PDA

View Full Version : L Plate

MattRSK
5th November 2006, 12:35
Hi there,

How many of you learners have your L plate on? Just got mine on Sat and felt kind of bad doing 80 on the motorway and everyone else have to change lane just to pass you :-)

Also, after one hour my hand gets numb - does one get used to this and not have this effect? or does the seasoned rider get the same "sensation" as well?

My name is MattRSK, nice to meet you too.

Disco Dan
5th November 2006, 12:41
I dont get it? youv made over 1000 posts on here and you got your L plate today? confused me!

oh and to answer your question, had L plate on for first 2 weeks of riding and that was it.

Sketchy_Racer
5th November 2006, 12:42
Hi MattRSK.

welcome to the site.

Take your L plate off and stop looking like a noob and just do 100kph. Cops are VERY resonable this day and age. Most the time you can get away with 120kph and they are all sweet.

The Numb hand thing. I find Jizzing off with alternating hands, Or even both at the same time builds up the muscle in my hands to stop the Numbness.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help....

-RG

MattRSK
5th November 2006, 12:50
I dont get it? youv made over 1000 posts on here and you got your L plate today? confused me!

oh and to answer your question, had L plate on for first 2 weeks of riding and that was it.

Yeah I am a slow learner. What about the cramps, RG100!! might be on to something. He seems like he knows a lot about what he is saying.

Sketchy_Racer
5th November 2006, 12:56
To stop the pain of cramp,

Simply cut your wrists before you go for a ride then the pain of the cramp will no longer bother you.

done.

MattRSK
5th November 2006, 13:04
I am beginning to wonder about RG100!!

Sounds like he could be a little bit EMO. Can you please not hijack my thread anymore. I am just wanting to find out some information as I am new to riding. Thanks

bobsmith
5th November 2006, 13:27
MattRSK, I believe all of your symptoms are caused by your bike having too many fairings.

Give me your lower fairings, this will cause in more wind hitting you at 80km/hr and take a load off your wrist (as you weight is now being supported by wind) what colour scheme is your lower fairing by the way? we can just do a straight fairing swap if you like.

iwilde
5th November 2006, 13:33
What I did was put it on then break it off and kept it in my back pack just in case I got pulled over. Never did get pulled up.

slimjim
5th November 2006, 14:53
Also, after one hour my hand gets numb - does one get used to this and not have this effect? or does the seasoned rider get the same "sensation" as well?

My name is MattRSK, nice to meet you too.[/QUOTE]

plenty of practise lad :tugger: :drinkup: :sweatdrop
yup and if this does not work, tie a small weight at the end of a string(about 4ft long) , to a piece of tubing, now wind it up and down with hour's of fun, strength up wraist, :yes: as most sport bikes your weight is carried on your wraist's, (when going slow:rofl: :rofl: )
yup nice to meet :yes:

skelstar
5th November 2006, 15:29
Matt, you sound like a very sensible young man, I hope you enjoy this careful start to riding :niceone:

hellnback
5th November 2006, 16:23
If you're going to stick to the learners speed limit then you may as well use your plate!
I had mine on the whole time, infact the missis still has it on her bike and I can never be fucked taking it off when I'm riding it. In the end who really gives a toss if it's on, saves you from a fine from the feds....

As for the wrist, it'll come right. Buy one of those hand exercise thingys that you squeeze together...

quikk
5th November 2006, 17:02
The only time i had a L - Plate on my bike was when i was sitting the graduated licence stages (cos you have to) apart from that you should take it off and throw it in the back of your wardrobe - except when you get your full then you should have a party and burn it.
I reckon they cause more trouble than they are worth - they draw attention to you and the odd idiot thinks its a good laugh to nearly drive up your phoo - phoo to see if you will freak out or not - just ride the speed limit the same as everyone else and you will find that the extra 20km of speed will help your wrists heaps.

Meanie
5th November 2006, 17:11
Loose the L plate, its very uncool and so is doing 80 ks, as for your numb hand, buy a big cruiser :yes: Seriously though i still get pins and needles after about 30 mins on the bike and ive noticed lots of other riders drop thier left arm beside them to get circulation going again

Maha
5th November 2006, 17:19
Hi there,

How many of you learners have your L plate on? Just got mine on Sat and felt kind of bad doing 80 on the motorway and everyone else have to change lane just to pass you :-)

Have a read through this, i had the same prob once, also have a look at the link the 'Zed' put in this thread....could be helpful....:done:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21558

pervert
5th November 2006, 20:29
In the end who really gives a toss if it's on, saves you from a fine from the feds....

A hell of a lot of people as it seems...

They make me laugh...and so does doing 70kmph on the open road...:zzzz:

crashe
5th November 2006, 20:57
Bike: 1989 Honda CBR 250R

Hi there,

What motorways are there in and around Palmerston North?
I came from that place many a year ago and there was none there then nor was there any when I was last down there about 6 years ago.... :whistle:

Ok loosen your grip up on the throttle if you are talking about your right hand.
You dont need to be gripping them like deaths grip... relax.
Also maybe your handlebars needs adjustment for your size etc.
Maybe they are set at the wrong place for you.

Also when riding take your hand off and give your arm a shake every now and then... like at stop signs or on a long straight...

Otherwise you will end up with carpel tunnel syndrome......

bobsmith
5th November 2006, 21:17
Okay.... everyone does realise matt's taking a piss out of the typical newb question that lots of people ask over and over again right.....

WarlockNZ
5th November 2006, 22:06
Ummmm the limit on an L is 70k not 80 ... lol .. i had mine on for a day .. then i snapped that peice of shit square over my knee.

it just makes you a target .. not that i'm telling you to break the law or anything .. that would be wrong.:nono:

Black Bandit
6th November 2006, 16:03
Don't you dare get stopped now - I got done a few weeks back.

Would sir be wanting any change from your $400 ?

Pretty rediculous fine when you consider the infraction but it's classified as a "breach of licence conditions".