PDA

View Full Version : SV650 ignition advance keys

Les
9th July 2004, 02:07
Does anybody know anything about sourcing a 4 deg ignition advance key for a SV650K3? A reanonable gain in hp and torque to be gained here...and I want one! I'm assuming that it's not something that Suzuki themselves would sell, or is it?

Cheers.

F5 Dave
9th July 2004, 15:51
Check out the Factory website or Dynojet. Perhaps you can just slot the backing plate the senor lives (Did this on my RF) on & rotate it reverse direction from crank rotation until it knocks & then back a bit. Keep the sensor close as you can, 10thou if you can. To get max gain it will mean testing & running on 96.

FROSTY
9th July 2004, 15:56
I'da thought if 4 degrees is whats needed it would be a case of putting a degree wheel on the backing plate and slotting the plate to that angle.
mind you wont the cdi need rechipping to suit?

F5 Dave
9th July 2004, 16:21
Well ideally you add a power commander & remap the ignition, (pop a k$) but the quick & dirty way to get more advance is to just move the rotor or the sensor towards each other so the spark occurs earlier. Sometimes bikes are retarded a bit from the optimum depending on what they expect is going to be available for gas, not everyone wants to run or can get 4star leaded. Like us.

4 degrees is probably a number plucked out from testing on local gas, wherever that is, which is why testing is a good idea. If you can measure it accurately on such small rotors then it might be interesting to do so.

Oh yeah Suzuki will probably respond "invalidate warranty blah blah etc" & fair enough. How do they know someone won't fill it with 91 & detonate it to bits.

aza131
9th July 2004, 16:50
JHS (http://www.jhsracing.co.uk)
Try these guys.

DEATH_INC.
9th July 2004, 17:33
I'da thought if 4 degrees is whats needed it would be a case of putting a degree wheel on the backing plate and slotting the plate to that angle.
mind you wont the cdi need rechipping to suit?
Na,you keep the same curve,just +4 deg

Les
9th July 2004, 17:33
Thanks for the link. I'll email them and see what they can do for me.
As far as I have been told, this key was fitted to a few SV's in the UK by dealers to make up for the fuel thing as suggested by F5 Dave.
I've also read some discussion about slotting the sensor mounting but most opt for the key as it is more easily reversible, and more accurate for a kickoff.

Thanks guys.