PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Ride. Nelson over the Bryants? Come and join me?

TheTourist
8th November 2006, 08:07
Hi
I am from the UK, doing an adventure ride round this magnificent country of yours.

I am heading to the South Island this Friday 10th Nov.

I would like to meet riders to ride some of the back roads, gravel tracks and 4x4 roads in the next 4-8 weeks.

I have one particular trip I want to try in the next week or 10 days. From Nelson, over the Bryants and then Rai Forest and back... if that is even possible. I have only looked at maps so could do with some pointers if that route is going to get me into trouble.

I am riding an Africa Twin which has its limitations but I can push it to its limits.

I want to do all the passes and anything which is off the beaten track. So drop me a mail or text (021 022 99436).

Recent pics posted on my blog at
http://www.wideboyracer.co.uk/gallery/

Hope to meet some of you guys soon
Regards
Dan

Ruralman
8th November 2006, 10:16
Hi
I am from the UK, doing an adventure ride round this magnificent country of yours.

I would like to meet riders to ride some of the back roads, gravel tracks and 4x4 roads in the next 4-8 weeks.

I have one particular trip I want to try in the next week or 10 days. From Nelson, over the Bryants and then Rai Forest and back... if that is even possible. I have only looked at maps so could do with some pointers if that route is going to get me into trouble.

I am riding an Africa Twin which has its limitations but I can push it to its limits.

I want to do all the passes and anything which is off the beaten track. So drop me a mail or text (021 022 99436).

Recent pics posted on my blog at
http://www.wideboyracer.co.uk/gallery/

Hope to meet some of you guys soon
Regards
Dan

Hi Dan, let me know when you will get down to Otago - hopefully Oldrider will look at this as well, because there is a great ride between his place and my place and is the weather is Ok we could alter our previous routes to include the Old Dunstan Trail as well (you been through there John? - I've done it in y 4WD car a couple of times). Cheers Bruce

Ghost Lemur
8th November 2006, 11:38
There's certainly an abundance of rides in the South Island to choose from. Sure a couple of the Nelson Crew can show you around.

far queue
8th November 2006, 21:16

I would like to meet riders to ride some of the back roads, gravel tracks and 4x4 roads in the next 4-8 weeks.When are you planning to be in the Christchurch/Canterbury area, and what plans do you have while here?

TheTourist
8th November 2006, 22:09
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

FarQ: My plans are flexible. I definitely expect to be in Christchurch around the 9th December for a couple of weeks to see friends, but may be passing that way earlier.

To any and all respondents: if you are willing to get together for some rides, email with your location and I will be in contact when I am in the area.

I have no time pressure, so it is hard to plan exact dates. Just seeing where the road takes me....

Regards
Dan

warewolf
9th November 2006, 08:23
G'day Dan,

Lots of info in this thread: Maitai Rally Adventure Ride 3-5/11/06 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36339)

Unfortunately I won't be able to come out and play this weekend, and then I'm away for a couple of weeks. But have a read of the above thread and feel free to ask questions! Sounds like a great holiday.

Ruralman
9th November 2006, 08:27
have a look at this thread for a gathering of KB'rs on the weekend of 9-10 Dec. There is some fantastic riding in this area and will be a good chance to meet up with some of the southern members
cheers
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37622

far queue
9th November 2006, 10:04
FarQ: My plans are flexible. I definitely expect to be in Christchurch around the 9th December for a couple of weeks to see friends, but may be passing that way earlier.At this stage I'm available the weekend prior (2+3/12) to go for a ride with you, and some of the other locals may come along too. On the Sat I'll need to be back in town by 3pm for the KB Xmas BBQ, which you may also want to come along to and meet the local KB'ers.

Lots of info in this thread: Maitai Rally Adventure Ride 3-5/11/06 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36339)Although I just rode this, I didn't mention it because I only have knowledge of the bits I rode and figured you or one of the other Nelsonians would hop in with more answers/suggestions than I could give.

