PDA

View Full Version : Best places to try on boots in Christchurch?

Ghost Lemur
7th November 2006, 17:00
Well having looked around at the boots available in NZ (and worse all the cool boots we'll never get to see), I've pretty much decided on the Sidi Discovery.

Yes their expensive, but they're also the best do-it-all boot available. The alternatives I've been looking at are either not available in NZ, Forma, SetUp, Hebo, etc. Or not suitable.

So now my next problem is last thing I want to do is buy a pair of illfitting boots. As these will be my first pair I've got no background info to go on as far as size, etc goes.

Obviously the best thing to do would be to pop down to my local and try on all there different size Discovery's until I find the right size fit, even compair them to the other options that are available in NZ (Gaerne Balance). Unfortunately this is Christchurch, New Zealand so no where stocks the Discovery's let alone the Discovery's and Balance.

So what are my alternative options?

I downloaded a sizing chart. My foot is 250mm, which would make me a Euro 38??? But I generally wear a 9 or 10 shoe? I also recall when I went and tried on other Sidi boots I was a 42 or 44 or something.

Any advice on how to go about working out exactly what size I am? Do all sidi's fit the same (ie If I'm a 42 in the Corsa's, a 42 in Discovery will fit perfect).

If there's anywhere in Christchurch that actually stocks Trials boots, I've yet to find them.

miSTa
7th November 2006, 19:35
Depending on how much of a hurry your in, you can try my size 43 Sidi Raptors...

far queue
7th November 2006, 19:38
You do make life difficult for yourself don't you ... however if you really have your heart set on these, you could ask Mr Sensible where he got his Sidi's from and then go and bother that shop. If you're not going to buy something local and try before you buy, then you're just going to have to take the chance.

far queue
7th November 2006, 19:40
Depending on how much of a hurry your in, you try my size 43 Sidi Raptors...See, what did I tell you :yes: Bloody people sneaking in and posting while I'm typing :innocent:

miSTa
7th November 2006, 20:06
Yeah, yeah, whatever...:lol:

I got my Raptors from Canterbury Rides, Rod give me a pretty good deal on them.

cooneyr
8th November 2006, 12:11
Yeah, yeah, whatever...:lol:

I got my Raptors from Canterbury Rides, Rod give me a pretty good deal on them.

I think sportzone also had some when I was there last???

I just wear a pair of Fly 805 boots. As long as they work i.e. protect you feet I dont reacon it is worth the hassle of getting fancy boots for zillions of dollars. Not like we wear them every day and have to walk 25km a day! But each to their own.

R

laRIKin
8th November 2006, 14:49
Most trails guys get their boots from the Nelson area.
I got mine from Cook's years a good.
http://www.trialsnz.com/RunScript.asp?p=ASP\Pg0.asp

I have size 11 USA or 46 EU in Gaerne 10's.
Also size 45EU in SIDI (MX), and size 40 EU in Alpinestars trials boots you could try on.
As you can see, 3 different sizes and they all fit me, the size 40 are a bit on the tighter size as I only wear light socks in them.

I do spend a bit of money on my boots, because they are like a helmet for your feet.
I have hit stuff at speed with my boots and have been numb from the knee down, but have not broken my foot or leg.
To me anyway good boots are a good investment as they hit a kick all sorts of crap.
Buy boots with a bit of toe room, so if you kick or hit something your toes do not hit the end of the boots and break (if unlucky) or just get real sore.
I test this buy kicking the back of the other boot or solid object.

And a lot of off road boots (especially MX boots) are not made for walking in, trust me I have seen a few people with blisters after walking a broken bike out of the bush.

cooneyr
8th November 2006, 15:36
I do spend a bit of money on my boots, because they are like a helmet for your feet.
I have hit stuff at speed with my boots and have been numb from the knee down, but have not broken my foot or leg.
To me anyway good boots are a good investment as they hit a kick all sorts of crap.
Buy boots with a bit of toe room, so if you kick or hit something your toes do not hit the end of the boots and break (if unlucky) or just get real sore.
I test this buy kicking the back of the other boot or solid object.

And a lot of off road boots (especially MX boots) are not made for walking in, trust me I have seen a few people with blisters after walking a broken bike out of the bush.

I stand corrected re protection. As for blisters - dont break the bike or get harder feet :lol:

R

laRIKin
8th November 2006, 17:45
As for blisters - dont break the bike or get harder feet :lol:

R

Now matey where is the fun in that.
Crashing and break downs in the mud is part of the fun and any crash you can limp away from is a great story. (that will be embellish to point that will not be recognised by anyone that was there)

And great for your mates to take the piss and talk about for weeks or until the next crash or break down.
Until then you are owned.:yes:

Ghost Lemur
8th November 2006, 21:30
Thanks guys.

Considered actual MX boots. Went to Superior after work. They are definitely not what I want. While I can see how they'd be good offroad, and they're "cheaper" than the Sidi option. I end up spending more as I'd need a second pair of boots for day to day use. Not to mention how uncomfortable.

From trying on the MX boots I found I'm a 43/44. Tired on 44's and they fitted well but there may have been a bit too much room in the toe, unfortunately there weren't a pair of 43's to try.
Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it to this Saturdays ride (GF - woops old habit - Wife's working and I'd need to save brownie points.
So this weekend I'll do the shop crawl try on as many different styles of Sidi's I can to get an educated guess what size will suit me best. Then I'll just make sure the shop I buy them for understands that I wont buy before I try. Would be best if they brought in two sizes for me if I have some doubt as to fit, but will have to discuss this with them and see if they're will to do this (and if the distributor is willing to come to the party - or will make the shop buy both pairs).

cooneyr
9th November 2006, 06:58
Now matey where is the fun in that.
Crashing and break downs in the mud is part of the fun and any crash you can limp away from is a great story. (that will be embellish to point that will not be recognised by anyone that was there)

I'll have to get FQ to give me some more tips on how to crash then aye:dodge::lol:

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it to this Saturdays ride (GF - woops old habit - Wife's working and I'd need to save brownie points.
So this weekend I'll do the shop crawl try on as many different styles of Sidi's I can to get an educated guess what size will suit me best.

Wrong thread but no worries. See you some other time. Good luck with the boot shopping. Remember that leather boots soften over time and will become a lot more comfortable. The boots with lots of plastic are another thing though. My leather mountain climbing boots were absolute killers untill I broke them in then they were great. My plastic climbing boots still give me blisters and rub the skin of my shins.

Cheers
R

Flyingpony
9th November 2006, 08:13
Was also looking at boots recently in Chch and feel rather disappointed. Bike shops tend to stock more helmets than boots, more helmets than gear (jackets/pants), and even more gloves than boots.

Sportzone stood out because that had a whole wall full of helmets but I don't actually remember seeing any boots in their store and as for protective gear, think there was only a small display of items. Even Budget stocks more protective gear than them!

During my wonder around, did find some reasonably priced boots at Budget for $160-170 but they didn't look to be any better than gym shoes. So I'll stick to my working boots for now. Well, that concludes this years Christmas shopping for bike gear and I didn't buy anything because shops don't stock a good range, ignoring the point of being affordable.

far queue
9th November 2006, 09:44
I'll have to get FQ to give me some more tips on how to crash then aye:dodge::lol:What do you mean? I haven’t fallen off for ages now, however ... when I parked up at Lake Rotoiti to take a photo on Sunday, the side stand settled into the stones a bit and then seemed stable enough, so I stepped away and the stand then sunk all the rest of the way down. It was a slow descent until the bike was lying down with the stand buried, and I wasn’t on the bike at the time, so technically not a crash :bleh: I took all the gear off it, picked the bike up, put a stick under the stand, reloaded all the gear and took the photo.

Anyway, if you don’t come off occasionally, then you’re not trying hard enough :bleh:

laRIKin
9th November 2006, 19:15
I'll have to get FQ to give me some more tips on how to crash then aye:dodge::lol:
Cheers
R

I was going to say that. :dodge: :corn:

far queue
9th November 2006, 19:33
And great for your mates to take the piss and talk about for weeks ...Don't you mean months :yawn:

Ghost Lemur
11th November 2006, 16:38
Damn this great weather. I'm so jealous not to have been riding today.

On the positive side of things. I went to Canterbury Rides. To my surprise they had a pair of Disco's in stock. Only one pair, and size 45's (too big). But it did give me my first chance to see the boots in the flesh. They look just as gorgeous (does calling motorcycle boots "gorgeous" make me sound ghey or what) in the flesh as they do in the pictures. Tried on the 45's, as I say they were to big, but gave me an idea of what proper fitting one's would be like. I'm truely in love. Had a good close up look at them. Between the soles, buckles, sticking, attention to detail, etc, etc, it becomes understandable why people rave about these boots even at the price they are.

Next we went to Sportzone Suzuki. I knew that they wouldn't have any Disco's, but they do have a large (size) range of Sidi road boots. I tried on a few different sizes and am a bit closer to a conclusion on size. The 43's were tight (in thin socks), but didn't squish my feet. The 44's had a bit more room and were immediately comfortable.

So I've narrowed it to the a possibility of either. Still a bit unsure as to which size would be best. I might call the guy at CantRides and see if he's willing to bring in both sizes for me to try before I buy. If he does I'll pay the extra $10 they quoted me over the other bikes shops. It'd also go a ways to show him they he was smart stocking the Discovery's even if it was just one pair.

So all in all a productive day.

The Boys had fun going from one bike shop to the next drooling over their peewee machines. Should have heard Sebastians exclaimation of awe when (forgotten his name, owner of Caterbury Rides) son told him that he had his own motorcycle.
Both boys are itching to get out there, but it's going to have to be a bit of a ways off yet. Got to somehow work out how to afford to indulge their (hopefully longterm) passion.
It's good though as they're both getting really good at riding their bikes due to being told that they have to be able to their bicycles well if they want motorbikes.
It's also good that they have a factidious(sp?) attention to safety gear. You should hear them in the car if we drive pass someone on a bicycle or motorbike who isn't wearing "the appropriate" protection.

All in all a productive day. Hope you guys who went for the ride had fun. Looking forward to reading about it.

far queue
11th November 2006, 17:42
it becomes understandable why people rave about these boots even at the price they are.So, how much are they?

Ghost Lemur
11th November 2006, 17:55
So, how much are they?

$500 or $510 at Canterbury Rides.