checked here for the information for importing for a private importer, for goods for personal use, and you are right, the duty on motorcycle parts for your own personal use is zero.

However, on the same web page,

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/private+importers/customs+charges.asp

it also says:

"Commonly Imported Goods for Private Use
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is also payable in addition to the duty rate shown"

Customs are, most magnanimously, charging me zero duty on the forks, but are hammering me 12.5% on the AUD$465 it cost me to import them, including gst on the postage and insurance.

bastards.

It should be $64. They are charging me $55. I'm just going to keep my head down, and accept my punishment for the crime of trying to import goods from overseas that I could not get in this country. :(

Still, at least it will get the bike on the road....:bleh: