PDA

View Full Version : Any vinylers out there?

awesker
4th November 2006, 10:14
Hey guys, Im looking for someone who can help me get the vinyl onto my RGV fairing without screwing it up! Ive got the 2 colours of vynil and all the decals that attach to that, but just need someone with a good eye and a steady hand to apply it for me! Ill pay you, and even throw in some beers! I dont mind traveling around auckland a bit either, just wanna get it done asap!

Cheers guys!
Nick

oh also, a mate said i should gloss coat the fairing, so would i apply the vynil and gloss coat it or gloss coat the fairing before adding the vynil?

oh and also also Its only the 2 side panels and the front portion that needs to be done, ive also got some old crusty shit pannels to take references from.

yungatart
4th November 2006, 10:22
If you want a top rate job take all the bits to an automotive spray painter, get them clear coated, they will arrange someone to apply the decals for you and then clear over the top of them.

awesker
4th November 2006, 10:31
yeah?

any idea how much itll cost? Im only a student so normal working rates will cripple me for a few weeks D:

onearmedbandit
4th November 2006, 10:34
Who has had experience with clear coating over large vinyls? Been warned that it is not ideal. Any ideas?

awesker
4th November 2006, 10:36
what do you mean? is there a better way to go about doing it?

yungatart
4th November 2006, 10:43
I suggest you go and get quotes from reputable painters. Whatever you do, DON'T stick them straight on the bare plastics.

onearmedbandit
4th November 2006, 12:02
Why's that?

Waylander
4th November 2006, 15:41
Dingdong does Vinyl work as a hobbie, you might PM him and ask.

DingDong
6th November 2006, 18:01
Stick the vinyl straight to the (clean, smooth & flat) plastic.
I would not recomend putting a clear coat over the vinyl, if you crap off you'll have a massive job removing the vinyl... you'll need to sand them off!:angry:
but it looks better with clear (see you tank Vs your fairing) but in my opinion not worth the effort or money.

Remove you panels, clean them with soap and water

Get some baby-oil (yes baby oil) and put 3-4 drops into a spray bottle with about a liter of water.

liberally spray the first panel (water should beed, not run off) remove your vinyl from the backing.

Apply the vinyl at the ridge of the panel (at the highest point) and gently place it down avoiding creases (dont push it down just yet)

If it goes down flat and correct your a winner, if it dont lift it back up but if it didnt because of the shape of the panel (and there is no way it ever will go on flat) spray the application paper and gently remove it.

Now rub the vinyl down at the ridge only, lift one side and stretch on... then do the other side until you have it... as long as you have water (with baby oil) on the adhesive side you'll be OK, dont let it dry out.

If you manage not to stuff it up, you'll need to squese out the water from under the vinyl.

... best bet... take it to a sign shop in Aucks somewhere, it'll only take them an hour so should cost around $40... but thats for them to decide.

I dont want to touch it... It's a risky job in that if it has't been cut correctly it can all turn to shit real quick and I'll be liable, but you should really have a go yourself... give me a bell if you stuff it and we'll get you a new set... KB discount as always:yes: good luck