PDA

View Full Version : Who's in PC retail?

Sniper
7th November 2006, 09:54
Hey guys. Im looking at moving from the laptop to a desktop at home and Im after someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to valuing my laptop.

Cheers

Lias
7th November 2006, 10:05
PC retail is pretty broad.. alot of places dont do second hand gear, so they have no idea about the aftermarket value. Also simply selling 2nd hand PC's doesnt necesarily give you the knowledge of the used market, because 2nd hand dealers tend to pay very low prices, and sell for quite high prices.. The fair private sale value is generally somewhere in the middle.

Your best bet is to talk to someone who is an authorised buyer at a 2nd hand PC shop.

TerminalAddict
7th November 2006, 10:17
or start surfing tardme for similar items, to get an idea of what the market thinks its worth

Wasp
7th November 2006, 10:18
I work for a company that deals soley in laptops.

Just sold a Satellite A10 (3years old) for $550 (2.5ghz celeron 40gb hdd 15" screen 512mb pc2700 ram)

and just bought a Satellite A80 (1 year old) for $425+gst (1.8ghz pentium M 60gb hdd 15" screen 512mb pc2700 ram)

bad news for you im sorry but laptops just hit the deck. (we flood the market with our end of lease stuff ;))

crashe
7th November 2006, 10:20
Sniper - I will take it off your hands for FREE mate.... :whistle:

Cos I am needing a laptop too.

pervert
7th November 2006, 10:23
Fuck yes, end of lease Laptops have destroyed the second-hand market's value...its great!!! :rockon:

Sniper
7th November 2006, 10:26
Problem with mine is it was a high end buisness machine which Im not willing to let go of for cheap and cheerful.

bobsmith
7th November 2006, 10:43
When you say high end business machine what do you mean? What are the specs? High end Gaming laptops have been seen to fetch fairly high prices but it all depends on specs. As for sale, you would be able to get much more selling privately.

[edit] - by high end business machine you mean fast processor with no decent graphics perf to back it up I'm afraid you'd probably have to wait and hope that someone who doesn't know too much gets wooed by the processor spec... Mind you there are a lot more of those around on trademe than people who actually know what they're talking about so it might turn out better for you after all.

Sniper
7th November 2006, 10:50
When you say high end business machine what do you mean? What are the specs? High end Gaming laptops have been seen to fetch fairly high prices but it all depends on specs. As for sale, you would be able to get much more selling privately.

[edit] - by high end business machine you mean fast processor with no decent graphics perf to back it up I'm afraid you'd probably have to wait and hope that someone who doesn't know too much gets wooed by the processor spec... Mind you there are a lot more of those around on trademe than people who actually know what they're talking about so it might turn out better for you after all.

Cheers mate.

Wasp
7th November 2006, 10:53
what is it exactly sniper? a make and model will suffice (part number if its a toshiba please)

Sniper
7th November 2006, 10:56
what is it exactly sniper? a make and model will suffice (part number if its a toshiba please)

http://www.nec-online.co.nz/Products/Product_Details.asp?CID=9&RangeID=15&CatID=30&ModID=165

It was something I was told to be great when I bought it,damn sales people and being young and stupid. Mind you it was 2 years ago now. Still retails for $3000+ in some stores.

Wasp
7th November 2006, 11:22
sorry mate, same cpu, ram, hdd and gfx chipset as my A80 - $425+gst

differences are:
+ better optical drive
+ gigabit lan
+ 1 more usb port
+ fingerprint reader

You'll get between $500 and $1k for it.

Whynot
7th November 2006, 11:37
honestly .... why dont you just keep it.
Second hand pcs/laptops are never going to be worth anything, but it will still be a fine, usable machine for a good while yet ....

pervert
7th November 2006, 11:40
honestly .... why dont you just keep it.
Second hand pcs/laptops are never going to be worth anything, but it will still be a fine, usable machine for a good while yet ....

It is a "high end buisness machine" though!!!

Sniper
7th November 2006, 11:43
It is a "high end buisness machine" though!!!

You are a regular little smart arse for a newbie arent you? You read my post #11

Paul in NZ
7th November 2006, 11:44
Another fine NEC product mate....:innocent:

Whynot
7th November 2006, 11:45
You are a regular little smart arse for a newbie arent you? You read my post #11

he has a point ......
i think you meant to say "It was a high end business machine"
:innocent:

Sniper
7th November 2006, 11:47
Screw you guys, Im going to go make some pie!!!

P/T (You are right Whynot, I should have placed was)

pervert
7th November 2006, 11:54
I did read post #11, which lead to me making my "smart-arsed comment".

It's an NEC for a start, and 1.73GHz of raw Pentium power hardly makes it a business machine, let alone high-end.

Having 12,000 posts doesn't mean "newbies" can't take the piss out of you, it just means you need to get out more...

I'm done.

Sniper
7th November 2006, 12:00

It's an NEC for a start, and 1.73GHz of raw Pentium power hardly makes it a business machine, let alone high-end.
I self taught myself programming and networking, so forgive me for screwing up and relaying what I was told 2 years ago.

