PDA

View Full Version : Never follow cars etc....

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 19:41
Sorry if this has been posted recently.

I had my first big road ride in some time Labour Weekend, and rode with two good friends who are both pretty handy riders. When we stopped for a ciggie, one of them piped up and asked why I passed every car/van/truck in front of me, even if my cruising speed was not really any greater than theirs.

Simple really. When riding behind these 'objects', we don't have a clear view of the road and road surface ahead. If one of these vehicles runs over a piece of wood etc on the road, it more often than not comes bouncing out from under the rear of the car/van /truck, and can kill you, or at least seriously hurt you. Do no follow vehicles, the best view is a clear view.

I once had a poxy old HQ ute that I used to transport race bikes with...and one sad day on my way home from Manfeild, it shat a rear (luckily for me, as having the front of your driveshaft drop down can make your vehicle do a nasty nose dive/flip when/if it digs in!) universal. The driveshaft parted company with my ute, I ran it over with the left rear wheel, and it went through the grill and radiator of the Mitsi Mirage behind me. My point being ANYTHING can come out from behind another vehicle, even if you think you can see the road ahead through their windscreen.

Yes I got a $300.00 speeding ticket on this, my first big road ride.
But I made it home.

Hope this helps.

merv
3rd November 2006, 19:44
I always thought that if you are on a bike on the road it is compulsory to pass all the cars and trucks anyway without having any sort of reason.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 19:49
I always thought that if you are on a bike on the road it is compulsory to pass all the cars and trucks anyway without having any sort of reason.

Of course....but when you get pulled over...an excuse MAY help!
Love your work!:Punk:

sunhuntin
3rd November 2006, 19:52
i just leave a big enough distance to be able to move out of the way. i never follow too close if i can avoid it, but will overtake if the car ahead is dragging ass in a dangerous fashion [ie, their slow driving means if he stops, ill be a charley sandwich between him and the car behind]

hell...one night i nearly collected a street sign that some boy racer had kindly knocked out of the ground and left it in the middle of the road. also those reflectors from the side of the highways...last place you expect to find them is all over your lane in the middle of town :gob:

i do prefer to be able to see for miles in both directions, which means i hate also being followed. when it comes to cars though...id rather have them up front where i can see them, specially the bad drivers. if i am stuck behind a car with no where to go, ill move as far right as i safely can so i can see past [im usually too tall to see through their rear and front windscreens] also the age old bit of advice...if you cant see my mirrors, i cant see you. this means im always dancing from side to side on the road. moving from one mirror to the other, so im always in their sight and therefore, thoughts.

McJim
3rd November 2006, 19:59
i just leave a big enough distance to be able to move out of the way. i never follow too close if i can avoid it,.

Come to Auckland. There are Holden drvers that can fit their cars into a 1 metre gap that you leave for braking distance on the motorway!

diggydog
3rd November 2006, 20:04
will thats a good point, i never thought of that as sometimes i ride too close.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 20:04
i just leave a big enough distance to be able to move out of the way. i never follow too close if i can avoid it,
i do prefer to be able to see for miles in both directions, which means i hate also being followed. when it comes to cars though...id rather have them up front where i can see them, specially the bad drivers. .

I don't think that's such a great idea sorry. Have you seen how a rugby ball bounces? Unpredictable and all over the place. Just like some of the objects that can come from under vehicles....they may pop out and into the other lane...get hit by the front of a vehicle going the other way...the bounced off that and into you even if you're 200m behind!

And you let bad driver go in front of you? Fuck that! What about when they do a silly passing move that ends in a head on, and the resulting carnage cleans you up?
Pull over and give then 5 mins if they're that bad.....

Ixion
3rd November 2006, 20:18
I agree with Mr Crasherfromwayback. For the reasons stated. I don't like following things. Or being followed. I want my own little box of road with nothing but me in it.

Trucks is worse than cars though, you never know what come falling off a truck. Trailers is bad too. And I don't like following vehicles I can't see through and round.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 20:30
I agree with Mr Crasherfromwayback. For the reasons stated. I don't like following things. Or being followed. I want my own little box of road with nothing but me in it.

Trucks is worse than cars though, you never know what come falling off a truck. Trailers is bad too. And I don't like following vehicles I can't see through and round.

