PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil-change tools

Mole_C
7th November 2006, 17:13
Well for the last few days ive been taking my bike apart and realising i don't have the tools i need so been out and about buying bits and pieces and i have finally managed to get the forks off. I now realise that i don't have the tools i need for the fork oil change and either have to buy some, make do with another tool or take them into the shop. I would really like to learn to do it myself so either buying or making do would be best. Keeping in mind im a poor student do you guys have any ideas on what i could use to substitute for the tools needed or where to get them and costs?

Fork spring compressor
Fork piston rod puller
Fork oil level gauge

I need those 3. I was thinking i could use a syringe for the oil level gauge but not sure on the other 2.

Any help would be great

Jonny Rotten
7th November 2006, 17:33
geezz what are you doin...changing the oil or changing the seals?

just pour the old oil out of the forks and pour some new shit in.....make sure you get the right amount.....

and some bikes you can use transmition fluid ....or so im told

Jonny Rotten
7th November 2006, 17:35
but i dont know what im talking about...best ask a macaninc

TLDV8
7th November 2006, 18:03
It depends if it is a cartridge fork which you need to bleed...The level gauge can be as simple as a wooden dowel with the height marked off...Removing excess oil can be as ghetto as putting a tube into the oil and putting your finger over the end then removing the tube...A bleeder tool can be a suitable nut to fit the damper rod thread with a tube attached so the cartridge can be pumped to expel any air...A spring compressor can be a suitable piece of pipe with handles and two bolts to fit into the preload spacer (Take a look on the Traxxion suspension site for idea's)....
I am not sure about the differences between USD and RWU cartridge forks.

If it is an older conventional fork then is is much easier depending on if you wanted to strip the fork further to clean the internals.Most dampers are held by a simple capscrew in the bottom of the fork lower.

dhunt
7th November 2006, 18:04
Nah to change fork oil you don't need any of those.

To compress the forks just use a block of wood for a lever and a socket to sit on top of the forks.

To measure the fork oil I just bought a measuring container from some plastics place but didn't end up using it. Just measure the level of the oil from the top of the forks (I used a brazing rod or something and then measured it). Your manual should give you the correct distance. The most important thing is to get these both the same.

I'm not really sure about the piston puller thing - I'm sure you could find a substitute for that, Depends what it looks like for your bike.

The Stranger
8th November 2006, 10:21
Well for the last few days ive been taking my bike apart and realising i don't have the tools i need so been out and about buying bits and pieces and i have finally managed to get the forks off. I now realise that i don't have the tools i need for the fork oil change and either have to buy some, make do with another tool or take them into the shop. I would really like to learn to do it myself so either buying or making do would be best. Keeping in mind im a poor student do you guys have any ideas on what i could use to substitute for the tools needed or where to get them and costs?

Fork spring compressor
Fork piston rod puller
Fork oil level gauge

I need those 3. I was thinking i could use a syringe for the oil level gauge but not sure on the other 2.

Any help would be great

If you would like a hand you can come around tomorrow (Thursday) or Saturday and use my tools if you like. Haven't done a set of Kawasaki forks but have had a couple of sets of Honda ones apart and a set of Yamaha ones apart.
If you have a manual for oil volume or quantity and weight we should be sweet. Just made up a spring compresor last time, Some don't need one though.
You may want to check the price of seals too. If they are not too bad then maybe do them whilst it is apart?

PM me if you like.

Mole_C
9th November 2006, 12:35
Well with Cans help we managed to get it done :yes: Thanks a lot mate. I asked the shop when i went buy to get my seals and they said that the levels were fine and it felt all good :2thumbsup:

sefer
13th November 2006, 18:27
I did both my seals (one twice) without any of the 'needed' tools.

I used a bit of hard, shaped plastic as the Fork spring compressor (just a square bit of hard plastic with a 1cm wide 1 1/2 cm long section taken from the middle, look in the manual, there's a picture that'll fill in the blanks)

No need for the piston puller at all, just use your hands. Tie a bit of string or fishing line around the top if you want to make it easier to pull out initially.

Fork oil level gauge - the only think that might be useful, but if you empty the fork properly and measure out the oil correctly you don;t really need it.