PDA

View Full Version : need some answers, anyone can help?

Enigma
19th May 2003, 17:29
I'm a newb with bikes when it comes to practical stuff and I'd like to ask You guys few questions...
>how does it go with insurance, how high is it at the beggining?
>up to what engine capacity I can go when getting learners/restricted?
>how much money to spend do You suggest for my first bike? (preferably Honda)
>and generally how does it look here in NZ for bikers? police, ppl, how do they act? (I'm from Europe so... You know)

thanx for any help :)

and sorry that I ask so "formally", haven't got much time at the moment

Gixxer
19th May 2003, 17:39
Up to 250cc for learners.

around $3000 for a 250cc sports bike, depends on what you get and who you get it from. not sure on other types.

insurance depends on who you go with, i went with protecta on my 250 some years back and I paid around $900 for the year, then went with State and i pay around $400 on my 750cc

cops are not too bad, i think you may want to check out some of the threads on this as everyone as a different opinion on this, unless you r breaking the rules they do not hassel you too much.

hope this helps a bit.

festus
19th May 2003, 17:46
Hey dude!,

Insurance sucks, but is a necessary evil.

Obviously cc rating and bike value play a big part in the equation. Pays to get hold of a good insurance broker, or do some shopping around yourself.  I think I'm with Protecta, or is it Swann?, can't bloody remember actually, how embarassing!. But one of them I found had the best deal at the time.

Learners start at 250cc. There is a huge array of bikes in this category. Again dude shop around. You'll find a lot of good deals around if you look. Bike Trader would be a good start.

To get a good idea of what the police etc are like, read some of the other threads. There's plenty to get you started there.

Good luck!.

Festus

festus
19th May 2003, 17:48
Gixxer you beat me to the punch!.

Enigma
19th May 2003, 20:14
thanx :niceone:
that surely helps me out, I should've post it much earlier instead of asking ppl :P

ok, so what I'm left with now is to checks out some bikes and... get myself insured *checks black market how much is for a healthy kidney*

anyways, thanks for You help :)

Enigma
19th May 2003, 20:15
thanx :niceone:
that surely helps me out, I should've post it much earlier instead of asking ppl :P

ok, so what I'm left with now is to check out some bikes and... get myself insured *checks black market how much is for a healthy kidney*

anyways, thanks for Your help :)

Redstar
19th May 2003, 20:17
I've changed to third party only $22 with AMI cool
the way I see it the bike is paid for and owes me nothing so why pay big bucks. If you buy on HP you must insure fully comp
but if you have a home contents and car with a big company like AMI dont insure with the likes of Protecta through the dealer cause they charge like a wounded bull shop around.
check out the excess too. like proteta is a wopping $1000 plus whereas AMI is like $100 bucks.
CBR 250 yep thats the one but suzuki have a groovey 250 new if you have 8 grand to spare?

eNZed Fred
19th May 2003, 20:35
Insurance isn't compulsory, so you may choose not to have any at all.

Once you hit the magic 25 yrs old, then doors open to a couple of other companies that may be cheaper than others.  Try John Baker Insurance, and Star is another choice.

Insurance is about covering risk.  Once the risk is covered then the quantity of cover ($) is not such a big element of the premium.  $20,000 bikes are not hugely dearer to cover than a $5000 one.  The risk though in a over 1000cc for an under 25 yrs that has no off-street parking can make premiums huge, especially when you throw in a previous claim and a couple of convictions.

If you are a new arrival from overseas, then for up to one year, you can ride in NZ under your home country license. Whatever it was legal for you to ride over there, is OK here.

Talk to AA, they will put you right on licensing. (I hope)

The new GSX250 Suzuki will cost $6995, and you may beat a dealer down to free on road costs, if not for 12 months, then you might get 6 months free registration.

The cops are only doing their job.  If you are an arsehole and / or lawbreaker then you are going to have trouble.  If you are a speed clown, then you may still have trouble.  If you are totally law-abiding and live a thoroughly boring life, then you may still have trouble.  Good luck on this one.

Cheers.