You're so right about trucks Ixion...tyres disintergrating at 100kph...??!!
Nasty!

Goblin
3rd November 2006, 20:53
On a ride with some mates, my friend Pete saw what looked like the bike in front of him run something over and ricochet off the road and into the radiator of an oncoming Pajero. He was glad it missed him but thought no more of it. After the next stop, my other mate tried to kick-start his bike only to find the kick-starter gone! That was what Pete had seen go into the Pajero radiator. So dont ever ride with anyone with a kickstart bike! I've also narrowly missed being hit by another bikers mirror on the Dorkland motorway.

The best place for bad drivers is behind me! And I never use my horn or flip the bird at them as I pass them in the safest possible way....after all that just winds them up and makes them use their cage as a weapon. :yes:

And beware of bathtubs!

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 20:59
Pete

And beware of bathtubs!

Anyone called Pete is fucking cool.
And bathtubs are fucking cool too.

Korea
3rd November 2006, 21:02
Good point.

Poor old Mum was following a cement truck in her hatchback when the scoop (whattayacallit?) fell off the back of the truck and tore up her bonnet and left fender. Had it been a rider behind it would have been nasty...

Oh yeah, and never go near a bathtub with a fella named 'Big Pete'...

Goblin
3rd November 2006, 21:16

Yeah...he's my rock!

Coyote
3rd November 2006, 21:22
My bike is way too sluggish to pass cars quickly and effectively. The best it can do is pass at about 10k faster whilst making a racket

I need an SP1

Ixion
3rd November 2006, 21:27
Nasty!

They are bad,cos they can go sideways.

And beware of bathtubs!

And boats. Very unnerving being chased by a boat. See, that's what can happen if you follow a truck, you end up being chased by a boat

bell
3rd November 2006, 21:36
At least when the bad drivers are in front of you it's you that controls how you react to them eg. increase following distance, change road position, etc. Otherwise if the idiots are behind you then they can do untoward things like run up your arse for example.

Road position alone can be your best defence against others getting iinto your space. Be safe, be seen as the road safety ads once said.

Black Bandit
3rd November 2006, 21:39
WTF??? Bathtubs :killingme

OK, I have a confession. I hate passing cages. I never feel safe or comfortable passing them on the open road so I usually end up stuck until it's really really clear. Any tips? Is it less of a worry on larger bikes?

bell
3rd November 2006, 21:45
OK, I have a confession. I hate passing cages. I never feel safe or comfortable passing them on the open road so I usually end up stuck until it's really really clear. Any tips? Is it less of a worry on larger bikes?

I'd say so. My first bike was a 250 that made less power than yours and I don't think I could count on 1 hand how many things I overtook in that long year or so I rode that bike. Now, with a slightly more 'zippy' (as my Mum would probably say - but she doesn't know how bloody quick I can now go!) bike, it's too easy to see 'lose your licence' figures on the speedo when overtaking...

Crasherfromwayback
3rd November 2006, 23:17

Naturally it's far easier and safer on big bikes. But on a bike like yours it's still no sweat. Drop back....make sure you're in a gear that allows max acceleration....when the way is clear....wind that puppy up full song!
Pull out only when you're up to such a speed that you'll spend as little time as poss on the wrong side of the road and pass that sucker!:scooter:

slimjim
4th November 2006, 07:20
:woohoo: :woohoo: :lol: :lol: :laugh: :laugh: to all of thee above, thank's for all the good giggles, :love d it all, ,yup and shall keep mine quiet :dodge:

White trash
4th November 2006, 07:21
I think it's important to staybehind a vehicle long enough to check what sort of talent occupies it. Then you can make a much better decision as to how many wheels should be in contact with the road when you overtake. Very important.

merv
4th November 2006, 09:04
I guess WT you are saying look out for those tell tale little rectangular blue and red lights kind of inconspiculously placed in the back window of some cars and wagons. Also look out for Holdens with steel instead of alloy wheels.

MSTRS
4th November 2006, 09:05
Trucks is worse than cars though, you never know what come falling off a truck.

Ohhh, I don't know about that. There's some quite good stuff falls off the back of a truck from time to time.:innocent:

yungatart
4th November 2006, 09:51

Thats what passing lanes are for isn't it?

terbang
4th November 2006, 09:58
The best place for bad drivers is behind me! And I never use my horn or flip the bird at them as I pass them in the safest possible way....after all that just winds them up and makes them use their cage as a weapon. :yes:

Give that lass some bling for such a wise statement..

MSTRS
4th November 2006, 10:03
.... And I never use my horn or flip the bird at them as I pass them in the safest possible way....after all that just winds them up and makes them use their cage as a weapon. :yes: ....

There's one or two round here can attest to that!!

scumdog
4th November 2006, 10:42
Also look out for Holdens with steel instead of alloy wheels.

Like THAT is going to be easy to spot!

BTW, don't put any faith in that criteria, some DO have mags.

MSTRS
4th November 2006, 10:50

Yep - at least one round here. Is using those cheap disc pads that 'shed' - kind of appropriate really. Filth(y)

Disco Dan
4th November 2006, 11:21
had this woman in a Holden in front of me yesterday along SH16 coming back from riverhead. She was freaking out, kept pulling over to let me pass and spent more time looking in her mirrors a me than on the road!

Must admit i was a 'little' close.. ..enough that i could see her eye movement!

Even when i passed her, along the median strip, she never took her eyes off me until i was in front!

Well thats the FIRST car driver i have EVER encountered that actually activly looked for bikes!

...but maybe she lost her hubby to a bike or recently hit one herself or something??? whatever her reasons, good on her!

---

I normally do a 'slalem' with the cars, going left then right then left etc etc overtaking them.. ..just watching out for eratic driving!

Crasherfromwayback
4th November 2006, 14:31

Not quite. Passing lanes are for those that need to wait for them. Motorcycles don't need to wait if the way is clear. One of the great things about riding them!

Crasherfromwayback
4th November 2006, 14:33
I think it's important to staybehind a vehicle long enough to check what sort of talent occupies it. Then you can make a much better decision as to how many wheels should be in contact with the road when you overtake. Very important.

Once a holligan......ride in a mature fashion.....just like I do.:innocent:

merv
4th November 2006, 15:08

I spot them regularly - the steel rimmers that is - and I could put my money on every one I spot being a cop car (no one else has the same wheels).

Sure when it comes mags, some are cop cars some are not.

Us law abiding citizens don't have much to worry about all the same.

sunhuntin
4th November 2006, 15:24
At least when the bad drivers are in front of you it's you that controls how you react to them eg. increase following distance, change road position, etc. Otherwise if the idiots are behind you then they can do untoward things like run up your arse for example.

Road position alone can be your best defence against others getting iinto your space. Be safe, be seen as the road safety ads once said.

thank you bell.
i had one car today in town...he sat on my ass through the "S" bends of the cemetary circuit. normally i whip through there, but today, i just putted along, one hand on my knee, forcing the tosser behind me to go slow as well. stopped at the give way by the traintracks to let a car go by, and the idiot behind me starts tooting. yeh, right. i dont think so mate. he finally pulled off at bp.
but id have preferred him upfront... with him behind me, i spent longer checking my mirrors than needed just incase he did decide to speed up and rear-end me.

on the plus side, i did see some lovely flowering trees im going to photograph at some stage.

Crasherfromwayback
5th November 2006, 05:31
but today, i just putted along, one hand on my knee, forcing the tosser behind me to go slow as well. stopped at the give way by the traintracks to let a car go by, and the idiot behind me starts tooting.

on the plus side, i did see some lovely flowering trees im going to photograph at some stage.

Hate to say this....but you did the WRONG THING. Just what did you hope to achieve by doing that? Did you want to wind him/her up more than they were already? If so....top marks! Sounds like you managed that by the 'horn tooting'.

If you want to admire the lovely trees.....pull over and do so. But do yourself a favour and quit winding up aggressive drivers by riding like the Queen of the road. It's not cool or smart. It's fucking stoooopid.

Hawkeye
5th November 2006, 10:25

Not quite. Passing lanes are for those that need to wait for them. Motorcycles don't need to wait if the way is clear. One of the great things about riding them!

Sorry Crash, but I think you have that wrong. Passing lanes are where the cagers who have sat at 80k for the last 10k immediately speed up to 110k because it must be safe to do as the road is so much wider!

scumdog
5th November 2006, 12:10
I spot them regularly - the steel rimmers that is - and I could put my money on every one I spot being a cop car (no one else has the same wheels).

