PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever actually tried this?

greenhorn
9th July 2004, 12:20
I started a thead before asking about whether my 6 ft 5 inch 125kg hulking mass of quivering whale blubber could fit on a 250 (i'm just a newbie to biking).
I got plenty of helpful comments, one of them from wari who suggested to just get a bigger bike and put some 250 stickers on it and the cops wont know the difference.
That idea passed through my head but i quickly dissmissed it as a dumb idea.
Now that i see someone suggesting it i'm wondering... or maybe wari is a bit tongue in cheek?
Anyone done that before?
Seems to me as a new guy, there doesnt seem too much difference to look at between say a 600 and some of the 250's around???

FROSTY
9th July 2004, 12:35
The problem is the cops aint stupid --they go round and read the rego lable
as soon as they do you're sprung.
The 250 lables might work for a cursury glance I suppose.
Um er well hypotheticly speaking it is possible that a gpz500 might have been licenced as a GPZ2500 by mistake and with 250 stickers could have been mistaken for a 250 even at a reg wof check--but of course i know noone who would do such a thing

Motoracer
9th July 2004, 12:41
You can get a TL1000R and slap on some FXR 150 stickers on it. Know one will know... :whistle:

Reality check. Cops don't give a toss about stickers and what they say, unless they happend to be into bikes. They'll look at rego details and it'll have it there in black and white. Only way round that is switching rego details but I am not going to sujest that to anyone here... :shutup:

Mongoose
9th July 2004, 13:36
There was a young fella down this way that di this years ago, put 250 stickers on a 400 and went for his ticket, lucky no check was done by the then snake that took hime and he passed.Or so i have heard :banana:

Jackrat
9th July 2004, 13:48
My younger brother who is of similar diamentions to you rode a 100cc Yamaha
for a while when he was a bit broke.He managed to get by an the bike didn't die so don't worry about it.
It wasn't a sport type bike an he looked like a whale on a pushbike but it worked,he got to work each day.
Cheers.

maybe
9th July 2004, 13:52
I've been told that people can apply for an excemption from being on a 250, apparently you have to nominate the bike you want and the reasons why then your licence is endorsed for that bike only while on learner / restricted.

Don't know how true this is maybe someone else out there knows more.......

Big Dog
9th July 2004, 16:30
@6'3" 150kgs I feel your pain.

Try some of the broader beam bikes before going and doing something illegal / fraudulent. A lot of naked bikes are a lot bigger than sport comparisons. eg 250 hornet, Ballus, comet etc are all good options. Similar in style to the vtr but a lot wider.

I am looking for a bike to teach my pillion on (I would need to be able to ride it comfortably too) and had a sit on a Hyusong Comet (the korean division of Kawasaki Heavy Industries), they are a shedload wider and better balanced than any of the sport bikes Red Baron had in stock.

Otherwise Keep your eyes open for a Kawasaki GPX 250 in the the inline four water cooled twin cam 16 valve (not the twin or the 8 valve) as these share the frame with the 500cc.

Holy Roller
28th January 2005, 06:57
I'm 6' 3" and not that I'd admit it in public weigh in at 120kg but I'm working on it true :cool:
While milking, I rode around around on an AG100 for a season in all weather.
I think that most bikes will be a bit on the small side but such is life when one is this size. My current bike is a bit small but handles the extra weight of a pillion or luggage quite well. Used to see a rather large guy riding a 50cc in AKL all that could be seen was a couple of tires sticking out end end of a sight not really meant to be seen, I'm sure you are not that big!
You will soon be looking at a bigger bike once the full licence is in your hand

Jonty
28th January 2005, 07:33
Isn't the GSX 250 built on a 400 frame? Could be one model to try in the mean time.

TonyB
28th January 2005, 08:19
Isn't the GSX 250 built on a 400 frame? Could be one model to try in the mean time.
My old FZR1000 gets mistaken for a GXS250 all the time. They look bloody near identical, right down to the gold wheels. Anyway, the point is they must be fairly big for a 250 for that to happen. Might be worth a look. Murphy's law states that you will get done for swapping things at the worst possible moment..