Redstar
19th May 2003, 21:51
have those suzis come down to seven grand?
Dame it I want one. true I forgot this chap might be under 25?
at least being old has some advantages.
no hair to wash plus cheaper insurance.
:rockon:

Gixxer
20th May 2003, 07:56
I have my house and contents and the missus car with state so I get a good deal on my bike, i think it is around $400, but if it was not for the other items been nisured with them I think i would be with Swann or Protecta.

Coldkiwi
20th May 2003, 12:34
yeah $3000 should get a decent 250. the trick is to test ride the bikes from the stores and buy a good model well priced privately .. or you'll pay too much from the shop.

bin the honda and get a kwaka :)

I've gone with State (had a bitch of a time finding any company that would insure just a bike). They've been pretty good and definitely the cheapest (but as with the cops, different people have wildly different opinions!)

btw. I've got a ZXR 250 going for under $3000 if you're keen! Its in the trading section on the site.

If you have any other questions, the answers (or at least some ranting and raving) will probably be found somewhere on this site! just do a search

:done:

Dave
20th May 2003, 13:40
Quick word on insurance-there is a reason companies like state are cheap-they do shit repairs.If you can go through a broker they usually insure through commercial departments of large companies and wont piss you around bickering over repair prices.
EG>friend had a fireblade brand new in 1997,ten months old he crashed it. had one months squabling just to get the repair underway,I crashed my Gsxr about the same time,one call to my broker,he said to take it wherever i wanted to get it repaired.
All Brand new panels,brackets,dash,everything-$7500 worth of repair on a bike values at $9000.It came back better than it ever had been.my friend got his bike back one month after mine and it still was not right.

Enigma
20th May 2003, 16:56
Originally posted by Redstar
CBR 250 yep thats the one but suzuki have a groovey 250 new if you have 8 grand to spare?
hehe... I wish mate... I wish... 8 grand is at the moment beyond my reach, I want something more simple for a start

Originally posted by eNZed Fred
If you are a new arrival from overseas, then for up to one year, you can ride in NZ under your home country license. Whatever it was legal for you to ride over there, is OK here.
I'm kind of a new, came here a year ago but I didn't do license back in my homecountry, they rip too much for it, too expensive and I knew that I'm leaving anyway

Originally posted by Redstar
have those suzis come down to seven grand?
Dame it I want one. true I forgot this chap might be under 25?
at least being old has some advantages.
no hair to wash plus cheaper insurance.
:rockon:
yipe... this chap i under 25, even a lot under :cool: I'm 19, and this might not look too well for insurance companies, that's why I don't want to buy the best available bikes on a market only something simplier and cheaper (damn, I'd like too thou)

Originally posted by Coldkiwi
btw. I've got a ZXR 250 going for under $3000 if you're keen! Its in the trading section on the site
maybe, maybe :) if I'll make it on time than why not, but can't promise anything

wkid_one
20th May 2003, 18:52
Originally posted by eNZed Fred
If you are totally law-abiding and live a thoroughly boring life

Excuse me - but why the hell would you buy a bike in the first place then!

My idea - just find a good place to get your jollies on your bike - Hills are good because it is an arse for the Cops to turn around....

Insurance - SHOP SHOP SHOP SHOP.....if you are paying over $800 with a clean license - someone is making fecken good money off you.

Bikes - 250cc in NZ are expensive - why because you have to start on them - which keeps the market bouyant......so if you can aviod them do.....however if you can't shop around because as they are typically only learner bikes - many have gone for a skate - check fork staunchions esp for scratches along with the frame as these are expensive to replace and difficult to repair so scratches are usually evident here.  Many 250cc's in shops are the result of people trading up as they have graduated in their license. 

Police - well - police always tend to look at motorcyclist with a sterner eye - only because of the availability of speed etc - however in the main you will only ever be pulled over for doing something stupid/illegal.....pick your places to have fun - many of the best bike roads are not frequented by cops anyhow - as they tend to stay to main roads.

Enigma
20th May 2003, 19:20
thx for the advice :D both mechanical and practical