Sure when it comes mags, some are cop cars some are not.

Us law abiding citizens don't have much to worry about all the same.

Ah, it was more in reference to approaching one from behind while doing 130kph and being able to spot the steel rims.

Lou Girardin
5th November 2006, 16:26
Crasher is right. But I just pass cages on principle.

Crasherfromwayback
5th November 2006, 16:45
Crasher is right. But I just pass cages on principle.

As you do! Hey....in your opinion....what's your favourite '07' HD?

sunhuntin
5th November 2006, 18:32
Hate to say this....but you did the WRONG THING. Just what did you hope to achieve by doing that? Did you want to wind him/her up more than they were already? If so....top marks! Sounds like you managed that by the 'horn tooting'.

If you want to admire the lovely trees.....pull over and do so. But do yourself a favour and quit winding up aggressive drivers by riding like the Queen of the road. It's not cool or smart. It's fucking stoooopid.

would you rather i ignore the road rules surrounding the giveway i was at and pull out in front of oncoming traffic? i dont think so.
i slowed down after a car did just that, and i had to brake hard to slow down [despite only doing 50k]
it was then the car behind me decided it would fun to sit on my ass. i stopped at the give way [giving 2 or 3 warning flashes of the brake light, seein as they were so close] they tooted as the oncoming car went past.
if thered been enough room, i would have gone ahead of the oncoming car, and left the tooter behind.
i did 50k through the "S" bends, and not a dot less. thats the speed limit, right? the road we came out on [taupo quay] is wide, and they had enough room to overtake if theyd wanted to. as i said....i would have preffered them in front of me, but i wasnt going to be bullied into moving over. they didnt save anytime by sitting that damn close, so whats the point?

thanks for the lesson in "the wound up aggressive driver is right in tooting to try and force me to pull out in front of coming traffic therefore getting hurt or killed." great teacher!!

PS the trees were on the other side of the river by the kids playground.

Lou Girardin
6th November 2006, 05:49
As you do! Hey....in your opinion....what's your favourite '07' HD?

I haven't ridden any yet, they keep selling them. I want a squirt on the Softail Custom though, and the Nightrod Special.

Crasherfromwayback
6th November 2006, 07:36
would you rather i ignore the road rules surrounding the giveway i was at and pull out in front of oncoming traffic? i dont think so.
i slowed down after a car did just that, and i had to brake hard to slow down [despite only doing 50k]
it was then the car behind me decided it would fun to sit on my ass. i stopped at the give way [giving 2 or 3 warning flashes of the brake light, seein as they were so close] they tooted as the oncoming car went past.
if thered been enough room, i would have gone ahead of the oncoming car, and left the tooter behind.
i did 50k through the "S" bends, and not a dot less. thats the speed limit, right? the road we came out on [taupo quay] is wide, and they had enough room to overtake if theyd wanted to. as i said....i would have preffered them in front of me, but i wasnt going to be bullied into moving over. they didnt save anytime by sitting that damn close, so whats the point?

thanks for the lesson in "the wound up aggressive driver is right in tooting to try and force me to pull out in front of coming traffic therefore getting hurt or killed." great teacher!!

PS the trees were on the other side of the river by the kids playground.

Well you normally "Whip throught the esses...but today I just putted along with one hand on my knee...."...not hard to see why it looked like you were purposely pissing the person off really is it? And EXCUSE ME?....where did I say you should just go through the intersection???

Roj
6th November 2006, 10:54
Sorry Crash, but I think you have that wrong. Passing lanes are where the cagers who have sat at 80k for the last 10k immediately speed up to 110k because it must be safe to do as the road is so much wider!

Now that is the truth:Punk:

Roj
6th November 2006, 11:05

You need to be prepared to use the power your bike has, the less time actually passing the better. It is probably easy to say that you need to change down a gear and wind the throttle but you need to feel comfortable doing this.

Try and find some roads that you can try "passing" without traffic, make sure you know what your bikes feel like and how it responds to get the acceleration to make a quick pass.

