PDA

View Full Version : cbr 250 rr oil capacity?

toads
8th July 2004, 17:03
hey there do any of you knowlegable types happen to know the oil capacity of a cbr 250 rr 1992 model?, my son has just changed the oil and the sump seems excessively full, we were told that a 1996 model has a capacity of 2.4 litres, which just doesn't seem right, any advice is appreciated thanks,

k14
8th July 2004, 17:09
2.4 litres for a complete filter and oil change. 2.2 for just an oil change. It has a total oil capacity of 2.7.

Just leave it running for about 2 mins or so. Stop it and take out the dip stick and wipe it clean. Get the bike level and screw the dip stick back in fully to see what the total oil level is.

MikeL
8th July 2004, 20:20
screw the dip stick back in fully to see what the total oil level is.

But check with the user's manual first. My CB-1/400 manual specifically states that to check the oil level you don't screw the dipstick in, just rest it on top, otherwise you get a false reading. The CBR-250RR may be different but it's worth checking as there's quite a difference in indicated levels according to how you take the reading.

k14
8th July 2004, 23:24
Well when it is just resting on the top of the filler hole there is no oil on the dip stick, and that is straight after filling it up with 2.4l of oil after a change. I didn't have a look in the workshop manual to see what way it should be measured, I just assumed that is the way. Seems logical to me, but I could be wrong.

toads
9th July 2004, 13:27
thanks for that, we changed the oil and filter, and in the absence of an owners manual assume that 2.4 litres is correct, with the dipstick screwed in it is reading over full with 2 litres in it, don't think the other 400mls will fit somehow.

k14
9th July 2004, 16:35
Take it for a ride to get the oil mixed all round into the right places and then let it settle for a while and take the reading again to see if it is the same. When you emptied the sump did you lean the bike from side to side to get all the oil out you could??

merv
12th July 2004, 14:42
If its like all the Hondas I have owned (and like Mike says for his 400 as well) don't screw the dipstick in - the reading is taken with it just resting on the first thread. If you are getting no oil with the dipstick like that you better put some more in it because you are way below the minimum line. You probably need that extra 400mls to get it to the right place.

k14
12th July 2004, 14:47
Hmmm, ok, I will have a read through the workshop manual and see if I can find anything about it. That is bad for me aswell.

k14
12th July 2004, 14:54
Ok, just checked the workshop manual, it says

-The vehicle should be straight when checking the oil level.
-After warming up the engine for 2-3 mins let the bike sit for 2-3 mins.

Measure the oil level without screwing the oil gauge in

Thanks for that merv. *Goes to check oil level*