Paul in NZ
28th January 2005, 08:28
Get a 250cc trail bike. More leg room!

Paul N

sedge
28th January 2005, 08:42
I tried out all the sporty 250s when I was doing my license... Biggest I found was the ZXR250A from '89. I'm not a small bloke and it did me fine, cranked up the preload for plenty of seat height... Still not exactly the fastest bike having to haul my arse around but I didn't look too hilarious. (I hope)

As an aside, seat height on the ZXR 750 is actually heaps lower than the 250, the bike is 5 times as wide though.

Cheers,

Sedge.

MrMelon
28th January 2005, 08:47
.... but I didn't look too hilarious. (I hope)......

We were just telling you that. Didn't want to make you feel too bad about yourself! :laugh:

For an accurate representation of how it was, take a look at your avatar.

Big Dave
28th January 2005, 11:26
I started a thead before asking about whether my 6 ft 5 inch 125kg hulking mass of quivering whale blubber could fit on a 250 (i'm just a newbie to biking).
?

Big Dudes,
I'm 6-5 too. I got to 160kg's before deciding to do something about it.

Div 1 basketballer for 20 years and then the ankle wore out - kept eating like I was playing and boom - 160.

I'll be back to fightin' weight at around 110 in a few weeks time.
Go and see a Jenny Craig place. Really.
I really was a fat bugger who hid from the camera and thought I looked pretty ridiculous on my Trophy 1200 - the biggest sports tourer I could find.

12 months and 45kg later I've been on 3 Kiwi Rider covers and throw myself remorselessly at the camera.

The food is good, the support excellent and the whole thing is really rewarding.
You meet with a consultant - nice chics - once a week. They give you a guide with exercise (walking) and a planned menu.
Remove from freezer, bung in microwave, stick in gob. Get life back.
Well, that's how it happened for me anyway.

AFL footballer Mark 'Jacko' Jackson told me the same thing.

Regards
tall dave.

gman
28th January 2005, 19:56
ask blakamin he nos what to do.....ever heard of photo shop???.

Yes

Big Dave
28th January 2005, 20:54
ask blakamin he nos what to do.....ever heard of photo shop???.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=161795#
Yes

Good point - I can make photoshop do just about anything too.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/pcw_big.html
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/beast72.html
are the best .psd layouts I have done.

I can change bike's colours and that sort of thing too. But you'd have to ask nice.
I've also photoshopped a lot of bikes:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/origs/pages/bone_render1.htm
was on the cover of Twin eagle once too.

and there are some daytonas and stuff in that directory too
bd

riffer
28th January 2005, 21:10
Nice photoshop work Dave.

I too have used Photoshop for a while (actually since 1.5) - from back in the days before layers, when alpha channels were saved as separate files and you only had 1 undo … the young fellas just don't know how good they have it now.

I always wanted to do motorcycles, but somehow got stuck retouching Holdens for McCanns for a few years.

Still its more fun riding them than retouching them that's for sure.

Hope to see you on the road one day. :ride:

madboy
28th January 2005, 21:15
as soon as you get pulled by the cops and they query the vehicle, they can also access the cc rating if they ask. sometimes if it's part of the name, like Suzuki GSX250, well, duh, they're gonna figure it out pretty quick. then if they look at the stickers that don't match??? well, might as well drop trou and bite your gloves.

i haven't checked your profile so don't know if you're over 25 or not, but if you are you should do the CBTA course. took me from no bike licence to a full one inside 3 months. personally i bought the 400 at day one (literally!) i was allowed exemptions to ride it for the CBTA/licence courses, the other few thousand kays i rode during that time i just took my chances.