Practise, practise, practise and if you think there is nothing more you can learn about riding a bike, stop, get off and buy a car:blink:

sunhuntin
6th November 2006, 11:08
Well you normally "Whip throught the esses...but today I just putted along with one hand on my knee...."...not hard to see why it looked like you were purposely pissing the person off really is it? And EXCUSE ME?....where did I say you should just go through the intersection???

normally i do, but after nearly being collected at the previous giveway [where i had right of way] i thought id better slow down some. the car behind was a fair distance back till i had to jump on the brakes, then he came right up behind me. again...i aint gonne be bullied to go faster than what feels safe...i was doing 50k, and was pushed to just over before i caught myself.

i aint gonna participate in this anymore....had enough of your bullshit. i ride well and safely...been told that heaps of times by other bikers. i ride to keep myself, and if riding in a group, them alive. im not gonna be bullied by cagers or people like you who think the dangerous drivers have right of way.
a cager thought that once....it was me she hit. 4 kids and preggers, but she risked the lot pulling from a stop sign with no clear view. guess what? she got let off too. i lost my job, my bike, and several weeks of my life.
guess its a good thing im still alive, to be treated like future roadkill by fellow bike riders.

MSTRS
6th November 2006, 11:15
guess its a good thing im still alive, to be treated like future roadkill by fellow bike riders.

Aaahh, you're just upset, we luffs yah :hug:

Crasherfromwayback
6th November 2006, 12:03
i aint gonna participate in this anymore....had enough of your bullshit. i ride well and safely...been told that heaps of times by other bikers. i ride to keep myself, and if riding in a group, them alive. im not gonna be bullied by cagers or people like you who think the dangerous drivers have right of way.
a cager thought that once....it was me she hit. 4 kids and preggers, but she risked the lot pulling from a stop sign with no clear view. guess what? she got let off too. i lost my job, my bike, and several weeks of my life.

Good for you. Must be bloody uncomfortable with your kinckers so twisted though.

Morcs
6th November 2006, 15:19

I agree.

I hope this helps.

Black Bandit
6th November 2006, 15:52
if you think there is nothing more you can learn about riding a bike, stop, get off and buy a car

Farking hell, where did that come from???:mega: :Oi: Settle down boy, me thinks you're getting a little ahead of yourself! Let's try and keep this civil. :finger:

Crasherfromwayback
6th November 2006, 16:24
Well no matter who we are, or how good we think we are at riding these glorious inventions....we can always learn more. :scooter:

sinned
6th November 2006, 19:07
So true. Leave passing here to the cars; they all speed up and if we storm past on a bike at the end of the lane or round the bend will be a cop. Better to let them sort themselves out and then pass.

BTW driving (a cage) back from Taupo track day yesterday came across 3 unmarked patrol cars that I wouldn't have noticed but for the new radar detector - scary how many I have missed in the past.

Roj
7th November 2006, 09:35
Farking hell, where did that come from???:mega: :Oi: Settle down boy, me thinks you're getting a little ahead of yourself! Let's try and keep this civil. :finger:

It wasn't aimed at being nasty, but a way to say there is always something to learn, I have been riding off and on for almost 3 decades, I don't for 1 minute think I know all there is about riding, the times when I have come off which was when I was lot younger was when I thought I was a really great rider, must have been something to do with being 6 foot tall and bullet proof:mellow:

NighthawkNZ
10th November 2006, 13:03
Nasty!

Some years ago... I was about to over take a truck and trailer unit onit and one of the inner tyres blow... A piece of tyre hit me right square on the visor... cracked it gave me on hell of a heart pounding moment or two...

Luckily I was carrying my mates spare helmet ...

Also remember thats when trucks were only allowed to do 80km...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roj
if you think there is nothing more you can learn about riding a bike, stop, get off and buy a car

Farking hell, where did that come from??? Settle down boy, me thinks you're getting a little ahead of yourself! Let's try and keep this civil.

I learn something new every day... my smile gets bigger each time I get off me bike ...

yungatart
10th November 2006, 13:37

Because of my somewhat deficient eyesight (yes, I am legally allowed to drive/ride), I almost only pass on passing lanes - unless there is absolutely NOTHING on the other side of the road and it is perfectly straight for miles...
I lack depth perception and this is the only safe way for me to do it.

Roj
13th November 2006, 09:40
I learn something new every day... my smile gets bigger each time I get off me bike ...