Ruralman
16th November 2006, 20:47
I'm quite keen to do the loop from here which would include the Dunstan Trail over the Rock and Pillar range, followed by the road over past lake Onslow and down to Millers flat and then back home via SH8. Got a mate here keen to do the ride as well and an ideal time might be straight after the KB egt together at Otamatata on the 9th DEc.
I'd imagine Oldrider would be prett y interested as well (?? John) so we could meet up at Clarkes Junction and head off from there - or start at our place and do it in reverse and end up at Clarkes Junction. It will be quite weather dependant, especially without knobblies as some sections of the roads are dirt/clay and get very greasy when wet, and we get up over 3500 feet asl

TheTourist
17th November 2006, 15:07
Thanks so much for all the responses.

I am keen to do whatever I can and to meet up with any and all of you. My timings have altered slightly because I have just managed to get some work. This will mean I am available for the Nelson/Bryant Range trip this Saturday 18th from 2 pm. or on the Sunday. I will be moving on from Picton the following weekend (Sat 26th).

Arrival in Christchurch may be in time for the 9th, but probably not the 2nd...

Sorry to be unpredictable but such is life on the road and a working holiday visa!

Thanks again and keep in touch everyone/

Dan

TheTourist
29th November 2006, 13:56
Hi guys,
My previous plans have changed I am on the road around Greymouth today, heading east to CC for tonight.

Interested to do some adventure riding out of CC, maybe Saturday (unless anyone is free Thurs/Fri). Any of the previously discussed plans for 2nd Dec still on? Will probably have to head back to Picton for the monday morning. Then heading back to CC for 9th Dec. Will be based there for a couple weeks.

So, I have three requests.
1. Anyone want to ride some 4x4 tracks or something?
2. Anyone able to offer short term accomodation please?
3. If there is any work available in CC area then let me know. I'll do anything (within reason!) for cash to keep me on the road.

Might not have access to a PC for the next 48 hrs so please call or text: 021 022 99436

Thanks guys. Look forward to meeting some of you soon.

Dan

Transalper
29th November 2006, 22:26
OK, I can ride Saturday up 'till about 3pm (then got a Birthday to attend) and I think Sunday is free. Friday after 4pm might be ok, but doesn't give much time for an adventure.
I guess one question would be what you think of as a 4x4 track (as in how much you like being challenged or possibly picking up your bike) or are you thinking more of nice formed dirt roads. I will be meeting PLUG Thursday evening at work and may try sending a txt then if you're not online.

Transalper
30th November 2006, 08:28
Spoke to PLUG, we think a blast around the Bays, out toward Akaroa via shingle road and stock tracks would be the go on Saturday and off to the Kiwibiker BBQ after. TXT is sent.

SDU
30th November 2006, 13:33
Hi WBR
Hope you're enjoying your visit. Buggar about the crap weather but hope you get to catch up with everyone on Sat at the KB BBQ.
The trip to Akaroa is a must to do when in ChCh, even if you do it on the seal its a good ride.
There are 4WD tracks that you can play around on at the Waimakariri River. Some beaut places you can get stuck in, so if you can ride with someone is best. Can't show you the track's sorry as working.
Be aware that water levels can rise rapidly. Don't be fooled by sunny weather as it can flood when a nor westerly blows.
Maybe someone can show you around on your next visit.
As for work watch the papers plenty of temp work around with the lead up to xmas.

far queue
30th November 2006, 13:46
Some beaut places you can get stuck inEspecially if you can't reach the ground :bleh:

I probably won't be able to make the Sat ride due to other circumstances. But I'm planning to be at the BBQ.

Transalper
1st December 2006, 15:17
Ok just heard back from my TXT, we are on for Saturday riding dirt proberbly out toward Akaroa, will post a definate meeting place/time tonight, expect something like 9am depart from... TBA.
Back for the BBQ (if a little late)

Transalper
1st December 2006, 20:05
Were hitting the road at 9:15am from outside the Canterbury Rides Shop in Ferry Rd.
Bring ya lunch or at least a snack and drink.
Plan is a little open, going over Evans pass to start, round the bays and hitting shingle around Port Levy.

Transalper
4th December 2006, 22:27
I see the UK lad has had a KB name change.

Anyhow, here's some photos from Saturdays play.

Transalper
4th December 2006, 22:31
And another