Having 12,000 posts doesn't mean "newbies" can't take the piss out of you, it just means you need to get out more...
I never said you cant take the piss. And yes I do know I need to get out more, but since the bulk of my KB postings are done during work hours, it really means I should go on holiday

I'm done.

That was quick, you were off to such a promising start

Lias
7th November 2006, 12:09
I'll give you five dorrah for it dude.

Sniper
7th November 2006, 12:12
Ok, Im an idiot, I should have researched before posting. I was just putting out what I was told 2 years ago before I thought about it :slap:

TerminalAddict
7th November 2006, 12:17
fi dolla fity

I think Lias is starting a auction ;)

pervert
7th November 2006, 12:17
Ok, Im an idiot, I should have researched before posting. I was just putting out what I was told 2 years ago before I thought about it :slap:

At least you can admit that , plenty of people would be still arguing how valuable it is.

People seem to get very upset when told their near-new (read 2-3 years old) item is worth 1/10th of the original purchase price. But that's technology...

Just as a side-note, if you can program and network...shouldn't you have some idea about what PC specs mean, and what is current?

Lias
7th November 2006, 12:27
fi dolla fity

I think Lias is starting a auction ;)

7 fiddy! 10 chars

TerminalAddict
7th November 2006, 12:30
'levin dolah

Sniper
7th November 2006, 12:46
Just as a side-note, if you can program and network...shouldn't you have some idea about what PC specs mean, and what is current?

I never kept up to date with those as they werent important to me. Thats why Im studying A+ and Network+ as well as MCSE right now. To open up the market as well as further my knowledge

Paul in NZ
7th November 2006, 12:52

I'm done.

Never had a problem with my NEC machine...

Then again I do work for NEC and don't sell computers so I'm biased...

Lias
7th November 2006, 12:56
I never kept up to date with those as they werent important to me. Thats why Im studying A+ and Network+ as well as MCSE right now. To open up the market as well as further my knowledge

Unless I'm mistaken you have little/no actual realworld IT work experience. Be careful not to overqualify yourself before you get some of that real world experience, because despite the shortage of IT staff many employers are hesitant to hire people with quals and no experience, more so with people with LOTS of quals and no experience.

and I bid 13 dorrah.

pervert
7th November 2006, 13:02
Unless I'm mistaken you have little/no actual realworld IT work experience. Be careful not to overqualify yourself before you get some of that real world experience, because despite the shortage of IT staff many employers are hesitant to hire people with quals and no experience, more so with people with LOTS of quals and no experience.

Too true, there are so many people in the field with an array of degrees etc under their belt, yet they can't even turn a screwdriver, let alone diagnose a fault...

Sniper
7th November 2006, 13:03

and I bid 13 dorrah.

You are true

Thats the problem. I cant get any bloody job as IT tech cause no one wants someone with little skills and no qualifications. But over qualifying yourself can lead to hassels too.

Bloody catches.

Who wants to hire meeeeee. I have photos of you with your secretary, give me more money

Dilligaf
7th November 2006, 13:08
can I just add that if you do flick it off, get the hard drive 'cleaned' by someone who really knows what they are doing.... especially if you have used it for business, banking etc.

Hitcher
7th November 2006, 13:18
We're shortly going to upgrade our laptop at home to a desktop. Once the hard drive is reformatted, it's going in the wheeliebin. Even if it is a Toshiba.

pervert
7th November 2006, 13:21
We're shortly going to upgrade our laptop at home to a desktop. Once the hard drive is reformatted, it's going in the wheeliebin. Even if it is a Toshiba.

Haha, I hope you don't expect a single reformat to erase all that personal data.

TerminalAddict
7th November 2006, 13:22
I have similar problems with emplyment, 'cept I've 14 years experience and basically no quals ...

fi'teen dorrah

TerminalAddict
7th November 2006, 13:23
Haha, I hope you don't expect a single reformat to erase all that personal data.

while 1; cat /dev/null > /dev/$dev; done

then go have a cup of coffee ;)

pervert
7th November 2006, 13:25
while 1; cat /dev/null > /dev/$dev; done

then go have a cup of coffee ;)

Haha, geek...:yes:

crashe
7th November 2006, 14:02
Oi you lot... I have first dibs on all the laptops that are going in this thread........ :whistle:

I put in my bid 'FREE' :innocent: :scooter:

ManDownUnder
7th November 2006, 14:04
Oi you lot... I have first dibs on all the laptops that are going in this thread........ :whistle:

I put in my bid 'FREE' :innocent: :scooter:

No no no - you can have first dibs on... hmmm... cruisers?

Or did you want something a little more worthwhile?

crashe
7th November 2006, 14:07
No no no - you can have first dibs on... hmmm... cruisers?

Or did you want something a little more worthwhile?

well what are you like at bending aliminumim (sp) and pot riviting?

I have a nice piece here that needs to be bent into shape and put on the back of my bike so that I can re attach my rego plate......

Tis all cut to shape....... just needs putting on... prevably with black rivits..

and back on topic...... re laptops..