$400 and 25 demerit points every time you get pulled for a licence infringement... so theoretically on your learners you're cruising the mway following traffic at 100km/h on your 1000cc with no L plates and it's 10.30pm... $1600 and no licence in one hit. reality is, though, it's not likely they'd ping you for the whole lot. but it's a risk to consider.

i say do the CBTA if you can, otherwise buy a really farking fast bike and say a prayer before each ride.

avgas
28th January 2005, 21:19
Reality check. Cops don't give a toss about stickers and what they say, unless they happend to be into bikes.
Have to agree there, friend of mine got pulled over on his ZZR, cop asked him "So is this a Suzuki?" - Kawasaki written on bold on the tank, and fairings.
As for passing a 600 off as a 250, no.
And a good 250 will take a 200kg mass person to 100ks no worries.
Hell my 150 took me and a friend (about 160Kgs) to about 170kmh without too much effort

ZX12R Hoon
29th January 2005, 19:41
Not many people know this yet. Peter McIntosh, National President of Ulysses :first: has been working closely with ACC to have the rules changed, re the 250cc learners limit. He has been pushing the line that it should be based on the Weight to Power ratio of the bike. :yeah:
Think of it this way why limit a learner to a 250 which can go a hell of a lot faster than an old BSA500? The logic of this is setting in and changes are on the way. A list of bikes which fit under the Weight to power limit is being compiled now. Hopefully soon we will have a more sensible system. :wavey:

Jamezo
29th January 2005, 22:50
Not many people know this yet. Peter McIntosh, National President of Ulysses :first: has been working closely with ACC to have the rules changed, re the 250cc learners limit. He has been pushing the line that it should be based on the Weight to Power ratio of the bike. :yeah:
Think of it this way why limit a learner to a 250 which can go a hell of a lot faster than an old BSA500? The logic of this is setting in and changes are on the way. A list of bikes which fit under the Weight to power limit is being compiled now. Hopefully soon we will have a more sensible system. :wavey:

but, but, but, but that means learners won't be able to have 1337 NSR250's :disapint:

Dodgyiti
30th January 2005, 07:53
The problem is the cops aint stupid --they go round and read the rego lable
as soon as they do you're sprung.
The 250 lables might work for a cursury glance I suppose.
Um er well hypotheticly speaking it is possible that a gpz500 might have been licenced as a GPZ2500 by mistake and with 250 stickers could have been mistaken for a 250 even at a reg wof check--but of course i know noone who would do such a thing
Yep, a feasible plan.
Get a knackered 250 still on the books, and buy the larger CC model and whack the plates on it from the 250. The difference between a modern 250 and 600 is pretty small to the uneducated

XTC
30th January 2005, 08:19
I did the opposite. I put 250cc stickers on my C50. That alone was worth another 10km/h...

Storm
30th January 2005, 10:32
Should've painted it red and put a racing stripe on it. Good for another 10km/h each :Punk:

s.langham
30th January 2005, 18:07
heaps of people mistake my ZZR 250 for a bigger bike (only visible 250 is on the rego)
"so is that a 400 or a 650?"..... "muahahaha u just got done by a 250!!"

dunno wether it would fit (im a newby) but couldn't you get a 250 frame and chuck in the bigger motor without telling any1 (im sure i could squeese sumthing bigger in there...)

hobdar
5th February 2005, 14:57
mis-read the original post...shoot the noobie

marty
5th February 2005, 17:52
aprilia. rs250. says it all really. lumbered my 6'1" 105kg lard arse to 220k with regularity

marty
5th February 2005, 18:04
if it wasn't for the 2 exhausts........

Blakamin
5th February 2005, 18:15
aprilia. rs250. says it all really. lumbered my 6'1" 105kg lard arse to 220k with regularity
Had one screaming passed me on riverside highway in upper hutt today...went by so quick it coulda been a mille if it wasn't for the 2-smoker noise! (thank farq I was in barbie and not on the Duc or I woulda been shamed big-time)

avgas
5th February 2005, 19:04
why not a 150cc learners license?
give anyone 6 months on one of them and they learn so much without risking as much. Also, we have to be reasonable about restrictictions, i mean i sure dont want the cops pulling me over, to check bike model, size, hp, torque......as a 'random check'.
It should be a sense of community responsibility to patrol bike size for those that cant control themselves.
If all else fail, Darwins theorem.

marty
5th February 2005, 22:36
Had one screaming passed me on riverside highway in upper hutt today...went by so quick it coulda been a mille if it wasn't for the 2-smoker noise! (thank farq I was in barbie and not on the Duc or I woulda been shamed big-time)

oh the 250 is quick alright. faaaaaarkin quick. not as fast as my TL, but felt faster