PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those who know everything

placidfemme
3rd November 2006, 12:29
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

Ok... I'll post the answers to the questions before I leave work today (approx 4pm).

People who get the most answers correct will recieve some bling!

I've placed the Q's into 2 groups (worldwide & American)

Group 1:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants knows the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

3. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

4. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

5. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

6. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at leasthalf of them?

7. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

8. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Group 2

1. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

2. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

3. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

4. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other 6.

Good luck! May the force be with you :yes:

MSTRS
3rd November 2006, 12:44
.... They are straight questions with straight answers.......

Is there something you're trying to tell us?:shifty:

placidfemme
3rd November 2006, 12:45
Is there something you're trying to tell us?:shifty:

I could have included some "gay" ones... but then... yeah..

paturoa
3rd November 2006, 12:52
1) Boxing

2) potatoes and pumpkins

3) strawberry

4) suction

5) dwell, dwelling, dwelt, dweeb

6) question mark, exclamation mark, hyphen, quote, comma, semi colon, colon, full stop, apostrophie,

7) avacardo

8) shoes, socks, slippers, sandals, shit,

1) george dubba's populatity rating

2) dunno

3) baseball or softball

4) strike, hit in the nuts, steal backwards, get the coachs daughter pissed.

Sniper
3rd November 2006, 12:54
Damn, you beat me to it, well done matey

skelstar
3rd November 2006, 12:57
is:
1. Mt Rushmore
2. Minesota

paturoa
3rd November 2006, 13:01
is:
1. Mt Rushmore
2. Minesota

why/how is mt rushmore "moving backwards"

paturoa
3rd November 2006, 13:03
Damn, you beat me to it, well done matey

didnt get them all and most of the rest are just guesses

The_Dover
3rd November 2006, 13:06
5. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

Finn's favourite - DWARF.

Disco Dan
3rd November 2006, 13:08
arnt the answers meant to be 'upside down' underneath the questions?? no fair! :innocent:

MSTRS
3rd November 2006, 13:09
1) Boxing

2) potatoes and pumpkins BEANS

3) strawberry

4) suction

5) dwell, dwelling, dwelt, dweeb, DWAYNE

6) question mark, exclamation mark, hyphen, quote, comma, semi colon, colon, full stop, apostrophie,

7) avacardo

8) shoes, socks, slippers, sandals, shit, SNEAKERS

1) george dubba's populatity rating, NIAGRA FALLS

2) dunno LOS ANGELES??

3) baseball or softball

4) strike, hit in the nuts, steal backwards, get the coachs daughter pissed.

here's some more

placidfemme
3rd November 2006, 13:10
arnt the answers meant to be 'upside down' underneath the questions?? no fair! :innocent:

lol yeah but thats no fun...

riffer
3rd November 2006, 13:13
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants knows the score or the leader until the contest ends.

Rally driving could be another.

2. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

Asparagus and Rhubarb?

Strawberries, of course.

4. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Dehydrated? It would swell up again in the presence of liquid

I can think of dwarf, dwell and dwang...

6. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at leasthalf of them?

apostrophe, comma, full stop, semi-col, colon, exclamation mark, question mark, ampersand, hyphen, bracket (does that count?)

7. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

lettuce?

8. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

The_Dover
3rd November 2006, 13:16

spooks, if you kick them hard enough.

skelstar
3rd November 2006, 13:16
why/how is mt rushmore "moving backwards"

Dont know mate...? Could have been a guess maybe.

crashe
3rd November 2006, 13:25
Group 1:

Answer: Boxing

Answer: Spuds and pumpkin

Answer: Strawberries and raspberries

Answer: Sucked it in on a machine

Answer: dwarf and dwelling

6. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
Answer: ?question mark, !exclamation mark, - hyphen, " "quote, ,comma, ;semi colon, :colon, .full stop, 'apostrophie,

Answer: Avacardo

Answer: sandels, shoes, slippers, socks, sneakers

Group 2

Answer: Alaska's ice moving against the tides

Answer: Its that basketball team the LA Lakers.

3. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?
Answer: gridiron or aussie football

4. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other 6.
Answer: Foul ball, strike, a body hit, steal backwards

Lias
3rd November 2006, 13:29
1. Boxing

3. Strawberry

4. Bottle is placed on the bud and the pear is grown inside the bottle.

5. Dwarf, Dwarfism, Dwindle, Dwell, Dwelling

6. Period, Colon, Semicolon, Comma, Exclamation Mark, Question Mark, Hyphen, Apostrophe, Parenthess, Brackets

8. Shoes, Sandals, Socks, Stockings, Slippers, Skis

1. Niagra Falls, it moves back due to eroison (just like Huka Falls)

*edit* removed ones I only knew via google :-)

placidfemme
3rd November 2006, 13:33
Google + Wikipedia ftw!

no cheating!

