PDA

View Full Version : The dirtiest job in the world

Pwalo
7th November 2006, 07:15
Is cleaning out behind your front sprocket casing. I used a whole can of CRC degreaser but for at least a short time it was pristine.

I'm sure that changing gears feels a bit smoother. My guess is that getting all the accumulated gunk means that the push rod can move with a bit less resistance (?).

I'm really glad that my better half didn't see the state of the newspaper that was under my bike after I'd finished the job.

Anyway if you're a sad retentive like myself and you've got nothing better to do it's something I'd recommend you do before you're bikes done 30K kilometres.

kickingzebra
7th November 2006, 10:19
Try using a solid metal instrument carefully to scrape the big lumps off, then try some de solv it, the citrus based stuff. Works brillo.

vifferman
7th November 2006, 10:26
Try using a solid metal instrument carefully to scrape the big lumps off, then try some de solv it, the citrus based stuff. Works brillo.
Indeed. :niceone:
I recommend a crowbar or jackhammer.:shit:

Seriously though, if you scrape most of the ChainSpooge out with a screwdriver, narrow spatula or whatever, it makes a big difference, as does warming up the ChainSpooge with a hot-air gun before attacking it with solvents.

XP@
7th November 2006, 10:27
or wait for the bike shop to do it when they put that new chain / sprocket set on for you.
edit: especially if you use a scotoiler with chainsaw oil!

Failing that if you remove the engine, put it in the washhouse sink and pour CRC all over it, the effects are much more spectacular!

You will be pleased to know my TA has now been cleaned 4 times in it's short life! that is once every 3000km's (about 10 times more often than the F650).
This is partially due to having a 2 1/2 year old daughter who wants to clean my bike almost every weekend!

cowpoos
7th November 2006, 10:28
Is cleaning out behind your front sprocket casing. I used a whole can of CRC degreaser but for at least a short time it was pristine.

I'm sure that changing gears feels a bit smoother. My guess is that getting all the accumulated gunk means that the push rod can move with a bit less resistance (?).

I'm really glad that my better half didn't see the state of the newspaper that was under my bike after I'd finished the job.

Anyway if you're a sad retentive like myself and you've got nothing better to do it's something I'd recommend you do before you're bikes done 30K kilometres.
could be worse.....at least your not trying to get dry weetbix off a bowl!!!

kickingzebra
7th November 2006, 10:32
dry weetbix has no comparison to last weeks curry mate. I use a sledgie and wrecking bar on that too...

cowpoos
7th November 2006, 10:34
dry weetbix has no comparison to last weeks curry mate. I use a sledgie and wrecking bar on that too...
good point....but I have to ask....if ya curry sticks to your plate like that....what does it do to your arsehole? you use a crow bar and sledgie on that too?

kickingzebra
7th November 2006, 10:36
Rimming with vaseline, prevents chafing and stickage

Postie
7th November 2006, 10:36
This is my sump last week, before going back on, wasn't like it had solid grime or anything, just bits of clutch friction material and old oil tarnish

cowpoos
7th November 2006, 10:44
Rimming with vaseline, prevents chafing and stickage
thanks....my life is now enriched for that...

Motu
7th November 2006, 11:19
So you haven't done a CV boot on your car yet? - you don't know what dirty is! Come and work for me for a week,you'll cry when you see what your hands look like after working on a diesel.

Pwalo
7th November 2006, 11:58
[QUOTE=Motu;815110]So you haven't done a CV boot on your car yet? - you don't know what dirty is!

I watched my brother in law do that. I'm not that stupid.

aer0
7th November 2006, 21:15
So you haven't done a CV boot on your car yet? - you don't know what dirty is! Come and work for me for a week,you'll cry when you see what your hands look like after working on a diesel.

CV boots are messy as hell!! but dont smell half as bad as gearbox oil! NEVER get that stuff in your hair! *puke*

BNZ
14th November 2006, 14:24

Different bowl :sick:

McJim
14th November 2006, 14:46
That's a relief - I cleaned a load of oily shite out from there the other week and wondered if it was supposed to be like that.

When I got new tyres they told me I was putting enough lube on the chain coz it made their hands manky.

Donor
14th November 2006, 18:28

Getting your overall sleeve snagged while taking an oil filter off a Homy piece of crap diesel van on a hoist, and having a litre of 20,000km old oil run down your arm, side and into your boot... now THAT'S fun...

Took a week and a steelo pad to get the stain off me...

paturoa
14th November 2006, 18:47
kerosene is the best and wont eat your seals - get a stiff brush and a bucket to go under - scrubber!

imdying
17th November 2006, 19:25
kerosene is the best and wont eat your seals - get a stiff brush and a bucket to go under - scrubber!Agreed.. a can of degreaser seems like an expensive waste compared to excellent job kero does. I normally wash that area when I clean the bike, saves it building up.

TLDV8
17th November 2006, 20:30
Kerosene / Paintbrush / CRC 808 :niceone: ....... Some degreasers will also attack paint..fwiw

It doesn't hurt to put an old clutch lever bellows over the clutch pushrod to protect the seal from grit mixed with chain lube.

CV's are no worse that working under a ships engine deck plates or the $hithouse holding tank..not to mention the pan conveyors at the steelmill.

The TL is a little different from when i first got it..... Bought,ridden from the North Shore to home and stripped.

oldrider
24th November 2006, 16:48
CV's are no worse that working under a ships engine deck plates or the $hithouse holding tank..

What ones are/were you on? John.

TLDV8
27th November 2006, 21:21
What ones are/were you on? John.

I only did repairs in port,John...Only sea trial was after some major repairs on a trader out of Tuvalu.

This was around the time of the first America's Cup...... I alternated between container ships (Argentina Star,Berlin Express etc scrapped now i believe)..fishing boats,island traders and luxury craft ..The Westfield mall folk..custom install on Connors gin palace (infact one of his billionaire mates)..even the sea going tug of John Lewis (The guy sent packing when he got busted by customs )..plus being lucky enouugh to work with the fitter crew's..Only Boilermaker allowed to bowl into the machine shop and do my own turning for jobs < privileged indeed.
I still remember one ship that was getting a crank journal grind to get it up to that place in India ? where they run them up on the beach to be cut up.
19000 hp at 99rpm..21000hp at 101rpm..2 rpm and 2000 hp woo hoo.
Heavy ship repairs :rockon:..... A while back i saw the ad for the Black Boats over in Europe and spotted the cradles i made around 2001.....Anyone jumping off the harbour bridge,one guess who did the links that hold the bungy pod to the bridge :laugh: