PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fork seals, not so hard way

stanko
5th November 2006, 19:28
Its a job most people fear, replacing those leaky fork seals. this job has the potential to go pearshaped pretty quickly , especially if you dont have all the tools.

I found this method on the webwhen looking for the oil qty to put in GSXR250 forks ( if you know the correct qty let me know)

Instead of pulling the forks to bits picking out the seals then reassembling, heres the other way.

Remove forks from bike
Remove the dust seal and circlip retaining the seal
Remove the cap at the top of the forks , some screw in others are retained with a circlip
Get some cheap car engine oil ( new stuff not shit from the last oilchange) and fill the forks up to the very top. Replace the cap on the forks.
If you have a hydraulic press or access to one just gently press the top of the fork tube , then as if by magic the seal will pop out.
Replace the seal then repeat for leg no 2

If you dont have a press then park the car near a wall and use the jack to compress the fork leg , as neither the car or the wall will move the seal will pop out.

Dont forget to drain all the oil out before refilling with the correct amount of fork oil

This method works well as I tried it last night on my bucket racer, I didnt have a allen key long enough to get to the damper rod bolt and didnt want to buy one specially for the job.

Warning this is a little messier than the traditional way so have a few rags ready

Heres the link http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/replace_fork_seals/

dhunt
5th November 2006, 20:39
Certainly an interesting way of doing it. Sounds like quite a good idea.

Skunk
5th November 2006, 21:00
I think I'll give that a go. Popped a fork seal at the BoB and haven't fixed it yet.
Thanks for the tip Stanko.