PDA

View Full Version : A question of speed...........

Pogo2
7th November 2006, 18:29
......not so much as warp speed but more every day speeds?

Since buying my T-Rex 150 (4 stroke) I have been a tad disappointed with its speed range.

The manufacturers website says that it produces X hp at 7250 rpm. So I am assuming that 7250 rpm is the redline range. The scooters tacho goes to 10,000 rpm but does not have a redline area on the dial.

At 6000 - 6200 rpm I get about 60 odd KPH so it leaves me about 1000 rpm to play with. I have always been a fan of big engines turning slowly rather than small engines wringing their guts out (Gee I miss my Beemer!) but I am getting used to it. For this reason I decided to get a 150cc engine rather than anything smaller.

What do you think I can reasonably get out of my scooter without caning it to a premature death? One UK website suggested about 50-55mph

BTW if I had brought say a FXR150 or similar what sorts of speeds do you think I would have obtained from that?

Impart your wisdom oh wise ones! (and thanks)

Mr. Peanut
7th November 2006, 18:30
You should be able to get about 110 easy, with a bit of tweaking. Wring the crap out of it.

FXR 150 gets about 140km/h.

Ixion
7th November 2006, 18:32
Are they automatic ?

merv
7th November 2006, 18:33
Usually peak power is somewhat short of the redline so I'd say its safe up to at least 8,500rpm anyway. I'm guessing you could hold it wide open all day and you wouldn't break it because it probably hasn't got enough power to over-rev anyway against the wind.

Pogo2
7th November 2006, 18:35
Are they automatic ?

Hi Ixion

Yes they are auto. Bike idles at about 1900rpm and transmission engages at 3000rpm with cruise (ha ha) at about 6000rpm.

Waylander
7th November 2006, 18:39
Usually peak power is somewhat short of the redline so I'd say its safe up to at least 8,500rpm anyway. I'm guessing you could hold it wide open all day and you wouldn't break it because it probably hasn't got enough power to over-rev anyway against the wind.
Killed my first set of two wheels (50cc 2-stroke sccoter) that way, so yes you can over-rev.

Mr. Peanut
7th November 2006, 19:13
My SJ125 did not have a tacho, had it done I probably would have been more sympathetic.

Pretty much thrashed it from day one, throttle to the stop. I think the safe maximum is just before the point where fuel consumption doubles....

I didn't seem to do it much harm.