A very good way to be:rockon:

Roj
13th November 2006, 09:43
Some years ago... I was about to over take a truck and trailer unit onit and one of the inner tyres blow... A piece of tyre hit me right square on the visor... cracked it gave me on hell of a heart pounding moment or two...

Been behind a truck when it happened, played dodge the rubber, I learnt to keep an eye out for the smoke coming off the wheel, seen it a few times over the years, the strip of rubber thaty gets laid down would take out a bike and rider real quick:shit:

scumdog
13th November 2006, 10:11
No need to pass 'everything', unless it is really slow, sometimes it pays to stick behind the effwit driver - you get to see the crash so much better.

Seriously, yesterday got passed on a blind left-hand bend but an idiot in a car - who then spedd up to 120kph+ at times (then dropped back to 95-100 for no obvious reason) AND THEN later on at a twisty bit cut at least two blind corners with double yellow line and was completely on the wrong side of the road.

Needless to say I followed said car until it turned off north of Roxburgh, otherwise there would have been a good chance they might have passed me again in an even more unsuitable spot.

(and I WILL be dealing with it work-wise)

frogfeaturesFZR
13th November 2006, 10:15
Well done Scummy. :yes:

Roj
14th November 2006, 10:46
No need to pass 'everything', unless it is really slow, sometimes it pays to stick behind the effwit driver - you get to see the crash so much better.

Too True

Seriously, yesterday got passed on a blind left-hand bend but an idiot in a car - who then spedd up to 120kph+ at times (then dropped back to 95-100 for no obvious reason) AND THEN later on at a twisty bit cut at least two blind corners with double yellow line and was completely on the wrong side of the road.

These are the types that NEED to get off the road, an accident waiting to happen

NighthawkNZ
14th November 2006, 15:21
Been behind a truck when it happened, played dodge the rubber, I learnt to keep an eye out for the smoke coming off the wheel, seen it a few times over the years, the strip of rubber thaty gets laid down would take out a bike and rider real quick:shit:

too true...

i very rarely now will stay behind a truck... stung once, learnt a life experience... i not like it one bit...

Was funny afterwards... we pulled over and I asked my mate for a smoke... He looked at me... then looked at the visor and then looked at me again and said... "yep a good time and reason to start..."

Totally agree with this too... and had to do with another truck... this was years ago on the desert road on my old katana 750... I remember the day well it was a sunny afternoon... I was heading south... I past a white truck and trailer at a casual speed of maybe 120... as I pulled back into my lane the truck speed up... and all I could see in my mirrors was the word MAC... Me being young dumb and full of... said eff you and open the throttle to put some space.... at 160 all I could see was MAC... and few different speed levels... (must have been on a return run and had no or little load)

If anything had happened he would not have bee able to stop or pull up... I just let him pass he sped away...

the funny thing was 10 minutes later I caught up with him and he had been pulled over by Mr Plod... :done:

scumdog
29th November 2006, 19:41

Needless to say I followed said car until it turned off north of Roxburgh, otherwise there would have been a good chance they might have passed me again in an even more unsuitable spot.

(and I WILL be dealing with it work-wise)

Update: Dickhead driver admits being on that road and driving at that time but denies all, says he will 'defend any tickets in the Court'
Mwahahaha, fricken loser!!

I get PAID when I appear in Court so to him I say: "Bring it onnnn, oh yeah":Punk:

Disco Dan
30th November 2006, 22:32
well today I was travelling in the rain along the northwestern motorway, I new the open causeway section was approaching and how 'windy' it gets... ...spied a large truck and pulled up next to the driver so he could see me and used him as a wind shield! It was surprisingly hard to keep to the same speed as him, but oh.. bliss no wind blowing me out of the lane this time!

Brian d marge
30th November 2006, 23:01
Update: Dickhead driver admits being on that road and driving at that time but denies all, says he will 'defend any tickets in the Court'
Mwahahaha, fricken loser!!

I get PAID when I appear in Court so to him I say: "Bring it onnnn, oh yeah":Punk:

That made me chuckle, I know that kind of driver ,,, and for ONCE they are getting their comeuppance !!!!

If you need witnesses !!!! i can provide an afterdavid !

Stephen