Lias
3rd November 2006, 13:42
no cheating!

Googles not cheating :Punk: Removed the answers I didnt know before I googled thou.

placidfemme
3rd November 2006, 14:11
Ok well... leaving work early...

Here are the answers.

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward: Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millionsof gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball: baseball.

5. The fruit with its seeds on the outside: strawberry.

6. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired inplace on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

7. Three English words beginning with dw: dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

8. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar: period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point,quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. The original lakes referred to in Lakers: in Minnesota. (The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers, and kept the name when theymoved west.)

10. Seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit: taking a base on balls (a walk), batter hit by a pitch,passed ball, catcher interference, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, and being designated as a pinch-runner.

11. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: lettuce.

12. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s": shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts

Results as follows:

paturoa = 16 :second:

The Dover = 1 (bling awarded for humour)

riffer = 12 :third:

crashe = 16 :second:

Lias = 19 :first:

Bling awarded to all of the above :)

skelstar
3rd November 2006, 14:13
Farken Dover beat me and he didn't even get one right (I got one :))!

The_Dover
3rd November 2006, 14:17
i did get one, I got dwarf.

skelstar
3rd November 2006, 14:32
Ah true. My bad ;)

Beemer
3rd November 2006, 14:35
All berries count as having their seeds on the outside, not just strawberries!

And the best word that begins with dw is of course dwang!

And I doubt you will find canned, frozen, processed or cooked watermelon either!

Not fair for heading home early and posting the answers - boo hiss!

judecatmad
3rd November 2006, 14:39
Group 1:

Group 2

Good luck! May the force be with you :yes:

Group 1:
1. Boxing
2. Spinach, silver beet (or rhubarb or asparagus)
3. Strawberry
4. It grew in there...
5. Dwell, Dwindle (and Dwarf)
6. Colon, semicolon, comma, exclamation mark, full stop, quotation marks, question mark, apostrophe, parentheses
7. Lettuce
8. Sandals, shoes, socks, slippers, stockings, sneakers

Group 2:

1. Niagra Falls
2. Minnesota
3. Baseball
4. batter hit by apitch, passed ball, catcher interference, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, and being designated as a pinch-runner

(but I cheated on the second lot and googled them! How on earth would a POM know about baseball??? LOL)

Motu
3rd November 2006, 15:15
Oh come on! You are motorcyclists!!! The answer to question one is TRIALS.Each rider is scored by an observer at each section,at the end of the day score sheets for every section are collected and the scores added up.The riders are in clean clothes and bikes on trailers before it's known who won.

Ixion
3rd November 2006, 15:38
All berries count as having their seeds on the outside, not just strawberries!

And the best word that begins with dw is of course dwang!

And I doubt you will find canned, frozen, processed or cooked watermelon either!

Not fair for heading home early and posting the answers - boo hiss!

No. Believe it or not, but there is a restaurant in Auckland that has grilled watermelon on the menu. I didn't believe it either so I ordered it (well, I wasn't paying, and everything else on the dessert menu was equally odd). It arrived, and it was indeed grilled watermelon.

But I have never heard of cooked grapes

The_Dover
3rd November 2006, 15:40

you've obviously never fallen asleep on your back with teh leccy blanket on then.

sAsLEX
3rd November 2006, 16:50

Processed grapes are fairly common though

Ixion
3rd November 2006, 21:34
Fermentation doesnt count

Pixie
4th November 2006, 10:11
Here's one:
What U.S. national park is named Big Tit,in a foreign language?

Beemer
4th November 2006, 22:26
No. Believe it or not, but there is a restaurant in Auckland that has grilled watermelon on the menu. I didn't believe it either so I ordered it (well, I wasn't paying, and everything else on the dessert menu was equally odd). It arrived, and it was indeed grilled watermelon.

Yuck, grilled watermelon - sounds revolting!

As for grapes, you've obviously never had a dessert pizza as they often feature grapes. And I have had them cooked in desserts before, although I prefer them fresh.

dawnrazor
4th November 2006, 22:41
without evne looking at this thread i just like to say I know NOTHING